“Excellent - Will definitely return” 5 of 5 stars

Sofitel Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   806 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20005   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save 20%!
Ranked #9 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
UAE
“Excellent - Will definitely return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

We have just spent one night at the Sofitel Washington and were delighted with the hotel. The location is great.....just a short walk to the White House!!! All the staff were excellent.....smiling, attentive and very helpful and the room was modern, nicely finished and spotlessly clean. We had breakfast included...it wasn't a buffet breakfast, but the menu choices were very good and the portions were fresh and substantial. Personally, I much pefer freshly made to order food rather than the re-heated buffets.

We didn't dine at the hotel, but opted to go across the road to eat al fresco in Potenza (a really nice Italian style restaurant). The hotel was also very near the underground and we felt extremely safe walking around both day and night. All in all, an excellent hotel and we definitely hope to return on our next visit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
Merci!
I am happy you enjoyed your experience dining with us at iCi Urban Bistro. We pride ourselves in offering a variety of delicious breakfast options a la carte, all made fresh daily, ready to serve. We bake our croissants and pastry in house and purchase much of our produce at the local farmer's market. I hope you will join us again soon, and next time, come for dinner, we have an equally enticing menu!

Olivier Perret
Executive Chef

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New Haven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Can't say enough about the friendliness of the hotel. All requests were taken seriously, yet staff was warm and gracious. I stayed here on and off for a week (on business) and on my last night was upgraded into an executive suite. Staff goes out of their way to make your trip a pleasant one.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

I cannot say enough about the space in the standard guestrooms. The bedroom is separated from the bathroom with an entryway and closet. The bathroom has a European-style tub and separate shower and plenty of room. The bedroom is spacy and comfortable, but the position of the tv is strange, making it difficult to stay in bed and watch.

The Sofitel has a self-service business center just off the lobby that was fully stocked with updated computers and printers. This would meet needs for most any business situation, although it is somewhat cramped. There are only 3 workstations, so it could easily become overwhelmed during a convention.

It is hard to do breakfast for under $25, and the options are more suited for European travelers. Rice and tomatoes would not be my first choice, but they turned out halfway decent for breakfast.

Overall, a pleasant stay with much more good than bad.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed at the Sofitel for 3 nights ending August 29th and very pleased. A very pleasant, competent lady greeted us at the front desk (Cecile) and check in was a breeze. We were in a superior king bed and were given an interior room, 431. I have read conflicting reports about noise and bathroom size on TA, and have some answers. Ours seemed to be a room designed for those with disabilities because our bathroom was HUGE! It had 2 showers, a separate tub and a 36" entrance door. Also, our room was exceptionally quiet, even with a busy road just a few floors below us and a nearby airport, which I believe has some to do with being in an interior room, which we enjoyed. The view was none, but I doubt that any of the rooms would have a spectacular view in any event, so the quiet was much appreciated.

The bedding is of high quality, as expected as were the bath towels and the bed super comfy. The room itself was rather large, however I do agree with the comments about the small closet to hang clothes. Not a big deal whatsoever to us, just a note. The complimentary coffee in the morning is quite good and the free internet (and computer/printer) use in the lobby was a plus.

The doorman all greeted us cheerfully, and were extremely helpful, whether we were coming or going, the front desk was a delight to deal with, as was the concierge, usually. (Our first experience with Sophia was exceptional, but a later run in with the other person down there was rather disappointing! Less informative, less helpful, less pleasant to deal with....but she was probably doing her best.....she just isn't up to snuff with her co-workers! BTW it is our only fault with the hotel)

Didn't eat in the restaurant, so no comments one way or the other, but did manage lunch twice across the street at Devon & Blakely's and we highly recommend it! Fresh personalized salads, fresh bakery, and an incredible deli. And if you sit on the sidewalk, you will have a view of the Washington Monument in the background. Another great lunch option (dinner too!) is Potenza. It's also on the corner and some of the best Italian we have had.

Getting here: It's on 15th & H street. We took the metro and regardless of what others have wrote, it is LESS than ONE short block from the Metro station. (We walked it this morning!) Take the blue line from RR national airport (or orange if that is convenient from your starting point) and exit at McPhearson Square. If on the blue line from the airport, then head in the same direction as the metro traveled that brought you there to the Vermont street exit. Upon reaching the street, you are essentially looking at the backside of the hotel. With McPhearson park across the street and on your left, continue to the first street which is 15th street and turn right. You'll see the entrance under the flags. Very very easy.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

The hotel was very nice, spacious rooms and big beds. Even though my room was on the 2nd floor, I wasn't bothered by traffic at all because of the isolation.

Anyway, on my way back home I discovered I forgot to pack a pair of cufflinks in the bathroom. Upon calling the Sofitel lost&found service, my call wasn't returned, and upon calling back the day after my request to check up on my cufflinks was met with reluctance, of course they weren't found. Quite disappointing.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
I am glad you are fond of our hotel and had a comfortable stay in our spacious rooms. I apologize, however, that you have had an unpleasant experience while recovering your cufflinks that were left behind. This is certainly not our standard, and we are looking into the situation. Our Lost and Found department is available by phone throughout the day, and in the afternoon a representative is available to retrieve items from our secure storage safe. If your message was left in the evening, it is probable that you received our voicemail instructing you to leave your information and details so that we can call you back within 24 hours. I can assure you that we aim to take care of our guests and their belongings in the most prompt manner possible, while maintaining the security of their items, and providing friendly welcoming service. I hope that you will return and stay with us again; we look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy a true Sofitel experience of service, luxury and attention to detail.

Anna Chaley Croll
Guest Relations
Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

All I can say is that this stay was better than expected. Nothing at all to fault and the location was fantastic. If going to Washington DC, you must really consider this hotel as your base.

One thing just came to mind - my A-Club level (GOLD) really wasn't acknowledged nor was I given any of my normal benefits. Loyalty should be rewarded or at least mentioned. That's all. I must have been too tired from travelling to remember :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

My family and I stayed at the Sofitel at the end of May during the Memorial Day weekend. This vacation was the second half of a vacation that began in Annapolis Maryland. We took the train from Baltimore to D.C. and then a short cab ride to the hotel which is about a block from the White House. We had arranged two rooms one with a king bed and the other (for our sons) with two doubles. On arrival we were met by very friendly front desk staff who informed us that the doubles had been overbooked and that they had taken the opportunity to upgrade our sons to two seperate king rooms. FANTASTIC. The rooms were spacious and very (and I mean very) comfortable. We ordered coffee through room service for the morning and received great French press roast with melt in your mouth morning pastries. And all very reasonable. We enjoyed drinks at night in a very relaxing outdoor lounge where the manager made sure that all was as expected. We were treated likewise by all the staff. There's no question as to where we'll stay in D.C. when we return and I can recommend it highly to my fellow Tripadvisor travelers.
NOTE: Be advised that Memorial Day Weekend is celebrated in D.C. by thousands (yes, thousands) of wonderfully patriotic motorcycle riders. The pride that is shown for the U.S. by these people is something worth experiencing. But be advised, it is noisy and can get crowded at the sites you may want to visit.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sofitel Washington DC? Share your experiences!