“Friendly and helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #7 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed here with wife and 2 children in December 2012- booked a family room with 2 double beds. On arrival, our room was not ready- but the extremely helpful front desk staff arranged a free upgrade to a junior suite- which was great. All the staff that we encountered- from the front desk to the concierge, the bell-men and restaurant staff were really good- friendly, efficient and helpful. The room was of a high standard, and the meals (we had 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches at the hotel)- were of great quality.
Location was perfect- very close to the White house, close to metro station and sight-seeing bus stop, and within walking distance of Washington monument and most Smithsonian museums. Chinatown is a mere 15 minute walk and has a variety of good restaurants (mostly not Chinese!)
In summary- this is a very high quality hotel, with well trained staff. It is obvious that they strive to maintain a high standard. In fact because of our experience at this hotel, I will try to use the Sofitel group wherever possible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your family trip to the nation's capital! I hope you enjoyed the junior suite, we love that sliding door that separates the living room area for just a little bit of privacy. There are new restaurants opening up each day, so be sure to come back in the spring or summer to join us again. Cherry Blossom season feels just around the corner!

Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

What a pleasure to visit DC while staying at the Sofitel. From the front desk to the bellman to the staff in the bar everyone was gracious and caring. It was obvious the staff wanted my family to have an excellent experience. The rooms were very generously sized, well appointed and immaculately clean. I just loved the Lanvin toiletries as well. In addition the hotel is well situated for sightseeing and for catching the Metro. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide your experience with us. I am happy to know you enjoyed our brand new Lanvin bath amenities, we are very pleased with them as well! I look forward to welcoming you back in 2013, and until then, Happy New Year!

Rossendale UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed just one night after reading tripadvisor's rating. We were not disappointed. REALLY pleasant friendly staff, very comfortable room, perfect location for white House and The Mall. Special comment for the door staff,often over looked, they were so friendly and helpful. Eat here, great value. Breakfast perfection, not the usual buffet. Alacarte and cooked to perfection and presented perfectly. THis was tremendous value. we will certainly return. It was so unlike a capital City hotel that caters for lots of passing trde. They realyy seemed to care. therer was aprblem on arrival not of our making, it was expedias fault. However it was instanly and very cheerfully resolved. Downside no Spa. But so what, get out and see this spectacular City!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing Sofitel, and for using Trip Advisor as a tool for your travels. We hope to welcome you back in the New Year, and do not hesitate to ask the concierge team to arrange for a spa experience just near the hotel. We can also set up an in room massage for you through one of our professional masseuse partners!

ATL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed at thi Sofitel for the first time last week. It is located very, very close to the White House near Lafayette Square. It is in prime location whether for holiday or business (and close to metro stops).

I stayed with a promotion they had that offered a chocolate treat one of the days between 2-5PM. It was a nice plate with 3 different mini pastries and my choice of tea and hot chocolate. Very nice though I had to rush out of work to make it on time.

The bar at the hotel is excellent. The decor creates a great ambience and on warmer months, it also operates outside which I imagine is great for people watching. The specialty cocktails are very nice (and dangerous as I could sip them all night!). I especially liked the Lafayette. The mixologist/bar manager and his staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. I also tried some of the appetizers and the croque monsieur is as good or as better as the ones I used to eat when I was stationed in Paris a decade ago.

Maybe because of the discounted rate, I got a room for handicapped people so I am not sure if the layout/furniture is typical of the rest of the rooms. It was VERY spacious so I could feel I had two different sections of the room. The bathroom was also huge. I wish the room had had stronger lighting towards the door but it had nice small lamps bedside and above the bed.

The hotel also has a gym that is well stocked for a hotel gym and that is not a converted guestroom. I felt like exercising, not running away, when I was there and that's success for any hotel!

I look forward to stay here again when I return to DC in 2013!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for providing your feedback from your experience with us at Sofitel Washington D.C. It seems like you booked the Winter Collection package, and were able to enjoy Pastry Chef Bitauld's chocolate treats, aren't they divine?! Alan Jones is our proud manager of Le Bar, and the creativity behind many of the handcrafted cocktails. They will be designed seasonally, so come back and join us in the warmer months when you can enjoy the patio outside. You can even stop by the concierge for a running map as well, if you can bring yourself to leave our brand new renovated fitness center. We will see you in the New Year!

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Our family was in town for some holiday shopping and to see a show. The location was convenient to several restaurants, the White House Christmas Tree and the theatre where we were seeing the show. It was convenient to shopping as well. We had booked a suite, which was lovely. It was spacious, very clean, and it had great amenities. The tub was large, and it was nice to have both the tub and the shower. there was a foldout sofa for our daughters to share, and there was a large bedroom with great closet space. We had room service for dinner, which was served fast and the food was good. The overall service was what impressed us all. They had special coloring books and toys for our girls. I sustained an injury during our visit, and they were helpful in directing my husband to obtain services we needed. They also allowed us to check out later than regular checkout time so that I could feel well enough to travel. We really appreciated this last touch. Overall, a great stay, and we would return (we come to DC regularly).

Room Tip: suites are great for families. it is quiet and overlooks a courtyard. there is parking. we did no...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your family visit to Washington D.C. I am happy to know your girls enjoyed their stay so thoroughly and I hope you are feeling better! It will be our pleasure to welcome you back in the New Year.

Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

It is with great pleasure that I take a moment of my time to express my most sincere gratitude to the entire Sofitel Washington D.C. Lafayette Square Staff and most notably, the charming and energetic concierge/group coordinator, Selam E. Please allow me to tell you my story of the most amazing engagement and a dream come true, thanks to Sofitel.

