“Charming and comfortable hotel with great location” 5 of 5 stars

Sofitel Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   806 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20005   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save 20%!
Ranked #8 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Paris, France
“Charming and comfortable hotel with great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

Even if the French theme may go overboard at times - I think this hotel is really good. Charming and attentive service. Rooms are well taken care of and well equipped. Comfortable bed. Fully recommend it.

• Liked — Charming team
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Clinton, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

I stayed at the Sofitel to break up a business trip and I couldn't have been more pleased with the change of pace that the Sofitel offered. The furnishings are refreshingly modern and my room was fantastic. It was extremely quiet with plenty of space. The beds are soft and perfect for sleeping in. The bathroom was fantastic with a glassed in shower and nice bathtub with provided robe. I never ever feel comfortable enough to take a bath in hotels - but didn't hesitate in this hotel. Wish I could have extended my stay here and is one of the few hotels in DC that I will continue to keep booking.

Perfect location - within walking distance to the Old Ebbitt Grill for dinner and close enough for walking to the White House and the monuments.

Also, my room ended up being the handicap accessible room and it had a doorbell and extra shower without a step-up.

• Liked — Modern decor, convenient location
  • Disliked — Bar closes early
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

Just wrapped up the weekend in D.C. at the Sofitel. Have stayed at several Sofitel's previously (mostly in France and Asia).

Pro's

- Location is fantastic. Right around the corner from the White House, walking distance to the Mall (close to Washington Monument), close to Reagan National Airport, restaurants, banks, convnience stores all nearby. Also a quiet part of the city so light sleepers need not worry here.

- Hotel Bar - when they want to Sofitel really can design a great hotel bar (Chicago Sofitel is great example and this was no exception). Nice vibe, great (and friendly) service, big plus for the hotel.

- Service throughout the hotel was very good. Check-in, Concierge, Bellman, Restaurant, Bar -- all provided great service.

Con's

- Amenities in the room were minimal (shampoo, conditioner, hand soap). At $350 per night I would have at least thought they would give a toothbrush and some mouthwash.

- Bed was sunken; woke up with a backache.

Overall, I may try the Hyatt next time as it was nearby.

• Liked — Location and service
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed August 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Sofitel on Aug 3-5 for an anniversary getaway. I booked this hotel in particular because it was rated #1 on Tripadvisor at the time I planned the trip. The hotel was very clean and the bathroom did not disappoint. The separate tub and shower were wonderful and the bed was more comfortable than ours at home. My husband's only complaint was that we did not have a top sheet for the bed, just a comforter, and the size of the room was a bit small. I joined the Sofitel member program thinking that would get us an upgraded room, as advertised, but apparently you have to be a "gold" member to receive most of the perks including the upgraded room.

The location could not have been better. There was a Starbucks on the opposite corner and it was only a short walk to the Mall area. Old Ebbit's Grill is about a block away and the food there was excellent and reasonably priced. We really did not see anyone in the hotel restaurant, but that may have been because it was during the weekend and the hotel seemed to cater to a more business crowd. We ordered late night dessert (cheesecake and chocolate mud pie) for room service one evening and it was really good and quick.

Overall, it was a nice stay. I had hoped our anniversary would have been acknowledged since it was mentioned when I booked, but I guess we are not that lucky when it comes to occassion upgrades, etc.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness; the comfortable bed, bathroom
  • Disliked — size of room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

The hotel room is nicely decorated and is a good size for a big city hotel room. Bedding is nice and the bathroom has a separate glass shower and bath tub.

Location is very close to the White House. I found that I could walk to most places in 15-20 min or easily take the metro. The metro stop is only one block away.

I joined the Sofitel frequent guest program prior to my stay. My room was automatically upgraded, there was welcome note from the mgr, a coupon for a free glass of champagne at the bar, and a small box of chocolates to greet me. All very nice touches!

I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

Simply the best hotel in the area, rooms, food , service and location were all 1st class.

• Liked — it all
  • Disliked — too comfy, didn't want to get out of bed
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

My daughter and I spent the weekend at the Sofitel. We checked in Friday night and thought the room, a delux with double beds and a city vew for $219.99 per night, a good value. The room was spacious with a sitting area and nice marbled bathroom with a seperate shower and tub. The furniture in the room was a bit worn but the beds were comfortable.
We left the room on Saturday from 10-3 and housekeeping had not cleaned the room upon our return. They did call at 5 asking if we would like the room cleaned. The hotel advertises turn down service each evening, but that service was never rendered the first evening. Room service was timely and tasty. The hotel is located very close to a Metro station and the doormen were on their toes throughout our stay.
On the day of our departure I had asked for a late check out at 2 PM . Upon our return to the hotel at 1 we found that our keys would not open the door to our room and I had to return to the desk to remind them of our request for late check out. They graciously re-programmed our keys.
With all of the boutique hotels availablr in DC I think I might try another one next time.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sofitel Washington DC? Share your experiences!