“Fabulous! Fabulous ! !” 5 of 5 stars

Sofitel Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   806 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20005   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save 20%!
Ranked #8 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Peabody, Massachusetts
“Fabulous! Fabulous ! !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Had a wonderful weekend in Washington . Staff extremely courteous,attentive and eager to
please. Made reservation and added another for my daughter and son-in- law few days later.
Requested and got early check-in and late check out ,When we checked in because it was
family we were given a suite with 2 rooms corner(city view which I had upgraded to when I
booked the 2 rooms) to keep us together which was wonderful gesture on their part. Very
clean and well taken care of. Great location, easy walk to many attractions.Only had
Breakfast there excellent. Would stay there again without any reservations!

HR

Room Tip: City view ordinarily a little more hotel sent me e-mail to upgrade to city view for small extra fee...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Anna Chaley C, Director of Guest Relations at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Thank you for choosing Sofitel Washington D.C. for your family visit. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and the personal service we strive to provide to our guests. We hope to be your hotel of choice for any future travels to the city, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Anna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Very nice property, well-located a couple blocks from the White House and a block from the McPherson Square metro station. Front desk staff were all great, especially Emily who graciously accommodated our request for a quieter room (our first room was on the second floor directly over the front entrance, and early morning conversations on the sidewalk woke my husband). We were moved to a larger room several floors higher - I believe it was an upgrade from a superior to a deluxe room?

The property is attractive, the rooms well-appointed with an iron & ironing board, a comfortable bed, blackout curtains, good bedside lighting and adequate electrical outlets. Free wi-fi was relatively easy to access and fast. However, it didn’t quite rate 5 stars due to a number of little things, and more significantly the poor service in the very overpriced restaurant.

What could be improved? The water pressure in the shower was very low, but I suspect this is a citywide issue, as we found public drinking fountains unusable for the same reason. More drawer space (only 2 tiny ones) and more hangers (which were provided on request) would be nice. The bath towels are rather small and cheap. The bed had no top sheet, only a duvet inside a cover, which does not provide much flexibility temperature-wise. More consistent attention to housekeeping issues is needed – the safe was broken in our first room, there were no hand towels in our second room, bathroom amenities are not replenished, and we never received turn-down service during our 4-night stay (I didn’t even know they had it, until I read other reviews noting it was inconsistently provided).

A bit more on the restaurant...hard to believe this is run by the same business that provides such excellent service at the front desk and concierge desk. We had drinks on the patio twice, and breakfast once, and each time found the service pleasant but slow. At breakfast, there was no hostess in evidence, so people were standing around looking to be seated and the wait staff were seating guests. The couple at the next table, seated later, received their order before us. In the bar, two sambucas and a coffee with Bailey's came to $44 plus tip. Iced teas arrived in smallish glasses with a single ice cube each...on a very hot day. We asked for more ice, and also had to ask for sweetener as none was brought or offered. And no refills were offered either, despite the $5.50 price tag (each). We gave up on the bar & restaurant after that, and walked a block to Starbucks or further up 14th for breakfast.

Overall, we were happy with the Sofitel and would stay here again, particularly as the location was so good. But it was not so fabulous that I wouldn't consider alternatives.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located one block from the White House and within easy walking distance of shops and good restaurants. The room was large with a pleasant outlook onto 15th Ave from the 6th floor. Our room was well equipped and clean. The concierge service and recommendations were excellent, in particular , Germaine.
Breakfast in the hotel was average and expensive with poor service, we gave up on it. The service at Le Bar was excellent. We stayed 5 nights yet only had the turn down service once, not a big thing, just weird.
We would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
kildare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

this is not a 5 star property, and as per other reviews furnishings in the rooms are tatty and need replacing.
location is very good and staff very pleasant.
you have to request turn down service, however even though we did it never happened, I was told that the turn down ladies were ill......well why not replace them......
bathroom amenities were not replaced, and as there were 3 of us in the room we had to keep asking for shower gels etc
water was not provided unless you requested it
I think there are far better hotels in the area
sorry Sofitel I don't think we will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Our Housekeeping department strives to provide efficient and timely service to all of our guestrooms each day. We offer daily turndown service as well as refreshments of the bath amenities according to how many guests are booked on the reservation. While turndown service includes bottled water, we also have chilled bottles available all day at the Concierge desk for those warm August days! Remember to leave the Do Not Disturb sign off of your guestroom door when you leave to ensure that the Housekeeping Ambassador can enter to provide service and turndown. I do hope you will come back and join us again to enjoy the true Sofitel experience that so many of our guests have come to love.

Basseterre, St. Kitts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

First time visiting DC and wanted it to be as close to perfect as possible. The visit was because my first son wanted to visit the Smithsonian museums. So we planned a four day, three night stay. He also loves to stay in hotels. So, there was much pressure.

