“Magnifique!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States
“Magnifique!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We bid on a night at the Sofitel at a fundraising auction for our daughter's school and won. We almost let the certificate expire because who REALLY needs a vacation night in a hotel 5 miles from their house?

We are so glad we went!

The property is lovely, a classic old bedroom that truly looks like it was plucked from Paris and set down in the middle of DC, our room was plush and comfortable, and the bathroom was stocked with a line of toiletries made by Hermes.

We were also upgraded to a suite with a separate living room. we were only in the hotel for about 15 hours, so we did not take advantage of most of what it had to offer, but it truly seemed like jewel within easy walking distance to the National Mall, the White House and more of DC's iconic tourist stops.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Staycations are the best!!! I am very happy to know you did not pass up an opportunity to come stay with us, even if you live nearby. We have many guests who come to get away from the everyday pattern or to celebrate special occasions away from the house. I do hope you will come join us again, if not to stay, then at least to enjoy iCi Urban Bistro and Le Bar as so many locals do!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

One of the few hotels that live up to its reputation. The location is excellent, the bell service , receptionist and concierge service are sublime. I loved the ambiance and the rooms, although they were a bit small. Daniel the receptionist and Cynthia the concierge couldn't do enough, not to mention the room service. Sofitel, I'll be back.
The only disappointment , is that we were there for Xmas , and nothing, not even a mint was served.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Happy New Year! Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your holiday visit to the States. I have passed on your kind words to Danny and Cynthia, along with the Front Office team. Chef Frack created a special holiday menu for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years, but I very much appreciate your suggestion to do just a little bit more for our guests staying with us during special times. After all, it is the small things that matter most! I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

O'Brien, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was very impressed that after the reception staff knew it was my birthday, a delightful piece of cake was sent up to the room.
I would suggest eating at another place as the Sofitel Restaurant is convenient but pricey.
The rooms are small but we were given an end room that did have an additional window giving the room more light.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Joyeux Anniversaire! Thank you for celebrating your birthday with us in Washington D.C. Our Executive Chef, Franck Loquet, creates an ever changing seasonal menu that highlights the finest in produce meats and cheeses; French cuisine with an American flare! We also have a brand new menu in Le Bar should you crave a delicious meal, slightly lighter on the wallet. The concierge team is filled with knowledge of all things Washington, and can always recommend terrific options for dining outside of the hotel as well. You can always browse local restaurants from your room on your mobile device using our free wifi!

Seattle, Washington, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The service was fabulous. From the doorman to the front desk to housekeeping. After a busy day of travel, the jazzy music playing when I entered my room and friendly staff made for a relaxing stay. The restaurant had a nice selection and the food was very good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy to know you found comfort and relaxation in your stay at Sofitel. The day is busy enough, you reserve to come back and enjoy a peaceful environment with luxury service to take away the stress! I hope you will join us again soon, and thank you for choosing Sofitel Washington D.C.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My family and I traveled to DC for the Inauguration weekend and we stayed at Sofitel. I can say it was the best hotel experience my family has ever had. The staff was attentive, courteous and genuinely making sure every part of our stay was perfect. The room was great. The gym was perfect for what we needed. We ate breakfast at the restaurant all 3 days and it was amazing -- again the folks working there were so pleasant and friendly. Overall, Sofitel created a warm and wonderful cocoon like environment -- so much so that we almost didnt want to leave to join the festivities around town. We will always stay there from now on if we go back and I certainly will for business travel to DC. If other Sofitel's are like this one in DC we will try there as well. Cant say enough about this hotel. Bravo!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Merci a vous! Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your family trip into Washington D.C. You could not have chosen any place closer to be right in the middle of Inauguration action! I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay, and when you return for business or for other reasons, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will see to it that you find yourself a home away from home at Sofitel. For your convenience, we now offer complimentary wi-fi in all of the rooms, so whether traveling for business or pleasure, your stay will be that much more convenient!

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My sister and I just returned from a three night stay at the Sofitel D.C. Upon arrival we received a pleasant welcome, then a "bonjour" and the check-in was a breeze. Specifically, I'd like to commend Michelle at the front desk who provided exemplarary and courtesy service with our special requests. As for the details of our stay, I'll start by saying that the rooms were a good size and very tastefully decorated with a european flair and very clean. In fact, it was the perfect respite from the crowds and action during an extremely busy Inagural week. There is a bar/lounge located in the lobby that is not to be missed --- it's posh, serves great food and provides courteous service. The location of the hotel was ideal, as it's close to the White House and a good starting point to explore D.C. on foot. Also, want to thank Anna for her great service and helpfulness. The only reservation I had was the size of the elevators-- but the hotel is in a historic building, so I suppose they give the place 'character'. The special touches and great service down to the doorman (ie. when heading out, I never had to open the door during my entire stay) is what makes this hotel special. More than likely I will return to the Sofitel for the Cherry Blossom festival. Thank you for a great experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
You and your sister chose quite an exciting time to visit the Nation's Capital! We had a fabulous time celebrating Inauguration, and like you, we cannot wait for the arrival of the Cherry Blossoms. We will be honored to welcome you back this spring, I know you will enjoy walking around the tidal basin and the monuments with all of the beautiful trees. Then you can return to the hotel and enjoy the open air patios of iCi and Le Bar! A bientot!

Whitby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights in September 2012, at this lovely hotel.
From the moment we arrived we saw he attitude of bellmen, front desk, concierge, room cleaners was outstanding.
They could not have been more helpful in recommendations and overall service.
The room was spotless,and beautifully decorated.

A block and a half from the White House. We could walk to the Mall and all its attractions. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
September is a beautiful time to visit Washington D.C. and it seems this was your experience! SInce you last stayed with us, our chef has launched new menus in all of the outlets, we have given our fitmess center a complete face-lift, and we now offer complimentary wireless internet for all of our guests. The first 4 Star hotel in Washington D.C. to do so! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.