“Competitive Accommodation in Dupont area of Washington DC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Baron Hotel

You added The Baron Hotel to your Saves list
The Baron Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1523 22nd street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #114 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington D.c.
“Competitive Accommodation in Dupont area of Washington DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Hotel Baron is a very competitive hotel. The décor is dated is common areas and some rooms but the rooms themselves are adequate and very clean.

Value for money is good for the location.

I have stayed here a number of times and would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Meudon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The only good point of this hotel was its location, which was quite close from the metro station and in the center of Washington DC.

The bad points: our initial room was very noisy (because of a big column of air just outside the window). We asked to change and got a room on the first floor just above the road. The temperature of the room was very cold and the noise from the road was very loudly. We realized on the second day of our stay that one of the window was broken on the top and therefore could not be closed. We mentioned this problem to the frontdesk and nothing was done for our third and last night. When we checked out, we asked for some reimbursement in compensation of such an inconvenience (we simply could not sleep properly during the 3 nights of our stay) but we did not get anything as the manager mentioned that the window was closed by the staff when we mentioned the problem, which was not true. Therefore, if you want to sleep, just don't go in this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Nothing fancy, but clean and functional, staff was friendly, bar/restaurant downstairs was great. if you do not go expecting a five star hotel and you are on a business trip which entails you spending most of your time not at the hotel you will have a fully reasonable experience there.

Room Tip: My room on the third floor was very pleasant
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Geneva
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Baron for a business trip. I had a room on the third floor. I found the room adequate and clean, the internet connection was very good. The windows are old and they do not close completely. The bathroom was good, small and clean. The bed was fine, not super comfortable but fine. I asked for a quiet room at the time of booking and they gave me a room facing the back of some appartments, but still noisy (sirens, cars, etc) but not too bad. Overall I was able to sleep well (I am not difficult to sleep). The location is great, close to many restaurants, there is a pharmacy and supermarket nearby.
The reception was fine, I arrived and they checked my online reservation and the lady at the reception was nice and helpful. However the elevator was broken and I had to take the stairs with my luggage.
In the morning I went to the dining/breakfast room and I was not convinced, the room was too dark, the items did not look appealing and nobody was there to serve or at least to tell us how it works, so I decided to leave and have breakfast somewhere else (close to the hotel there was a bagel shop that prepare breakfast for less than 5 USD dollars).
Overall it was a good stay, I woudl recommend this hotel if you:
1. Come to Washington for business (so you are not in the room most of the day)
2. Can sleep with noise
One big dissapointment: When checking out the receptionist asked me to pay 10 USD for two days of breakfast, which I did not take. At the end I did not pay, but the situation was a bit unpleasant. Also be prepared to pay the whole stay right in front when you check-in.

Room Tip: rooms on the back of the building, upper floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
San Rafael, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I feel I'm being generous in giving Hotel Baron 1/2 Star, but staying there was better than sleeping on the street - that's the only positive thing I can say about this over rated hotel.

Although my check-in was glitch-free, most of the other guests attempting to have their reservations honored didn't share my experience. The person staffing the desk appeared to have no customer service, computer or problem solving skills. Everyone was on their own to resolve the issues most hotels easily and typically handle.

My room was on the 2nd floor so I pushed the elevator button for an easy way to transport the 4 bags I was carrying. The elevator was located approximately 4 feet from the check in desk but it was another guest who informed me it didn't work - no sign, no alert from the employee at the close by desk. The handrail was loose on the staircase which made the trip up one flight of stairs a precarious adventure.

If my room was typical of the others, they are basic to minimal. The towel rack in the bathroom was laying on the floor, unassembled, and the "featured" jetted tub didn't work. Sometime in the middle of the night furniture in the room above me was rearranged taking 45 minutes to conclude.

The $5.00 continental breakfast would have been adequate if there was an attendant filling in juice, milk, coffee and pastry as guest finished their meal. Unfortunately, we were all on our own to fend for ourselves and search for boxes of bagels & sweets and carafes of coffee. Some guests gave up in favor of a full breakfast elsewhere.

My "glitch" came at checkout when I was told there was no record of my pre-payment on their computer. Even though I produced paperwork to prove otherwise, they assigned me the task of resolving the payment issue between them and Hotels.com. When I reached Hotels.com customer service they refused to talk with them directly because they were busy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Two of us stayed here for 2 night in July 2012. It is about a 10min walk from DuPont Circle metro station so it's easy to access the rest of Washington. It's also a short walk to Rock Creek Park which was nice to escape the heat of summer. The hotel has no lift so it's a bit tricky to lift heavy luggage up the stairs. The room was small but was clean and comfortable with good aircon. The bathroom was modern and clean, in fact it looked very recently refurbished. We didn't eat here or go to the bar downstairs. Overall, good value, good location, and clean - would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I want to warn everyone of this hotel.

Not only was it not very clean and the staff extremely unfriendly, my particular concern is that the hotel charged my credit card - without my signature - for two nights instead of the one night I spent at the hotel!

I was willing to believe in a mistake, however, the hotel did not react to any of my emails. When the booking website intervened on my behalf the hotel presented an invoice which I never received and did not sign. Even the proof that I left the city after 1 night (and could not have spent a second night at the hotel) did - until today - not get me my money back. It's been three months.

I am extremely angry and dissappointed and have no good memories of my stay at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo