“Good Hotel, Odd Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Georgetown University Hotel and Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Georgetown University Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
Georgetown University Hotel and Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3800 Reservoir Rd. NW, Washington DC, DC 20057 (Georgetown)   |
Ranked #103 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Austin, Texas
“Good Hotel, Odd Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My partner had some business at the nearby hospital, and we were put up at this hotel for our short stay. Check-in was a breeze and they had no issues finding the reservation that was made for us. For our two nights, we found the room and bed to be comfortable. The real caveat to this hotel is if you're not here for anything at the university or hospital. It's obvious that this hotel caters to short stays aimed at anyone doing anything on campus. The location makes it easy to reach anything around it campus-wise, but it becomes more of a walk to get to the heart of Georgetown. Even when we used a car service like Uber, it was difficult to explain where we had to get picked up so that we could head out into downtown DC.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Davie, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

As per Zinnia236 had mentioned, this hotel is ONLY for very short stays. The hotel is not easily accessible. We came there on July 5th. I was there because my daughter was getting admitted for the summer internship for high school students. We thought there would be shuttles running to and from the hotel but there was none due to the July 4th. We caught a cab from Roslyn Metro station. When we got there the cab driver was confused because the GPS took us to GU Hospital. So we were confused. No clear signs on where to go to the Hotel. We had to ask someone to find out where the hotel was. But once we got there the customer service was excellent. They took care of us quickly and immediately.. We were there earlier than our ck in time but they gave us the room. The rooms were clean and spacious. But since we were on the 2nd floor, we had NO view except walls from our window. Great A/C. But 1 thing I DID not like was I had to pay $9.95/day for internet. and the 2nd day the internet was NOT working for more than half a day. They had to send a worker to reboot a few times. But I was still charged and had to pay for the internet for the 2nd day. I was NOT happy about that.
Because it was the July 4th weekend, the Faculty club downstairs in the lobby for breakfast and lunch was closed for July 4, 5 & 6. So we had to go across the Hospital grounds to a place called Epicurian to get our meals. This place serves doctors and nurses and so this places was not CHEAP. There were no shuttles to take us to Metro on the days we were there due to the holiday so I had to use Uber. Even the cabs were not there. On July 7th Monday we were able to use the Faculty's club for breakfast buffett but $16.95/per head was a ridiculous price because the breakfast was NOT that happening.. It was mediocre at best. There are other places on Wisconsin Ave for great cheap breakfast. The gym was small and smelled musty but good.
This hotel is for short stays and fast track people.

Room Tip: Go to the 2rd floor rooms facing the football field... Great view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I stayed here for one night recently on business travel. It was a last minute trip, and this was the only hotel under about $400 a night that I could book a room in all of Washington DC. I went in with somewhat low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. Unlike some reviewers, I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. Unfortunately there was a mix-up with my reservation through Bookings.com and so the hotel did not have it on file or any rooms left that I had ordered. As a result, they upgraded me, and the hotel staff made sure I was comfortable and didn't worry when they were checking for other options for me.

The hotel is located on campus, very close to medical buildings. My room overlooked what appeared to be a football field. So I would especially recommend it if you are coming to DC because of something at Georgetown (e.g., a conference, visiting students, going to the medical center, etc.).

I was assigned to the bridal suite, so I can't really comment on the typical rooms. It had a very "bed and breakfast" feel to me, with colonial furniture (not very modern styling). The room had certain amenities such as an iron/ironing board, hair dryer, tv, etc.but there was no room service. The staff did mention that there were eating establishments nearby, but I didn't check them out.

Several other reviewers have mentioned that they had a hard time getting the hotel staff to get a taxi to come there. One recommendation is to try the app Uber (I use the black service option) which allows you to beckon a limo service with drivers who are insured and screened. You can see drivers ratings and decide whether you want them to pick you up or not and all payments are done via credit card through the app so you don't need cash. By doing this, I was able to get a ride within about 2 minutes with no problems. Two other hotel guests also trying to hail a cab at the same time were using this app as well.

Bottom line is I would recommend this hotel, particularly if you have a reason to be at Georgetown University. Not necessarily the most fun place but very conveniently located for certain travelers.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I found the front desk to be very unhelpful on numerous occasions. Getting a taxi from this location is very difficult and the hotel seems to have done little to solve that problem. People have to struggle to grab whatever transportation they can to travel by cab to somewhere in the city. They also seem to be poorly trained in providing accurate information. One person says there is no shuttle to the airport and another says there is. Having said that Zachary was helpful beyond the call of duty in helping me solve an internet problem. The food in the restaurant area for conference participants was exceptional. Staff wanted to be very helpful and pleasing to their customers. During the conference itself, the rooms were way too cold.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Clinton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

The only reason to stay here is if you are not staying long and need to be somewhere on campus early in the morning. The hotel and CC is only accessible via the GU Hospital entrance; we had no idea about this, and it is not visible from the road. The lobby is renovated and attractive. There is a small workout room but we did not use it. The rooms are also renovated (we had 2 adjoining) and nice looking with the exception of the bathrooms. The sink is separate from the toilet and shower room which was NOT renovated. The tiles and tub seemed to have been repaired but still have that motel feel. The bedding was very nice and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I went here during a conference and the room was big and clean. You have to pay for wifi, but there is an office on the first floor where you can print or use their computer to go on the internet. The breakfast was very good, buffet style. It is just inside the university so it's perfect for conferences or conventions.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed here while speaking at an event in the conference center. It was nice, clean, and comfortable. I found the front desk staff to be very helpful, efficient, and with a good sense of humor which is always a plus. The hotel is convenient to the train station, but a long way from BWI.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Georgetown University Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!