“Good for the price you pay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Baron Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Baron Hotel to your Saves list
The Baron Hotel
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   1523 22nd street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #34 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Geneva
“Good for the price you pay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Baron for a business trip. I had a room on the third floor. I found the room adequate and clean, the internet connection was very good. The windows are old and they do not close completely. The bathroom was good, small and clean. The bed was fine, not super comfortable but fine. I asked for a quiet room at the time of booking and they gave me a room facing the back of some appartments, but still noisy (sirens, cars, etc) but not too bad. Overall I was able to sleep well (I am not difficult to sleep). The location is great, close to many restaurants, there is a pharmacy and supermarket nearby.
The reception was fine, I arrived and they checked my online reservation and the lady at the reception was nice and helpful. However the elevator was broken and I had to take the stairs with my luggage.
In the morning I went to the dining/breakfast room and I was not convinced, the room was too dark, the items did not look appealing and nobody was there to serve or at least to tell us how it works, so I decided to leave and have breakfast somewhere else (close to the hotel there was a bagel shop that prepare breakfast for less than 5 USD dollars).
Overall it was a good stay, I woudl recommend this hotel if you:
1. Come to Washington for business (so you are not in the room most of the day)
2. Can sleep with noise
One big dissapointment: When checking out the receptionist asked me to pay 10 USD for two days of breakfast, which I did not take. At the end I did not pay, but the situation was a bit unpleasant. Also be prepared to pay the whole stay right in front when you check-in.

Room Tip: rooms on the back of the building, upper floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Rafael, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I feel I'm being generous in giving Hotel Baron 1/2 Star, but staying there was better than sleeping on the street - that's the only positive thing I can say about this over rated hotel.

Although my check-in was glitch-free, most of the other guests attempting to have their reservations honored didn't share my experience. The person staffing the desk appeared to have no customer service, computer or problem solving skills. Everyone was on their own to resolve the issues most hotels easily and typically handle.

My room was on the 2nd floor so I pushed the elevator button for an easy way to transport the 4 bags I was carrying. The elevator was located approximately 4 feet from the check in desk but it was another guest who informed me it didn't work - no sign, no alert from the employee at the close by desk. The handrail was loose on the staircase which made the trip up one flight of stairs a precarious adventure.

If my room was typical of the others, they are basic to minimal. The towel rack in the bathroom was laying on the floor, unassembled, and the "featured" jetted tub didn't work. Sometime in the middle of the night furniture in the room above me was rearranged taking 45 minutes to conclude.

The $5.00 continental breakfast would have been adequate if there was an attendant filling in juice, milk, coffee and pastry as guest finished their meal. Unfortunately, we were all on our own to fend for ourselves and search for boxes of bagels & sweets and carafes of coffee. Some guests gave up in favor of a full breakfast elsewhere.

My "glitch" came at checkout when I was told there was no record of my pre-payment on their computer. Even though I produced paperwork to prove otherwise, they assigned me the task of resolving the payment issue between them and Hotels.com. When I reached Hotels.com customer service they refused to talk with them directly because they were busy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Two of us stayed here for 2 night in July 2012. It is about a 10min walk from DuPont Circle metro station so it's easy to access the rest of Washington. It's also a short walk to Rock Creek Park which was nice to escape the heat of summer. The hotel has no lift so it's a bit tricky to lift heavy luggage up the stairs. The room was small but was clean and comfortable with good aircon. The bathroom was modern and clean, in fact it looked very recently refurbished. We didn't eat here or go to the bar downstairs. Overall, good value, good location, and clean - would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I want to warn everyone of this hotel.

Not only was it not very clean and the staff extremely unfriendly, my particular concern is that the hotel charged my credit card - without my signature - for two nights instead of the one night I spent at the hotel!

I was willing to believe in a mistake, however, the hotel did not react to any of my emails. When the booking website intervened on my behalf the hotel presented an invoice which I never received and did not sign. Even the proof that I left the city after 1 night (and could not have spent a second night at the hotel) did - until today - not get me my money back. It's been three months.

I am extremely angry and dissappointed and have no good memories of my stay at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
dallas/fort worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This place is located in a charming area. We found an amazing coffee shop and a bagel place on the corner. The beds are good. But, noisy! Our room faced the street (beautiful view) so sirens and traffic noise made sleeping difficult. If you like kinda quirky old places go for it, just try to get away from the street side

• Stayed October 2012
Moscow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Baron Hotel is located in a very nice neighbourhood surrounded by wonderful mansions, very close to Dupont Circle and easy access to many attractions. But the customer service in the hotel is awful. In our preliminary requests we asked to give us a quiet room in a quiet place. And wrote a special request directly to the hotel. We were given the room on the first floor just opposite the entrance to the bar and with the restaurant right under the room. With the noise and music coming form the open door of the bar and the noise coming from the restaurant we couldn't hear the news on TV and even each other. It lasted until 1am in the morning. The next night we were refused to be moved to another room. On the third night we were moved to the room on the 2nd floor just above the bar and terrible noise from AC coming through the window. The receptionists were talking all days round on the phone paying little or no attention to the clients. Finally they charged us twice for one and the same breakfast first taking cash and then charging the credit card upon our departure.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. Probably it's much quiter on the other side( not...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Wollongong, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have stayed here twice, the first time we were quite happy with our stay. However, on the second stay we had multiple terrible experiences.
Our friends from Japan were visiting so we booked two rooms, the rooms we were given were nothing like our first stay. They were run down and looked terrible. There was a mouse trap on the floor. YES a mouse trap! When I called the front desk, he explained it was a "Safety precaution" I explained to him it could not be there for a safety precaution as some one could step on it. I then asked to speak to the manager and the front clerk informed me he does not know when he will be in and he will not be there the following day to speak to me..
Secondly, expedia shows that breakfast is included this is not the case, they charge 5pp extra a day for breakfast. I informed the front desk staff of this error but they did not seem to care.
Would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. Grab your money and go else where

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and go else where.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Baron Hotel? Share your experiences!