“Served the purpose, loved the area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Baron Hotel

You added The Baron Hotel to your Saves list
The Baron Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1523 22nd street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #112 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Served the purpose, loved the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was actually our second stay in this place. We liked it the first time so we came back. The rooms are quite small but clean and the area is quiet and close to everything. There's a cool bar downstairs. So if u're really looking just to put your head down somewhere after the whole day of sightseeing this is a good choice!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
SportsFan2007
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

As other reviewers have said this hotel is definitely not high end, however it is in a great location, its clean, in safe area, and a lot cheaper then any other decent hotels nearby. The room was very basic, but of average size and was clean. Initially I was worried about the wifi in the room as others here had complained but I had zero problems and it worked great the full time i was there which was a relief. Basically if you need a place to sleep and want to save some money this place should do, but if you want a upscale hotel or are trying to impress a girlfriend (or anyone for that matter) I would look somewhere else.

Two other minor things of note:
- the bar/restaurant in the basement of the hotel is great. Amazing selection of beers and a great happy hour special for $10 of a beer and damn good burger!
-The elevator as others have mentioned is VERY old, but it works and I only used it when I was carrying my bags up at check in. Otherwise I just took the stairs as its not a huge hotel so most guest probably are only up one or two flights of stairs.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Me and my girlfriend visited this hotel in October for a 4 night stay. After reading some reviews on here, I was a a little worried. But after staying here for 4 nights, I haven't got a bad thing to say about the hotel.
We stayed in the 4th floor, so we didn't hear any of the noise or music that supposedly comes from the Tavern at night time.
The room was spotless, and we found no evidence of dirty tiles, or missing door/drawer handles. The room is slightly small, BUT if you're staying in Washington whilst sight-seeing, this isn't an issue.
The TV is a good size if you like to wind down before bed time, with plenty of channels to choose from. Bed was very comfy, and our room had a wardrobe, and bed side tables.
Hotel staff were all friendly and very accommodating. If you need to print off boarding passes, or anything for that matter, you can forward the e-mail to the front desk, who will print it off for you, free of charge.
YES the elevator is old, but in my opinion, this added to the charm of the hotel.
The hotel is in a great hotel, that's why we chose the Baron. Very close to Dupont Circle, which is surrounded by many shops, restaurants and bars (and a CVS). The metro was also very close, which was very convenient.
All in all, we had a great stay in the Baron Hotel, and I can't knock it for anything.
If you want a clean, cheap hotel in a great location, then you should stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

very basic and old building, , good points were; 100$ less than other hotels in neighborhood, great location, near trendy restaurants and nice bars (Scion, Urbana, Pesce, Morroccan, le petit quotidean)) near dupont circle metro stop, beautiful neighborhood, also convenient to the old gay district , not far to Georgetown, and two stops to White House. Hotel internet in room, room big for DC standards. Bad news, everything is old and and beat up, no closet (armoire) , tile old and looks dirty, chest of drawers missing half the handles . windows look onto brick walls, terrible heavy metal band playing downstairs bar that is audible on first 3 floors, early morning wake up by garbage trucks, so in summary , if you are going to be doing things the whole time and need a place to shower, sleep, check email, centrally located ok, if you want to spend time in the room, need a concierge or gym , or pool, are a late sleeper, or are turned off by first impressions look further,(like the big loud angry man who had checked in right before me, he stormed back down demanding the reservation be cancelled with no charge, he was furious , a little overly dramatic so I think he was just overdoing to insure he wasnt charged a nights stay for canceling ) my feeling was this was like a lot of old hotels in europe, lots of europeans staying here. . people didnt mind having to pull a gate closed to start the elevator

Room Tip: 4th floor room is quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The Baron Hotel although charming in an old worldly sort of way and really convenient to a great district, was ruined by its useless wifi connection or lack of it. My husband had deadlines to meet and study to do and I had commitments to work on online with too, so decent internet access was essential. We ended up sitting on the stairs to get a patchy connection. Very frustrating.
The room was bright and airy but unfortunately really noisy even though we were on the 4th floor, the road works at night didn't help but to be fair that was out of the hotel's control. I can sleep through anything but my husband found it hard and he had all day meetings each day. The lack of laundry facilities was a pain too, especially since we had been travelling some weeks.
However, if it's just a place to sleep that you require and you sleep easily and well, you'll be fine. The price is reasonable and the you can't beat the location.
We found the staff friendly and helpful and the lift worked for us although a little treacherous.
Treat people nicely and you get nice service.

• Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I found the elevator so treacherous when it did work -half the time - that I usually climbed the many stairs to my room which was reasonable and clean and the size one expects in an urban B+B. The housekeeping staff were mighty nice, and so were the front desk people which was a real change from my stay two years ago. It is also reasonably good value for money. Breakfast is extra although coffee and tea are complimentary aorund the clock.

I was so concerned about the safety of the elevator that I did report it to the DC Municipality and told them to get their inspectors out there pronto.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We arrived at this hotel after booking it in feb and after travelling for 12 hours, to be greeted by a sullen man in a noisy reception next to a bar. He took a long time on the computer then said they had no rooms but he would get us a taxi to a sister hotel. We arrived at this hotel to be told they only had one room for the four of us ( 2 mature couples ) but could give us a family room to share !! We declined and he sent us to another hotel up the road that had two small rooms but we were so tired we decided to stay and speak to the management to complain in the morning. But nobody ever knew where he was and he never did contact us.It spoilt our stay in this lovely city and we would say never stay at the Baron hotel, we were glad we didn't as it looked very grubby.

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Baron Hotel? Share your experiences!