While deployed to the Middle East, I began an Internet search looking for proposal ideas and a hotel to enjoy the evening after the proposal. After some discouragement in speaking with other DC hotels, I enlisted my then girlfriend Katharina “Kat” for hotel ideas for a fun night out. She did a search of her own and responded with the Sofitel as a top suggestion. I called the Sofitel to speak about availability but after some quick discussions about my plans to possibly get engaged on that day, we agreed on the Presidential Suite with the Romance Package included was the way to go. I wanted a truly unique experience that evening and Sofitel was able to provide me the feeling that they could deliver, even when I was so many miles away. Even in that first phone call, the Sofitel was showing themselves as so much better then the competition.

When I arrived in the states I started speaking with concierges Cynthia and Selam on a more frequent basis as my ideas and their ideas about the evening began to take shape. Selam was kind enough to meet me at the Sofitel for a face-to-face walk through of the hotel. Where originally I was looking for an after engagement stay, when I left the Sofitel that day I knew the Presidential Suite was where I was going to ask Kat to marry me. The reason I was so sure that I was making the right decision on choosing that as the engagement location was in one word, service. Selam came across to me as more then a hotel employee or a well versed concierge, she has the intangibles that made me feel as if she was my cheerleader on this expedition and I just knew that nothing would ever fall through the cracks because she held her standards in job quality close to her heart. More on that, I was beyond pleasantly surprised that when I arrived at the hotel, Selam had already apprised the staff of the upcoming engagement. I had the opportunity to meet in person with several key staff members to include the General Manager. I truly had a feeling that I had a team behind me, lead by Selam, which gave me a level of confidence and customer loyalty that almost can’t appropriately be put into words. The Presidential Suite and the hotel in general was amazing. Selam was as detailed oriented as I was and we devised a plan on how to decorate the room as well as a way to keep the engagement a secret from Kat, even when the hotel staff knew all along.

As the big day approached, Selam was responsive, excited and continued to give me a feeling that she was on every detail. I had asked for a DVD player so I could play some pictures of Kat and I on a TV. Selam spoke to an audio visual specialist and brought in a flat screen TV connected to a laptop which played the pictures on rotation in high quality. Amazing! I had asked to have a CD playing a specific band when we walked into the room. The CD I made was having trouble playing on some players….no problem, Selam added the sound track to her personal iPod and had that placed into the hotel rooms doc-station which played beautifully over the Bose sound system. We had talked about a flower arrangement; the final product was rose pedals leading from the front door, through a long hallway, into the master bedroom where the bed was adorned in rose pedals in the shape of a heart. We had talked about having a small cake saying, Geoff loves Kat, in the end Selam had arranged for the cake to shaped AS a heart, with both our names on it. I explained to Selam that Kat was German and spoke several different languages. Selam asked that the aforementioned cake be made as a traditional German flavor and style. We discussed a bottle of champagne being in the master bedroom but in the living room having another bottle on ice that had special meaning to Kat and I, a bottle that we said we were going to open only after we were engaged. Selam had great ideas on how to implement all these things and give it a charm that was uniquely Sofitel.

On the big day, many e-mails and texts were sent between Selam, Cynthia and myself. I knew they had it covered, and I let them know of my intended time of arrival. When I approached the valet area, the doorman, whom I had already met, greeted me at the car and gave me my hotel key without Kat seeing. Valet took care of the car, and the bags hit the room within seconds of Kat and I arriving. The plan had come together; Kat had been whisked into the Presidential Suite before she even knew what was happening.

She looked down; saw the rose pedals and comments on how nice a touch that was. Then, as if out of a movie, she stopped and said, “is that music?” Selam had even remembered that I mentioned in passing that it would be nice to hear the music from the front door. Again….amazing. As Kat walked into the Master Bedroom, our favorite songs playing, two years worth of memories flashing over the flat screen TV in perfectly timed intervals, the heart shaped cake, roses on the table that held a chilled bottle of champagne…and then…..a surprise that Selam mentioned she was designing for us that I wasn’t even going to know about until the big day……in Hershey Kisses written out on the bed, “für immer” meaning “forever or always” in German. Needless to say it was a dream proposal, thanks to Sofitel and Selam.

It should be noted that we felt like family throughout our stay. The rest of the evening without a hitch. We had Selam up to the room to meet with Kat almost immediately, we all teared up and took goofy pictures of ourselves. She actually told us to get ready since we were running late! Ha! When we came down to get into our Escalade for the evening, Selam was in the foyer to greet us with a German staff member of Sofitel who assisted in the decorating. Kat and she spoke German for some time…..again, the personal touches were just breath taking. After dinner and a concert we went back to the hotel and ordered not one but two sizable orders of room service, late night snack and morning breakfast. Every time I called reception or room service I was greeted with “congratulations.” That next morning we spoke with Selam again and met personally with David Kianni (Dir. Of Operations) and Brian La Monica (Assist. Dir. Of Revenue Management) to thank them both for everything that had taken place and to share our gratitude.

On behalf of myself and Kat, thanks again to the entire Sofitel Washington D.C. team. Amazing, Amazing, Amazing job!

Geoffry R. G. and Katharina H.

Room Tip: Presidential Suite is AMAZING!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
What a treat it was to be a part of such a fabulous and special occasion! We had a blast assisting you in making a memorable proposal, and could not be happier for you both. We wish you a wonderful engagement and a life filled with love!

Prosit Neujahr!!

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Sofitel Washington DC? Share your experiences!