“Just Ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Sweet Lobby

The Sweet Lobby
404 8th Street SE, Washington DC, DC 20003 (Capitol Hill)
(202)544-2404
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife has an obsession with French macarons so while she and I were on vacation in DC with some friends we had to find someplace that sold them. The Sweet Lobby was featured on the Food Network and supposedly had some pretty good macarons.

The Sweet Lobby was very small and had no place to sit down inside or out if you wanted to eat a treat while there. They did have a wide range of macarons and cupcakes but not all flavors are available everyday. They had you a menu upon entering so you can choose which you want.

My wife and I chose the six that we wanted and left to eat them elsewhere. Maybe we have been spoiled by other macarons, but these were just OK and small despite the high price. We did not have any cupcakes so they might be good.

I would look elsewhere for macarons especially if you have ever had any in New York City.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“cupcake love”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Sweet Lobby....has the most amazing, unique perfectly balanced cupcakes ever! There is reason that they won Food Networks "CUPWARS" Go find out for yourself. Your tastebuds won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ca
“Better than average cupcake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stopped here after previously passing it on a Sunday afternoon and they were closed. The shop is small but the woman behind the counter was very friendly. I got 6 cupcakes to split with friends and we samples a small bit of each cupcake. I will have to say that the Madagascar mactop and the Cherry Blossom were my favorite. The coffee frosting on the Madagascar as well as the macaron was amazing. The frosting on the Cherry Blossom was alright, the cupcake was really good. We also tried the; Lemon Mactop,-the macaron was good, the cupcake good as well, just not my favorite, the Boston cream was pretty basic, the caramel apple was good and the sweet potato cupcake- I liked the cupcake, but am not a fan of marshmallow on my cupcake, so I just scooped it off. We also sampled some of the macarons- the cappuccino was my favorite (after the coffee plantain one on the cupcake), followed by the Hazelnut praline salted caramel. The spicy mango one I did not like and the green tea one was tasty, but not one of my favorites. I was disappointed they did not have the pistachio one to try. The cupcakes I liked best were just as good as my favorites at Georgetown cupcakes and there is a much better wait here during the week. I have tried some other places and just was not impressed, either too sweet or tasted ordinary, so was glad to see that a winner really did have good cupcakes as I am not a fan of Sprinkles. Another day I will have to stop to try their eclairs and some other flavors since they do change a few days a week. I'd recommend a stop if you are in the area.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“the best sweets ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

These are literally the best cupcakes I have ever had. I am pretty skeptical of bakery cupcakes as I typically find them dry and the icing awful, but I could eat these all day every day. We tried the lemon, red velvet, sweet potato, and spicy chocolate. The spicy chocolate it spicy. The others were a-maz-ing.

We also had some of the macaroons and they were just as wonderful.

only downside to this place is the price, but the sweets were worth it.

love, love, love this place.

Visited June 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not Sure I'd Try Again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Hate driving to DuPont Circle and wanted something in Eastern Market since we were in the area. My hubby decided to do a cupcake comparison between this place and Hello Cupcake farther down the block.

This place has a long list of cupcakes and they are fancy in presentation. The shop is small and grabbing a cupcake is all you can do. I definitely felt welcome and the packaging is neat. I bought 3 cupcakes (carrot, toffee and red velvet).

The carrot and toffee were for me and I did not like the carrot at all. It had too many ingredients and chunks of fruit. It ate more like a muffin than cake let a lone carrot cake. I did not like the icing at all. The Toffee was great and the icing was whipped cream which I could have definitely done without. Hubby did not like the cream cheese icing and the fact the cupcakes are smaller than Hello Cupcakes.

I'm not up for going back but I can say that I tried the place Food Network crowned as the Cupcake War Winner!

• Visited April 2012