“I LOVED this hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Baron Hotel

You added The Baron Hotel to your Saves list
The Baron Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1523 22nd street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #115 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Los Angeles, California
“I LOVED this hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Although I'm more of a 4-5 star hotel snatched on Hotwire kind of person, I was recently in DC and needed a place at the last minute. I picked The Baron because it was reasonably priced and sounded kind of interesting with the tavern down stairs (and interesting even though I'm not a beer drinker). The staff was WONDERFUL and helped me pick a room that faced the street with a lovely view. The room was neat and super clean with many new items and it was really just a lovely place to be. Staff was knowledgeable regarding local food, transportation, plotting metro, etc. etc.
Fair thee well Embassy Row hotels - I am never staying anywhere else in DC. Loved.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

My room was about 8' x 10'. Basically, all that fit in the room was a double bed. I didn't book this hotel, but was bumped to it from one of their partner hotels. That's not what you want when you arrive at 10:30 PM.

The doors on the rooms don't lock automatically. So be sure you lock it when you're in your room, or when you go out.

The location was nice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Pretoria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, but I wish I had paid the extra 50 USD a day and stayed in the other hotels around it. The reception staff are really helpful, but the management is very irresponsible, rude and couldn't care less if your room does not have running hot water, or the cord of the phone had been cut off. I tried speaking to the manager, his response was "too bad". Also, it seems that if you book the hotel through Embassy Suits, you might get a cheaper rate than directly. I paid about 200 USD per night, a gentleman before me, got a similar room for 150 a night because of booking through the Embassy Suits. If you have to stay here, ask for a room on the 3 or 4th floor, that way you are far from the noise of the bar.The breakfast is poor, served in the same bar where a few hours before that people were still having excessive beer, without having properly cleaned the place.
Bottom line, pay a bit more and know what you are paying for!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here while attending a conference at the convention center 1.5 miles away. The price per night was about $100 less than I could get elsewhere.
Pros: Good value for DC; Rooms were clean; AC/heat worked well; Great little tavern/restaurant downstairs especially if you like rare beer (>500 beers on the menu); great neighborhood;
Cons: Elevator did not work; security for room keys seems a little low

The walk to the convention center was OK and taxi was about $7. There is also a $1 bus (yellow circulator) that you can pick up about 6 blocks away that will take you to the convention center.

Room Tip: If the elevator is not working get a lower floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

I ended up getting separated from the group I was staying with and needed cheap accomodations for the night. I got a room on the third floor from a very curt man and discovered that my key didn't work. He had given me the wrong one. I afterwards discovered that the phone in the room wasn't working. I just needed to call my parents and let them know I was off the street.

When I asked about the phone, the man said that I could walk in the violent DC night around a few blocks to the payphone. When I asked to place a 2 minute collect call home from his phone just to let my parents know I was alright, he yelled, "I knew when you walked in you that you'd..."

He didn't finish the sentence, but I knew it wasn't nice. I went to my room and cried. He had used the elevator (only he could use it, too, btw, the rest of the guests were forced to use stairs everytime that had to report a wrong key or broken phone), to come upstairs and tell me that my mom had called to make sure I made it in and to come down to get the call. He asked me why I was crying and I said it was because he'd yelled at me. He got angry and said that he did not yell. When I said to him, "You yelled that when I walked through the door, you knew I'd be trouble." His defense was that he didn't finish the sentence. He then whined that. "Your mother is going to be so mad at me." He transferred me to another room where the phone worked so my mother and I could talk. I spent the night with very bold, very large roaches trying to make friends on my pillow.

I could not warn anyone enough to avoid this place. I thought maybe this man was the owner, given the liberty he felt he had to abuse customers (think Fawlty Towers. :), but he was merely a worker.

Unless you want to spend a night abused in filth and pay upwards of 100 bucks for it, I would avoid this hellhole.

Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

I did the same as other travelers. Booked the hotel thinking it would be a nice, quaint stay like other B&B's I have been to in the past. Not so. The staff was very pleasant, but I did not even stay the night. The place was run down, grimy, and did not feel very clean. I would not recommend unless you are desperate.

Stayed November 2007
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

For years I've sampled the wide beer selection downstairs at the Brickskeller and vowed that the next time I was in DC, I would stay upstairs--just to see what it was like. I was in town for a conference and rooms were going for over $300 a night. Even the Westin Embassy Row, which is right around the corner from the Brickskeller, was $215, though they were completely sold out.

I paid $75 a night.

Keep in mind, folks, a discount that substantial is like paying $12 at a Motel 6 so what do you think you're going to get? It's a third of the cheapest bed in Dupont Circle, though during the off season, it's probably more like half. Throw in a sleeping buddy and your cost goes up to $94, but you're still splitting a nightly rate for under a C-note. They do have rooms with private bathrooms but I didn't bother even asking about those.

Actually, at $75, I had an "upgraded" room. Though I had to share a bathroom, I got my own sink with hot and cold running water, and a TV. It was dumpy, but I wouldn't describe it as dirty per se. The mattress was thin and the furniture has seen better days, but no bed bugs, roaches, or other vermin were visible.
As far as the shared bathroom goes, it was in need of repair but someone was cleaning it. The shower worked, the water was very hot, and the floor seemed clean.

My room was over the bar entrance but with the AC blasting, I couldn't really hear anything. The hotel is on a busy street so unless you're used to big city living, you'll probably find it noisy with traffic and the like. There didn't seem to be many other lodgers, though I did see some other guys who were speaking Dutch to each other. For those of you who have stayed in youth hostels or other European facilities, you'll most likely have a greater tolerance than those who have only stayed at Hiltons, Ramadas, and the like.

I would never stay here with my family but as a single, male traveler, I would actually consider it again, especially if I couldn't find another room for under $300.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The lack of any amenites
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Baron Hotel? Share your experiences!