“"Best First Impression" of the Year” 5 of 5 stars

Sofitel Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   806 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20005   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save 20%!
Ranked #9 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Alabama
“"Best First Impression" of the Year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

It's Academy time so I think it's only appropriate to title this accordingly. This is my first stay with Sofitel in DC. I typically wait until later in my stay to post my review but feel it's only fitting to go ahead and write this while it's still so fresh on my mind and I'm only here for two nights, unfortunately.

I was greeted at my cab by a hotel doorman who was very much a gentleman offering to take my bag but I only had the one bag so I did not need the assistance but he went out of his way to open the doors and greet me warmly.

But the winner for the "Best First Impression" of the year award goes to Kathleen who met me at the check in counter. She greeted me before I got to the counter offering her assistance. Her warm smile and greeting is not typical for most upscale hotels in DC. She quickly learned that this was my first stay with Sofitel DC and she said something to the effect of "I will make sure you have a wonderful first experience". Though I arrived very early (around 10:30 a.m.) she quickly looked at room options and "apologized" and said she only had lower level rooms (as if I had requested a higher level floor). It did not matter to me but she says "I've got this great corner room on 2nd floor. It's one of my favorite room layouts. There may be one drawback. It's close to the street so if street noise bothers you I need to find you something else." I assured her that with my ever present white noise machine the traffic would not be a problem. She said "If you walk in the room and if there's a whisper there will be a problem, you come back down immediately and I will take care of it!" She then offered to sign me up for their customer loyalty program. She said "If you have a business card, I will take care of it and you won't have to fill out a thing". She finished checking me in and then she proceeded to come around the check in desk to shake my hand, to welcome me to the hotel and to point out the business center, the lounge, and the restaurant. With that a bellman was standing next to her to offer to assist me to the room.

Upon entering the room, I quickly saw why Kathleen likes this floor plan. It's large with large windows all the around two walls. The foyer leads into a large room with dark grain wood finishings, soft colored walls, carpets, and draperies and multiple low and bright light sources that are unique to this hotel room. This room's marble bathroom is actually "around the corner" on the opposite side of the king bed, hidden and out of site of the sitting area. Though I am here on business I feel like I am at a nice spa hotel.

The hotel is great but what set it apart was the personal and sincere interest displayed by the hotel staff when I arrived, particularly by Kathleen. I hope the hotel will recognize her in some way for waht she does......it's not "fake".....I think she truly enjoys her job and it has really made my day! I will be back and I will be staying at the Sofitel DC again.

By the way.....the noisy corner room on 2nd floor.....I've been in here most of the afternoon and I promise it is the quietest room I have ever been in while in DC and I've stayed in hotels on very high floors with far more noise. And I haven't even turned my white noise machine on yet

Dr. E

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

My wife and I had our anniversary on the 22nd of January. She came down with the flu and 6 hours prior to our arrival, we cancelled. Hotel Reservation Manager/Ian changed our reservation to the 29th with no hassle whatsoever. That was the start to our experience with one of the most professionally run and staffed hotels we've encountered. From the valet parking to the doorman, front desk and restaurant staff we were made to feel that our comfort was the staff's only concern. Just as an example, upon arriving at the front desk for check-in, we were welcomed with a greeting of happy anniversary Mr and Mrs. M. When we got to our room, there was a slice of french pastry waiting with "happy anniversary" in chocolate script. We will no doubt return to this hotel when in the Washington area again. Absolutely First Class.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
NYC

The area:
This is the section of Washington that has some of the most elegant buildings and some of the oldest hotels. As it turns out now there are some very large prewar luxury apartment conversions well. Wide streets are characteristic of the area around the White house and Lafayette Park is right there.
This is really downtown near museums and federal buildings, The Department of the Treasury, The American Bar Association Etc. Now there are more great restaurant choices as well. I grew up walking all over this area but never stayed in a hotel here.
The hotel:
The Sofitel is fabulously comfortable, chic, understated and very roomy. The lighting is particularly atmospheric. The food is very good, the decor is quiet and restful but not boring. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. I wanted to stay within walking distance of the National Gallery and the Freer. I could not have chosen better than the Sofitel on 15th and H. The Metro is right there and Union Station is a stones throw away. I met a friend at the recommended Potenza across the street. Breakfast and dinner at Ici in the hotel were great! I was given a whole head of boston lettuce in my salad, the best I have ever had. Unbelievable creme brulee. It was hard to check out! I will be back!

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

Visiting DC during one of the many snowstorms. The staff in the hotel, restaurant and the bar went out of their way to make sure everything I needed was taken care of. But it would be like that even if there was not a snowstorm. Not the first time I have experienced their wonderful hospitality! I will be back!

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Gloucester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

We stayed here for a weekend trip and had a lovely time. Great location, close to museums, restaurants & bars, and shopping. The breakfast was delicious. The bedding was very comfortable. The best part of our trip was the attitude and attentiveness of the staff. Everyone (doorman, desk, wait staff, housekeeping) was very friendly, approachable and accommodating.

One caution...If you want a view of the city, then make sure to book an outside room. We purposely booked an inside room because we didn't plan on spending much time in the room itself. We were very happy with it...all we needed was the morning sunshine anyway.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

The Sofitel never disappoints with its service and amenities. The staff is very professional, efficient and accommodating. Room service and the restaurant are reliably very good. Excellent location as well. Great lobby bar area too.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sofitel Washington DC? Share your experiences!