“Spent my birthday here” 5 of 5 stars

Sofitel Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   806 15th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20005   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save 20%!
Ranked #9 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Bryn Mawr, PA
“Spent my birthday here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel , located within walking distance of museums and restaurants. Fact is we spent the weekend and never moved the car. The room were grand , I liked the layout of the bathrooms so much that I designed my current master bathroom the same way. The staff was friendly and helpful. The concierge even called ahead to the restaurant to tell them I was coming and it was my birthday.

This is a first class hotel with a first class staff.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

This is a really detailed review but here you go! The hotel is located in a great spot within walking distance of everything, close to a metro station (two blocks away) and across from the White House. They definitely play up the "French" angle which I'm sure is really nice for international travelers. The room temperature is in Celsius, there are European outlets (and American), everything is written in French (and English) and you're greeted in French. Having never been to France, my husband and I both thought the French didn't care for hot water since both the bathtub and shower produced only lukewarm water. Not having a hot shower in a hotel room is the worst! After both the evening and morning attempts at getting hot water were quashed we called the front desk and the man said "perhaps you are not using the device correctly, may I send someone up to help you?" That was a nice way of saying "you must be doing something wrong" but they did send someone up to look at it and he was really very nice. At this point, later in the day, the hot water was working great and he said maybe it was because a lot of people were taking showers at the same time before? Or it could have been that you shouldn't pull the knob all the way out, you should turn it to hot and then pull the knob out. Maybe we weren't using "the device correctly" after all! A few minutes later the front desk called and said they were sorry someone hadn't been up to look at the shower yet but would be shortly. This was just another example of how it seemed like there were a lot of details they thought of, but noone really actually paid attention to them or talked to one another. For another example: there weren't extra pillows in the closet, and the reference book in the room said there was a "pillow menu" we could choose from, we just needed to call housekeeping, which sounded great and "luxurious." I called guest services and they said they'd send someone up with pillows. Ten minutes later I got a phone call from the front desk and the man apologized, said there was a "glitch" in the system and housekeeping didn't get the message, but someone would be right up with the pillows, which sounded fine even though I was ready to go to sleep at that point. About 35 - 40 minutes later someone knocked on the door and handed us two pillows. Why there was mention of a "pillow menu" is beyond me! The morning we left, the valet wasn't outside and the woman at the concierge desk said that was odd and that it was because I hadn't looked in the outside door for the valet. How would I know to do that? For a "luxury" hotel, the towel quality was really poor and the view from the room was of a parking lot and some vans (I know that can't be helped). We had a black knob in our bathroom below an intercom that looked like it was supposed to turn a sauna or lamp on and it was broken. The "Do Not Disturb" sign was missing. I took a Coke out of the mini fridge to feel how cold it was, put it back in, and then was charged for it on our bill, even though I didn't drink it. The woman at the front desk was really nice, immediately took it off the bill, but everything seemed to be our fault and the hotel didn't take responsibility for anything which was odd. The bed was great and the location was great, so if that's all that matters, which in a city like DC, where you aren't in your room that much anyway, then go for it! We don't take many trips at all because we have two small children, so I just really wanted to stay at a place where I didn't have to worry about anything, so if that's what you're looking for, I wouldn't pick this place. And as suspected, the room service is expensive and mini-bar items are outrageous. I've never seen a 12 oz. soda for $5.50 before, so I am definitely glad we packed our own snacks and drinks! The valet parking is $42 a night, unless you get there early enough on the weekend to park on the street and then it's free (just pay special attention to all the confusing parking signs so you aren't ticketed or towed). They have complimentary tea and coffee in the mornings in the lobby bar and a restaurant on site. The double reading lamps, free safe and robe and slippers were a nice touch. The view from the room, barely closing bathroom doors, smears on the shower stall, broken ice machine on our floor, small room size were disappointing but didn't ruin anything for us. Would we stay there again? No, but you might love it!

Room Tip: Our room was on the sixth floor, which had a broken ice machine and we faced a parking lot. There wa...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am pleased to know you noticed our French influence as Sofitel creates non-standard luxury hotels worldwide, each one different, by judiciously combining its origins (French elegance, savoir-faire, the art of hospitality) with the best of each country's culture. I am disappointed, however to know that you had a less than satisfactory experience otherwise. We pride ourselves in our service, and work closely with our ambassadors to instill a professional, luxury demeanor at all times. I can assure you that this is atypical of our standard, and hope to welcome you back again to enjoy a true Sofitel experience.

Truly,
Anna Chaley Croll
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

The hotel was nice: well-located, clean and stylish enough. But what really set it apart was the amazingly kind customer service. I arrived at around 9pm on a Thursday night and was informed upon check-in that I had been upgraded to a larger, executive room. I am not a member of Sofitel's frequent visitor program -- they just upgraded me to be nice. Unfortunately, the room was on the 3rd floor, and while it was very nice, it was a bit noisy for me (I am a light sleeper). Awkwardly, I asked if they could move me to a higher floor. They moved me to the penultimate floor, and I am pretty sure this was yet another upgrade as the room was even bigger than the first one. Whenever I walked past the reception, I was always greated by name. It was as if I was their only guest, which clearly was not actually the case. I tell you, courtesy, a smile and good customer service can make all the difference between a nice hotel and one I will certainly go back to the next time I am in DC.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dunedin, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Labor day visit. Very comfortable bed in modest sized room. Bathroom was big with separate tub and shower as i like. Hotel is 1 block from white house and metro. Hotel food was excellent, albeit costly. Staff was friendly for the most part. Had an AC problem fixed within 30 minutes. Near the mall for good access to museums.

Room Tip: We had 6th floor corner which was quiet with decent but not great view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chalfont Saint Peter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We spent four nights here on our return to Washington, having stayed at the Ritz-Carlton the previous week, and we much preferred the Sofitel.

The location could not be better: a short walk to the White House and Lafayette Square.

The welcome at reception was warm and friendly, and the service (room, restaurants and reception) was excellent throughout our stay. The room was tastefully furnished with a distinct touch of Gallic flair, and the bed was extremely comfortable.

Our package included breakfast in the room and it was delivered promptly at the requested time, with everything as it should be - hot things hot, cold things cold. We ate at the bar on several evenings and found the surroundings pleasant, the food excellent and the service very attentive.

The Sofitel has much to recommend it and no drawbacks that we saw.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights. Easy walk to the mall and metro station. Staff very friendly. Room was nice with lots of space. Restaurant down stairs is good.

• Stayed November 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This was our second visit in the past year to the Sofitel DC, and, hopefully, we will have the opportunity to experience Sofitel hospitality at this location again.
The staff here is extremely accommodating ("of course" is invariably the reply one gets when making a request), and personable. The rooms are well appointed and QUIET for a center city location. The beds are very, very comfortable.
The location can't be beat, IMHO. It is just a very short walk to the White House, less than a block to Lafayette Park. The Mall is further, but certainly within walking distance. If one doesn't want to walk to DC's attractions, a Metro stop is very close by, and one can easily navigate almost anywhere in DC using the subway.
This is an excellent choice for lodging when visiting Washington!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Washington DC? Share your experiences!