I looked intensely on the internet. Closely reading about hotels. Narrowed it down to three. Location was not a negotiable position as I knew I would prefer walking. Then, I just said, Sofitel it is.

We arrived earlier than checking in time. That was no problem. A warm welcome from the valet, bellman and front desk. Checking in was flawless. We were in our room within fifteen minutes (if so long).

The room!!!!!! Lovely!!!!!!! We had a luxury double. Outstanding!!!!! Simply amazing!!!!!! Nice size. It was my mom, me and my two sons. There was ample space for them to romp. The beds were comfortable. Linens soft. There was a sofa and a love seat. Bathroom nice appointed. The shower and bath were separate so two persons can bathe at a time. Just great!!!!!

The closet area was good. Separate again so one could be there and not disturb anyone.

I have children who love luxurious things. They were thoroughly pleased. Room service outstanding. They loved that. Food good quality. And even those personnel were very professional and warm. Very engaging and pleasant.

Everyday was great. Staff always greeted you. In our second day, we returned and the door man said we looked tired. We were. He offered us water and brought them right away.

We could comfortably walk to the National Mall and all the monuments. You could even take a taxi at a cost of no more than $13. White House just there around the corners. Location could not have asked for anything more. Bus stop right out the door. Metro literally around the block. Restaurants out infront if you do not want room service.

Checking out was just as easy as checking in. And the front desk clerk was so pleasant even at that early time of the day (4:30 in the morning). He was especially pleasant. Asking if I used the safe deposit box just to know if I may have forgotten anything. Then, he literally walked around and brought my statement to put in my hand. Gave me some water for the trip home. Walked me all the way to the taxi. Waved as we drove off. Imagine that!!!!!

Simply magnifique!!!!

Stayed August 2014
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I've stayed in a few Sofitel's over the past few years, but this one wasn't up to the standard of the others.

First, the decor was shabby. Scratched cabinets and tatty surfaces in my room, chairs in the bar falling apart, the hotel directory and room service menu in my room were falling apart. I've seen worse, but it's not acceptable for a hotel of this class.

Second, cleaning was bad! When I arrived, I had rubbish in my bins, cream smeared all over the desk and the previous guests manky soap still in the dish. In another room, my brother reported black hair all over the bathroom.

Towels and amenities frequently weren't replaced and staff seemed to be juggling them from room to room! By the 4th night, I had no soap or shampoo, my brother was down to his last towel. On another day, he came back to find that all the toilet roll had been taken out of his room. and when I bought three bottles of water in a shop two of them got taken away!

Third, service was terrible. A man came into my room while I was sleeping, and spent 15 minutes clattering about emptying and replacing the contents of the minibar. I waited 20 minutes for a menu in a near-empty bar, and 45 minutes from entering the restaurant to getting our breakfast. When there was a mistake with our dishes in the bar, an argument ensued between four memebers off staff. After five minutes, a waiter came back with the exact same dishes and insisted that I'd made a mistake. In the end I completely lost my rag, and suggested that maybe he just walk to the kitchen and put the missing scoops of ice cream onto our now cold desserts...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We strive to provide our guests with genuine, personal service. As you know, our General Manager, Jean-Christophe Gras, is aware of your feedback and has been in touch with you personally. I can only reiterate his words to you that this is most certainly atypical of Sofitel, and I am confident that when you join us again, you will experience a flawless visit, like so many other guests do each day. We look forward to welcoming you back then.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

The Sofitel is in a fantastic DC location - literally a 2 minute walk to the White House and convenient for all major attractions and good metro stations.

We paid for an upgraded "Luxury" room but it was on the second floor and was very small - could management confirm if 220 is really a "Luxury" room or if we got auto-downgraded without knowing? If this was a "Luxury" room I'd be very surprised as it was nothing special; it was very small and the layout was a little annoying with the bathroom doors right next to the side of the bed. The bathroom is luxurious but the bath is absolutely tiny. Housekeeping never replenished the bathroom amenities - that needs some attention. Also, to not have a coffee maker in the room is completely unacceptable. They do offer free coffee in the hotel bar but it's not much to ask for an in-room machine, especially at this price point. As is usual for Sofitel hotels the bed was really comfortable with excellent pillows and linens. Free in-room WiFi worked well.

It rained heavily during our stay and we appreciated the complimentary umbrellas from the concierge. The bellman was very efficient and friendly but the front desk staff were hit and miss.

Overall, a nice hotel in a great location but we might try somewhere else next time as the room was a disappointment for the $$$.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for a "Luxury" room - or if you do, make sure you don't...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Washington DC? Share your experiences!