“Not a place if you are more rushed...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: X2 bus stop on 3rd St.
Washington DC
“Not a place if you are more rushed...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The food was okay with some good New Orleans spice, but the selection was limited if you are not a big seafood eater and the prices were high for the quality of the food. The beignets were decent and my favorite part of the meal. The salads were all mixed greens, which was a pleasant surprise to some of the cheaper lettuces; however, it looked like i got the bottom of the mixed greens bag where the lettuce is wilty and brown.

The atmosphere is fun and truly New Orleans in flair and flavor. I was tired having worked a 12 hour day, so I was ready to eat and leave. There were 3 other small tables, and it ended up we waited almost 45 minutes to get our check!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Washington, DC
“Decent food. Ridiculous prices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

went to tru orleans on a weekday night - had a decent jazz combo playing though for a relaxed dinner, they were pretty loud. Still if you are looking for some live music, I'd say that is a draw. The food here is basic but tasty and pretty good quality. Greens were ordered were fantastic. The majot put off was the pricing and the menu. We were not drinking that night, and ordered one appetizer to share, 2 pretty standard entrees and a side of dirty rice. No dessert. Before tip the bill was between 65 and 70 dollars. Dropping $30+ for jambalaya is insane, when I can drive 10 minutes to a handful of truly great restaurants with comparable prices. To add insult to injury, the menu has crazy limitations and upcharges. Entrees come with a side. But not the macaroni and cheese or the dirty rice? Thats an $8 upcharge...for starch based sides? Really? If the question were about the food alone, I'd go back for some jambalaya and jazz. At those rates, I wont be back.

Visited May 2012
Washington, DC
“Bar scene ok but don't bother for food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

New Orleans-style wrought iron decorations on outside could lure you in to try the fare but don't bother, at least for the food, which was mediocre and overpriced. But if you're into an interesting bar scene, try it out.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very tasty food, good prices, messed up martini”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We're trying out all the new restaurants on H Street NE and found this one to be terrific with very tasty home-style cooked food, good prices and good service, altho' somehow between the waiter and bar my "martini with a lemon twist" turned into a "lemon drop" which is way too sweet for me but I swallowed it anyway as I'd just had a Hurricane Category 2 (if you liked sweet mixed drinks get one of these, but get category 6).. I had a terrific delmonico steak with red beans and rice and saurkraut (very fresh!) and hubster had chicken alfredo which he said was quite good. The three-layer chocolate cake with dark chocolate icing was delish and big enuf for two to share. Coffee was so-so. The atmosphere here is lively and I bet in the warmer weather when they open up the awnings on the upstairs deck it's a blast. Wheelchair users can only get to the ground floor of the restaurant and I don't know if the toilets are wheelchair accessible as I didn't check them out but if you're choosing between Ethiopic across the street and this one, choose Truorleans.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Cozy place and comfort food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

My sorority sisters and I decided to try this restaurant out because they were able to accommodate our large group without any hassle. I love the location of the restaurant. I was able to find a parking space without paying a meter!! Guests can be seated both upstairs or downstairs. Our group sat upstairs in a great spot and we had access to a nice sized television should we care to watch. Our waiter was very good, and he was able to handle all 14 of us :-). Some of my friends had the shrimp and grits, and raved how good it was. I had the shrimp po boy, and it was very filling. I enjoyed the mimosas as well. The beignets were ok, however, I'm partial because I LOVE Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. Overall, it was a great dining experience.

• Visited December 2011