“Excellent hotel, helpful staff, great beds and bathroom” 5 of 5 stars

Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #9 of 138 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City
“Excellent hotel, helpful staff, great beds and bathroom”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have recently given up on staying at the "charming," boutique hotels and now prefer the old reliables. Couldn't get into the Hay-Adams but I found this hotel to be somewhat better value and excellently located for my business meetings in DC. The staff is attentive and helpful, the rooms are relatively large, and the bathrooms are clean and accesible, especially for those traveling with elderly people who have concerns about tub entry, etc. I am a "princess and the pea" sleeper, and I was more comfortable in the Sofitel bed with their luxury linens than in my own home. Nice, free coffee in the lounge in the morning, my only complaint is the wretched painting in my room which, thankfully, was above the bed and I didn't have to gave upon the "art!" I also have liked the London St. James Sofitel as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MarthaF

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Our stay at the Washington Sofitel was very enjoyable, The room was spacious, well appointed, modern, comfortable and above all quiet. The location was also superb. We would definitely stay there again if in the Washington area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank riky123
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Although I only stayed one night at this hotel the service we recieved was great. The location is wonderful for sightseeing and the staff were very friendly.
Our room was a bit on the dreary dark side but the beds and bedding were comfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank ttravelerbug
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

A Sofitel is always a safe option and picked this one due to its location a block from the White House. Initial impressions were very good, quality service by all concerned and an upgrade! Chris the bell-hop showed me to the suite and then proceeded to show me how to work everything things in the 3 rooms. The room was a corner suite, on the 12th floor and was very impressive.

You do get free wifi but decent wifi is a paid for upgrade. Given that wifi is pretty much a utility these days, a $400 a night hotel should provide this FOC IMHO!

Everything in the room was very good, very clean nice bathroom and waterfall shower.

Ate in the restaurant for breakfast on the Saturday and was pretty good, although as usual in the US way too much for a UK appetite....

The bar area on the sidewalk is a pretty cool hangout, but as you would expect pretty pricy!

Great location if visiting the main sights in town. A 2 minute walk to the White House and easily accessible to most other locations.

Only in town for the day so after a high speed tour, ended up going shopping in Georgetown, which is highly recommended too!

Room Tip: I would imagine higher rooms are less noisy given the busy comer the hotel is located on.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank RichardBristol
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Upscale rooms with excellent staff.
Rooms were clean, comfortable, and quiet.
Attentive and professional staff, good restaurant and lounge.
Expensive breakfast but not unanticipated.
Would stay again.

• 3 of 5 stars
Whitehall, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I were disappointed that our usual Omni Shoreham Hotel in DC was completely booked for our yearly visit to DC. After researching so many hotels with apprehension, we chose the Sofitel for our visit because of many positive reviews, and because it was located close to many of the restaurants and places that we wanted to experience. On my way to DC, however, I just hoped that we made the right decision. The Sofitel did live up to the reviews. The staff from the beginning to the end of our stay were very friendly, helpful and very professional. It was a birthday celebration for me, and we received two complimentary drinks at the bar, and a lovely piece of cheesecake was awaiting us in our room. I also received a very nice, welcoming happy birthday card from the manager. It was a good start to our vacation. Here is what we experienced. When we first arrived and pulled up to the hotel, which is directly on 15th Street NW, we were greeted by a young man who immediately starting writing out a ticket for us to use the valet parking. Valet parking at this hotel is $50 a day !!! We kindly told him that we would be using public parking. I will give you the best tip of our vacation....use Parking Panda through the internet and pick a parking garage close to the hotel and save a lot of money. We used the PMI lot on G Street which cost us $100 for 5 days. Make a reservation on line. It was within walking distance of the hotel, but it is long term, and not one that allows you to take your car in and out each day. You can find that type of lot on Parking Panda also. Our car was fine at the end of our vacation. The hotel is very lovely, but not very big. The one thing I missed was not having a small area where we could get a snack after a long afternoon. Our room was nicely designed, very, very new and clean, and the bathroom beautiful with tub and shower. Heat and air conditioning was easy to regulate and worked very well. Very large, warm and comforting bed, and heavy curtains for privacy since it is a city hotel and windows face other buildings. A lot of windows did allow for beautiful natural light during the day. The ONLY negative about the room was there was no coffee maker. Coffee was available at the bar on the main level very early every day. So if you like a cup of coffee first thing in the morning, before you are dressed....someone has to decide to go down to the lobby !! We did have breakfast in the restaurant, which has a patio for warmer mornings. The food was delicious and the service perfect. The first morning we waited just a little too long for our meal, but we recieved a complimentary bowl of fruit for having to wait too long. The next morning, breakfast arrived quickly. The bar area is quite large and comfy with tables and chairs, and a nice bar itself. My husband used the workout facility each morning and said it was very nice and very clean. The hotel is in a very safe part of DC, and there is a METRO station within a block or you can take a nice walk to so many of DC's points of interest. This is an upscale hotel, but not uppity.

3 Thank Caroline D
New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

What an excellent place to stay. If customer service is important to you, then stay here, you won't be disappointed. The staff, service and rooms are fantastic.

I took my husband to Washington, DC for his birthday and I had planned several activities that the concierge helped me coordinate.

When we left the hotel, we felt as though we were saying goodbye to our family. Stay here if you want to be treated like you are special.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com