“Outstanding service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1150 22nd Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Hotel Credit & More
Ranked #40 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Abu Dhabi
“Outstanding service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Washington DC (not the one in Georgetown, but the one close to Pennsylvania Ave) towards the end of February 2012. The hotel has an ordinary exterior, but extremely well-maintained and beautiful interiors, with comfortable furnishings, spacious bathrooms, and a divinely comfortable bed with luxurious bed linens. Possibly THE most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.
We were fortunate enough to have a room on the executive floor, which gave us access to the executive lounge. Having experienced this type of offering before in other 5-star hotels, I was somewhat skeptical about the likely quality of the snacks and light deserts on offer in the evening. I was very pleasantly surprised. And the lounge had an excellent wine selection.
The hotel's employees are extremely well trained - probably the most customer-oriented staff I have ever come across in a large hotel chain. We were very impressed with the quality of the service and the friendliness of the staff, who made us feel so welcome without gushing or otherwise going overboard. A special mention goes to Curtis, who worked the morning shift in the executive lounge. As well as his superb cappuccinos his attention to detail was commendable. Despite the various people coming and going, he knew all our names. And he was extremely helpful in providing us with a map to take a walk around Washington's monuments. He went out of his way at every opportunity to go the extra mile.
The hotel is also extremely well located - being about a 10 minute walk from the White House, and similarly Georgetown.
On a final note, as we checked out, we had complimentary hot apple side - quite delicious, and a great alternative to mulled wine. I would happily return to the Ritz Carlton any time.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Small rooms and inconsistent (though very polite) service in the lobby restaurant, and courtyard views aren't great. Location is adjacent to George Washington University, convenient to Georgetown, and there are a number of good, nice comparable hotels within the general area (Park Hyatt, Fairmont, Four Seasons), and they're all about the same in terms of quality. Pricing for this Ritz is relatively attractive however. This area, which is very nice, is also reasonably convenient to the sights either via subway or by a long, pleasant walk.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I want to start this by saying that the people who work at this hotel are just wonderful; they were courteous, friendly, and very helpful. I wish I could say I just loved it because of them. But, it's pretty ordinary inside. The lobby is attractive, but not particularly functional. The rooms could be found in almost any hotel, and the views: yuk!! I heard the same thumping that other reviewers commented on; couldn't tell if it was weights dropping, or doors slamming, or what, but it was annoying. I was there for a conference, and am so glad I did not pay Ritz-like prices for this experience.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Bronxville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We got off to a very good start at this hotel. Amy at the front desk was welcoming, pleasant, efficient, and best of all, explained the details of our package thoroughly.

So off we went to our room. Our first impression was that we would be happy in our room partly because it did not have the standard hotel room layout. This room was longer at the window wall, instead of the window wall being the short end of the room. The room was still standard Ritz size with the same amount of furniture, just in different places, and with an extra window which is a nice bonus. The blue and gold color scheme was attractive, and the room had a nice luxurious look to it. The bathroom was spacious with separate shower, tub, and water closet. The sand colored marble was particularly beautiful.

Once we settled in we noticed the room had some functional issues. The closet was just about the smallest we have ever encountered at a hotel. We were on a short trip so we did not have much luggage, but if we did, most of it would have been on display in the room, which is something we do not like. There was however, decent drawer space. The door into the water closet was extremely tight when exiting, even for average sized people. We are not sure these problems exist in other rooms since this was our first stay at this hotel. Later we noticed that the two chairs at the desk were very marked up at the legs with what looked like paint. We thought we could solve having to look at these marks by reversing the chairs, but the backsides were just as marked up. Finally, there was no decorative pillow or throw on the bed, which can be seen in some of the pictures on the hotel web site. All kind of minor issues on their own, but when you add them up it changes your impression in a negative way. If we were there for a longer stay I think we would have asked to see another room.

The staff at this hotel was especially friendly and really tried to go the extra mile to make our stay pleasant. At breakfast, I looked over the paper selection and walked away empty handed because the WSJ was not published on that day, President’s Day. A staff member, Edward, noticed and asked what I was looking for and tried to find the weekend WSJ that I had missed out on and was hoping was still available. He could not find a copy for me, but I was very impressed that he tried. A valet staff member went over directions with me in great detail to make sure I understood them.

The easily accessed Sports Club/LA is the hotel gym. It is a very nice mega gym that even includes sports court activities and a light restaurant/snack area. The pool, however, was not super sized and only had four lanes that were occupied during my visit, so I was unable to swim my laps. Since the gym is so large, the hotel feels it can charge fifteen dollars for a visit. For most people this gym would be overkill and the gyms and pools at most Ritz hotels are good enough and free, so I wish the hotel did not have this charge. It could be a deterrent to using the gym or staying here if you really want to workout.

The hotel seems small with an elegant clublike feel. The location is central and easily walkable to many sites including wonderful Georgetown, and just blocks away from the metro. There is not much going on in the immediate neighborhood.

Overall, a stay here is a good choice, but there are many good options in Washington DC.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms get afternoon sun and odd numbered rooms get morning sun.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012 via mobile

All is good but I am coming to a conclusion do not expect much from the staff you come in contact with They will make you look at them at the front desk as they keep on answering phone calls. They will pick up a new call before you get taken care of. It was hot and room ac was not workIng I asked for a fan but it was easy to move me. Which they did but same problem. I talked to the manager she was amazing went above and beyond. Next time just talk to the managers and just don't get annoyed of front desk ignores you and answers questions it's ritz culture.

• Stayed February 2012
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

On a business trip to Washington for a conference and the Ritz-Carlton was flawless. Great check in, great and quiet rooms, great celebrity chef restaurant on the corner and not far from the subway.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room so that you get no road noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Pros - This is your typical Ritz hotel. Attentive/friendly service, understated traditional decor with clean/comfortable rooms. Bathroom here was particularly large. Attached restaurant was a upscale bistro type setup and the food was perfectly fine if a bit over priced for what it was. Plenty of places to eat within 10 blocks. Nearest Metro stop was about 4 blocks away - same for bike rental. The Capital Mall, Georgetown and Downtown were all walk-able from the Ritz. Doorman had a running route and bottles of water ready for us each morning (nice touch).

Cons - Bit bit more pricey than the average DC hotel. We also had a large cockroach in our bathroom one morning (killed it). This has never happened to us ever, at any other hotel, Ritz or otherwise. I find it interesting now given that there are a few mentions of insect related issues in some of the reviews. Building seems rather new...so not sure what is going on there.

Over all, for the right price, I would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for something facing the courtyard to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC? Share your experiences!