“Great Anniversary Trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1150 22nd Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Hotel Credit & More
Ranked #38 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Rochester, New York
“Great Anniversary Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I took a trip to Washington, D.C. for our 10th anniversary. We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton at the corner of 22nd NW and M for a four day weekend. It was a beautiful hotel but the staff made it an exceptional stay.

The night we arrived at the Ritz-Carlton our reservation couldn't be found. A gentlemen named Daniel was at the front desk and resolved the issue immediately. He even upgraded our room for free due to the hassle. Later that evening, after a trip to Georgetown, we returned to our hotel room and the keys wouldn't work. I reported the issue at the front desk and they had a technician switch out the lock and provide us with new keys.

We were up early Saturday for breakfast. Breakfast was good but a bit pricey. Thank God we booked the bed and breakfast package which included a $75 credit each day for breakfast. Following breakfast we left for a day of shopping in and around D.C. When we returned from shopping our room key would not work again. We had the room keys replaced four times in twenty four hours. I couldn't take it anymore and asked to have our room changed. This is where it got interesting. A young woman at the front desk switched our room. We get keys for the new room and they don't work. All the while my wife is in the hallway outside our original room, with all our bags from shopping, and waiting patiently for me to return. So I go back downstairs and the report the issue. The hotel manager David Child comes out of his office and is very apologetic. He requests keys be made for our original room and our new room. We go up stairs and the key works for the new room. Great! Forget the old room. I could care less about that door issue any longer. I run to tell my wife we're moving rooms and I grab some of the shopping bags. I get to the new room and I open the door only to hear a voice yelling, "Excuse me!". I'm shocked. Not five minutes ago I was in this room with the hotel manager and no one was in it. I run back down to report what happened to me. By now I feel like I'm the middle of a Woody Allen movie.

So there was mix up when the young lady switched our room. She put us in room 546 but made keys for room 545. David was completely embarrassed. He immediately said tonight is on us and ordered another room switch. The young lady that made the room switch chimed in and was very apologetic. She insisted we also get club level access for the rest of our stay. In passing David asked what brought us to D.C. for the weekend. I told him my wife and I were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. By the time we met the bell hop at our original room, loaded our things on a cart and to headed to our latest room, David was waiting in the room with a bottle of complimentary champagne on ice and two glasses.

Fortunately the rest of our trip was without issue. The staff was exceptional. Some would have counted this weekend a bust but we took in stride. Things happen. Granted we wouldn't wish these issues on anyone celebrating their anniversary but there are greater problems in the world. The staff at the Ritz-Carlton worked diligently to resolve all of our issues and bent over backward to make sure we were comfortable.

I can't remember the name of everyone but if you come across these individuals you are in good hands. Chiaki Adams is the concierge and was awesome. Chiaki had great restaurant recommendations and gave us directions to all the best shopping centers. David Child the hotel manager did everything he could to make our stay at the Ritz stress free and enjoyable. Samson was one of the bellhops and took great care of us. Every time he saw us he always asked if we needed anything and moved our stuff when we were having room issues. Honestly I didn't meet a staff member that wasn't extremely personable.

Room Tip: If you stay at this Ritz you are just up the street from Georgetown. It's literally a 10 minute...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

462 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
philly
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The hotel is outdated and in need of a remodel. The pool had alge, the steam room wasnt hot. they were under staffed and the staff that was there was new and untrained. the food was over priced and marginal. they were not stocked with the basics at the bar. We were ignored when we sat down for breakfast and decided to check out and end the misery. In DC for these prices try the Manderin or Sofitel. bot excellent. This place is a joke.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I was in DC for business this week and had my wife and 3 year old daughter fly in for an extended weekend. There was a weekend rate, so we thought that we would take advantage of it.

From beginning to end, the experience was excellent. The staff, the property - everything was just great. Especially on check in, they were just exceptional.

I am not sure that this property would be a destination, but more of a very comfortable home base for seeing DC attractions.

We are probably a slightly different profile than other customers. We try to consistently eat healthy. And we don't often take advantage of the Ritz added services (though you should be aware that they will reserve against your card $150 a night for incidentals in advance of your actual bill) There is a Whole Foods about 3 blocks away, which made healthy eating easier. Also, Foggy Bottom metro is about 4 short city blocks away, and the Starbucks is about 2 blocks.

On price, make sure that you add in a stiff City tax and know that the Concierge room access can be an extra $120 if that kind of extra appeals to you.

A final comment - this Ritz is especially good at integration of the Marriott rewards and members.

We were just very pleased.

Room Tip: Watch for rate packages and take advantage of them.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Spent one night at this Ritz Carlton, while in DC for business. It is a short walk (.3 mile) from the Foggy Bottom Metro Station. About a 20 - 25 minute Metro ride from the Reagan National Airport.

The hotel is beautiful inside and out. Very historic look and feel. The front desk staff was efficient and attentive. I was greeted promptly, all aspects of the hotel explained and confirmation of my Marriott Rewards room preferences. I was given a choice of numerous papers to have delivered to my room. I was also offered a cold towel and bottled water during the check in process. Nice touch. Once I was fully checked in, the attendant walked me all the way to the elevators. I could not believe it.

My room was on the 10th floor of the hotel. The room was very good size with an oversized bathroom. I had both a walkin shower and a full tub. The room was very quiet with little to no street noise.

I did utilize the in room dining service. When I called to order, my call was answered within 2 rings and I was calling between 6:30 and 7pm. The staff member my order was sure to confirm my order and let me know it would be to the room within 30 minutes. The food arrived timely, was fresh and hot.

Another nice touch was lemonade and pecan cookies in the hall near elevator. They were very good and even had recipe cards available so you could try to make them yourself.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. It is in a great location. Very close to Metro and many of DC's great tourist activities.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with friends for a weekend, from the initial impression at the front drive, to check-in and while there for the weekend to site see we were treated perfectly! Our guestroom was ready extremely early and was beautiful! The bathroom was a great size for getting ready before our dinners and we LOVED THE CLUB LEVEL! The amenities there and team were so perfect - great food. This hotel was definitely within walking distance to the main attractions of D.C. and a very short ride to shopping. It was really quiet also for a city hotel and I slept quite comfortably each night. When we go back we will stay here again and also recommend to our friends!

Room Tip: Go with Club Level if you like a cocktail before heading out and treats throughout the day......
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
High Point, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Ritz-Carlton in Washington DC was absolutely fantastic. It is located close to Georgetown and everything in DC. We were greeted with champagne and warm towels at check-in. Everyone in the lobby and the front desk were so polite and attentive. The hotel interior design, staff and service is 5 star all the way. I loved staying there and will make plans to return very soon just so I can stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenwich, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Just concluded my 4th stay at this property, and it is always a pleasure to stay here. The staff is extremely well trained and courteous - but also like to engage in a personal and fun way. We always book a room on the Concierge level - this lounge being one of the better ones in the Ritz chain. The professionalism and friendliness of the club lounge staff is almost reason alone to stay here, and always brings me back. We booked a 1 bedroom club level suite this time that was a bit disappointing in layout, but well maintained. Room service is top notch, delivered quickly and very good. The Sports Club LA which is accessed through the hotel is an incredible facility, and the location is central to everything. Again - what keeps me coming back is the people. Exiting the lounge one evening they asked where we were headed - we wanted a low key room service movie night. WIthout a further word, and 10 minutes later, a huge bowl of popcorn was delivered to the room. A simple act of kind thought is well remembered.

Room Tip: None of the views are really a treat from the rooms here, I prefer the ones that face the pretty int...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC? Share your experiences!