“Comfy bed, lovely bathroom” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1150 22nd Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Hotel Credit & More
Ranked #34 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Comfy bed, lovely bathroom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Washington DC for 4 nights in June 2006. We liked the lobby area, which was upscale and elegant. We didn't find many restaurants near the hotel but there were plenty in Georgetown, which is about 25 minutes walk away. Most of the staff were curteous and we were fairly pleased with the service we received. In the hotel there is a small swimming pool, an OK steam room and sauna, and gym (didn't use but looked nice). The hotel is good for conferences.

Our room was big and simple. The bed was comfy with lots of pillows. The bathroom was our favorite, very clean with separate shower and bath tub. Lots of amenities, including bath robes and very nice slippers. There were 2 minor points that took away points: (1) our room was next to the ice room, and we could hear other guests and staff coming in and out of the ice room, talking and and slamming the door, and (2) the carpet in the room looked like it can use some cleaning. Overall we liked this hotel and had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2006

Stayed at the Ritz Carlton for 4 nights while attending a conference. My room was on the 4th floor and the room was very spacious and well appointed with a huge bathroom and, great bathroom ammenities! The Ritz provided turndown service with chocolates and tons of free bottled water! Service was excellent - the staff was always smiling and always willing to help out and were not pretentious at all! As a single woman traveling - I felt very safe too! The downside? You had to pay to use the gym, for one night the fire drill would not stop (the building is a tad old) and the location was pretty sterile! Tip: Park your car yourself on Sunday's ONLY in the garage and you won't be charged the daily rate!

• Liked — Very comfortable bed - huge bathroom!
  • Disliked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — If you have a car - don't valet park on Sundays in their garage! You will find out why! : )
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2006

We stayed at the Ritz over Labor Day Weekend as we moved our baby into the George Washington University. The service and comfort provided by the Ritz was a perfect. I shipped NINE boxes, suitcases, etc. to the Ritz via FEDEX to coincide w/ our arrival and not only did they receive the packages, but they held them for us in a secure location until we were ready to take them to the dorm. Our package included breakfast and valet parking and we were also surprised to receive two VIP tickets to the Spy Museum. Breakfast was excellent, with fresh squeezed orange juice and made to order eggs, toast, potatoes and breakfast meats. The wait staff couldn't have been more gracious or accommodating. The room was extremely comfortable. We had a big bathroom, wireless internet, and twice daily maid service. The fresh flowers in the lobby and everywhere else were gorgeous. It's location is very convenient to the school. All of the staff were extremely attentive, from the front desk to the valets. It's a very well run property-I can't wait to return for Parent's Weekend in October.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Tips/Secrets — Shop around for the best rate and don't forget to check the Ritz website for packages.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

We were a bit concerned as this hotel had the lowest price ($299) of all the 3 star & above hotels in the Dupont Circle area on two of the major travel deal sites for the time of our visit in June. We were totally pleased and found it to be a delightful experience.

Raleigh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2006

Ok

Bellperson ignored me and when I asked where is the front desk, he pointed with his finger and didn't even helped me with my luggage. The front desk wasn't helpful either. He didn't even show me my room and where to go. I went to a wrong way and he shouts my name and point with his hand where the elevator is. When I went back to the room, the room view was a construction site with a lot noise. I booked an executive room and I've never been treated like this. So I turned back and went to another 5 star hotel. What a bad service and an insult.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

Just completed a weekend stay at this property located at 22nd & M Street in downtown DC. The quality was typical Ritz Carlton, but there is just something missing at this particular Ritz property. It's that extra something that makes you appreciate a Ritz just a little more than the usual upscale hotel - and for some reason, the Washington DC Ritz Carlton left me without that.

The lobby area is quite small and quite formal. The check-in and check-out were prompt and courteous. I was on a decent FHR weekend rate, so my "upgrade" consisted of a room on the lowest floor, looking out over the ivy that covers the AC units in the courtyard and all the noise that goes with that. So....I called down and moved to a room on the 22nd Street side - I strongly recommend a view along 22nd Street over the courtyard, as that can be somewhat confining, or claustrophic, in my opinion.

Slightly larger room than you would expect at a typical hotel. Bathroom was a nice size, but maybe not as large as you would expect in many RC properties. Quality of furnishings was what you would expect, but very traditional, as is typical of Ritz Carlton. Bed was usual, fantastic bed and linens. It would have been a great night's sleep, but someone near my room decided to walk through the hallways talking and yelling and opening their door 15 to 20 times and letting it slam shut at 3:30 am.

Had room service and ate at a late lunch in the bar off of The Grill and lobby.

Room service dinner was good, though service was a little slow.
Room service breakfast was cold and 15 minutes later than my scheduled 8 am request. I didn't complain since it was included in the rate as part of the Platinum Fine Hotels & Resort rate package. I would go downstairs for breakfast instead of Room Service in future.
Lunch in the bar was quite good, though a very limited menu.

Only real problem was with the massage that I booked through the RC Concierge. Be advised....they do not offer spa services at this hotel. They refer you to the Sports Club which is located on the 2nd floor of the Ritz building, but is not affiliated in any way. Their service at the Sports Club is NOT up to Ritz Carlton standards and the Ritz will not be responsible for poor service there - which I found out after the fact. Must admit, that whole episode did influence my somewhat negative take on this property.

I would stay here again for a business stay, but for a future weekend leisure stay, I would try either the RC Georgetown or the Mandarin Oriental . It could have been that it was Memorial Day weekend, but all in all, I was less than impressed with the service and the atmosphere here (and definately at the Sports Club) and just found the place to be lacking a little something that I can't completely define.

NOTE ABOUT MY RATINGS - I'm rating this compared to other luxury hotels (i.e. other Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons, Mandarin Orientals, etc).

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2006

I have stayed at the Ritz many times for business (they have a government rate). This time my husband and I stayed for a weekend break. As always, I loved the super comfortable beds, the classy old world room ambience, the big bathroom, the spoiling from the fron tdesk. WE had room service on two nights-- too rainy to go out. The food is excellent and I like it that they bring a whole table in the european style of service into your room and not just plastic trays. The doorman is great at catching cabs. My only quibble is the view-- there isn't one. Otherwise this is the place to be pampered.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC? Share your experiences!