“Great Location and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Sofitel Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   806 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20005   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save 20%!
Ranked #9 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Great Location and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Spent 2 nights here in January
Excellent location handy to the White House and tourist locations.
The hotel is close to the hop on and hop off bus and Subway.
The room was clean and well appointed
The free Coffee and Newspaper was a nice touch
The staff were helpful...
I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! You mentioned many of the prime amenities that our guests most enjoy, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Anna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

This hotel has almost all what it would need to be ranked at the top: ideal location, very friendly and effective staff, spacious and well furnished rooms, and a good (very good) restaurant. The only little minus is that the rooms could do with a bit of maintenance. In my room the bathroom had sliding doors with frosted glass, which indeed looks very nice ... except that these are almost impossible to close, and certainly impossible to close properly. Now, being alone this is at best a minor annoyance - but, had I been together with a companion this would have been somewhat more embarrassing... And, many room doors did not close properly (including mine), resulting in plenty of slamming and therefore unnecessary noise. A bit of a shame, for a hotel which would otherwise deserve top marks.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We take your feedback to heart, and I am happy to say that we are constantly refreshing and updating our guestrooms and public areas to maintain a contemporary and comfortable environment for our guests. Hopefully you will return in the near future and be able to enjoy these upgrades!

Merci,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I booked a "staycation" to treat myself to a luxurious evening, anticipating a wonderful room service experience in the morning. I have done this on several occasions at this hotel and found their room service to be outstanding. This trip however, was a grave disappointment. Eggs ordered over easy were well-done and the replacement which I switched to scrambled soft, was also over cooked and the bacon and coffee (French press) were cold. I ordered the breakfast which comes with a basket of pastries which were not delivered because the room service expeditor cancelled the basket because I declined the toast. At almost $40 with service charges, this was truly a damper on the experience that I anticipated.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
First and foremost thank you for your loyalty to Sofitel, and for choosing us as your staycation destination. We know very well how important it is to be able to relax and unwind every once in a while, and we are here to help you treat yourself. That said, I apologize that this last visit did not meet the standards you have come to expect from us. As you mentioned, you have always enjoyed your experiences with us, and I can assure you that this was an unfortunate exception that will not reoccur on your next stay. That said, please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to personally take care of your reservation.

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We travel to DC frequently and normally stay in the Dupont Circle/Foggy Bottom area. We will stay here from now on. The staff at the Sofitel was amazing! So helpful and nice! The room was perfect. Wonderful big bathrooms with rain shower heads. Free coffee and newspapers in the bar in the mornings and a nice restaurant.
The location can't be beat. We were able to get around by Metro most of the time and the McPherson stop is 1 block away. Loved my 3 night stay!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
As a frequent traveler to Washington, we know you have a choice of accommodations, so I thank you for selecting us for this visit. With Dupont Circle and Foggy bottom not so far away, I hope you will consider now us your home away from home in the city.

West Chester Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I travel a lot and I have stayed in hundreds of hotels in my life both for business and for fun. I like boutique hotels sometimes but in big cities I would rather stay in a larger hotel with more amenities. And of course there are the usual hotels and I belong to them for the points and because I can always get last minute reservations, whatever. But I have to say that Sofitel is really the best mix of "big" with "charm". The Sofitels in any city are always big enough that you can get room service late at night, a nice bar, and anything else that could want in a large hotel. But because they are French they have terrific food and an ambiance that is totally different than big American chain hotels. The employees are different and they treat you differently. Especially in the Washington Sofitel. They talk to you like you are a guest in their home rather than a hotel. The people in this hotel actually like their jobs and if you ask, they tell you that they like their jobs. The atmosphere is warm and inviting rather than glitzy. Nobody is trying to impress you with the latest and greatest. I have always thought that your hotel should be a refuge from your daily crazy travel life and the Washington Sofitel is that and more. Really very charming. I do a lot of Sofitels when I can but this one particularly felt wonderful. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your loyalty to Sofitel and Accorhotels worldwide. We are flattered that you hold the Sofitel Washington D.C. as one of your top choices within our brand. As you mentioned, it is a unique quality that our ambassadors tend to feel like "family" and most have been with our property or our company for many years. As the Guest Relations Manager, I like to think that this shows through our genuine service to our guests. I always say that the only "cookie cutter" you find here is in the pastry kitchen!!

aussie in usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here from December 27th until January 3rd. Checking in was efficient and pleasant. Having been in transit for over 24 hours it was great to find somewhere fast and tasty (Five Guys around the corner) and hit the hay. Our room was spacious and quiet which was fantastic for us as we were quite jetlagged. However, I am constantly irritated by the lack of a kettle to make a cup of tea! Not everyone drinks coffee ( not that you could do this here either! There are NO facilities for this in your room!) and the horrendous cost of $6.60 for a tea one evening was shameful! Unfortunately I had forgotten that free tea and coffee was only available in the morning. So off we went to Walmart to buy an electric kettle and we were able to have all the tea we liked!
The beds are just too small for two people to comfortably sleep in without rolling into each other.
Despite these small grievances, we had a wonderful stay. The proximity to everything was brilliant and grabbing a quick bite to eat was easy and close in that wonderful city!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your stay in our Nation's Capital. I completely understand your desire to enjoy a cup of tea (or coffee!) anytime of day, which is why we offer complimentary kettles and coffee makers for the room upon request. Just ask!! All of single bedded rooms have king sized beds, so perhaps you were staying in a double room where we offer two beds, and in the luxury double, an extra pull out sofa. For your next stay, ask us about the options for a suite where you have the benefit of an extra pull out sofa, but still have a king sized bed in the master bedroom. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We are loving our stay here at the Sofitel on 15th Street. We arrived 2 evenings ago to a reception filled with gentle candlelight. We have an interconnecting room with our teenage children and both rooms are spacious, though the children's room with 2 doubles is almost twice as large as ours. On arrival we received complimentary wifi after asking and there was a personal note from the Manager, as well as some lovely patisserie and fruit in both rooms which were all gratefully received after the longest journey imaginable. The beds here are heavenly- the sheets especially and in general I found the room to be well appointed and quiet. Unlike some other reviewers I enjoyed the breakfast - they even have a healthy choice menu with calorie count on it and I loved my egg white omelette. The coffee was the best we had in DC - far better than Starbucks and the Lanvin bath products have a gorgeous citrus scent. The staff are genuinely friendly - particularly the door staff who were wonderful and always cheery. The position of the hotel is fabulous and we only ever seemed to pay $10 in a taxi wherever we went. The only negatives I can see were 1) the view from the room of the adjoining building (a brick wall) 2) breakfast is pricey - $10 was charged for a double shot cappuccino 3) the toiletries were not replenished after being discarded 4) the towels are thin and in short supply. Our usual preference is for higher end boutique hotels but I would say on balance this has been my best stay in a chain hotel for a long time. It definitely has a boutique hotel feel about it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
We have many guests that join us from Australia, so we know how important it is after that long journey to arrive to a welcoming comfortable environment! It seems you were in our superior connecting double and king rooms which is a great option for families. Depending on how many you are, another choice is the luxury double room, which has the two beds plus a pull out sofa, and it faces outwards towards the city. We also offer connecting luxury king rooms with an outside door, another great option for families! Let us know when you will be returning to see us again and we will find something for you with a street view.

Anna

Been to Sofitel Washington DC? Share your experiences!