“Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Washington DC Downtown

You added Residence Inn Washington DC Downtown to your Saves list
Residence Inn Washington DC Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1199 Vermont Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #68 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

While visiting the DC area, my hubby and I stayed at three different hotels. The Residence Inn was our last stop. We stayed for two nights and it was definatly the best two nights out of the five. It is in great location to the Metro and the sights. Staff was very nice. Compared to the previous two hotels, I thought the beds were very comfortable. The room was very spacious and having the kitchen was nice. It was fully furnished with very decent, clean looking dishes and other kitchen items. The housekeeping staff even runs the dishwasher for you and the staff will do your grocery shopping if you wish. The breakfast was wonderful and kept us going until dinner. There appeared to be a little variety on the two days we were there.
One of my favorite parts was the little welcome home basket that had the usual coffee and tea products but also microwave popcorn and salt and pepper. There was also a full candy dish on the coffee table.
We would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Kissimmee, Fla.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

I attended a meeting in the Foggy Bottom/GWU area of Washington on May 18-20, 2006 and needed a place to stay. Unfortunately, every hotel within walking distance of George Washington University was already booked because of the scheduled student graduation that weekend.

An Internet search led me to the Residence Inn on Vermont Avenue. What a find!

The hotel was only 9/10 of a mile from my meeting location, but it was in the perfect location for everything else. Just a few blocks from the White House, the hotel was very central to the Mall and Capitol as well. As an added bonus, there is a CVS pharmacy located on the first floor of the hotel which carries everything you would need -- including snacks and pre-packaged meals like fresh salads, sandwiches, etc.

I had read earlier reviews on this site about the small rooms at this hotel, but my room on the 8th floor was very spacious. The room was well furnished and clean. The room included a refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, etc. and a small dining room table.

Although the hotel advertised that it had high-speed Internet service available, the hotel is literally bathed in free wi-fi from at least a dozen surrounding routers, so it didn't cost me a penny!

The complimentary breakfast was great each morning. The hotel also provides complimentary dinner Monday-Wednesday and a dessert buffet on Thursday evenings. We weren't there for the free meals, but the dessert buffet was great!

The only issue we had during our stay was a TV remote that didn't work properly. A quick visit from a hotel engineer identified the problem - a wire had come loose on the TV itself. 60 seconds later it was fixed and he was on his way.

I'll definitely stay here in the future!

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2006

I stayed here while attending a major convention. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable after several restaurants within walking distance that were fabulous - a Thai restaurant and a Southern Cooking restaurant. I had no problems being moved when my 1st room smelled like cigar smoke to me - the front desk staff are very friendly and eager to please as are the staff in the breakfast buffet area. Despite the cold, we walked everywhere and didn't find the location too inconvenient. There is street noise but I believe any hotel in DC will have that.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

Stayed there for 3 nights in Feb., 2006. Paid $123 + tax per night. Spacious, immaculate room. Front desk staff friendly and helpful. Only parking available is valet parking for $20/day (+ tips), but that's life in the big city. Excellent breakfast daily, and free newspapers. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2006
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2006

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel in January 2006. Other posters have commented about the rooms, but I just wanted to add that the staff was teriffic! Not just the people at the front desk, but also the housekeepers and the people in the breakfast room. Everyone was very warm, accommodating, and genuinely friendly.
The breakfast buffet included with the room rate was outstanding, hot items like eggs and bacon, and make your own waffles, along with fruits, cereals and pastries.
I thought my 5th floor room was very quiet. I expected to hear morning rush hour noise, but was surprised to awake at 7:30 am and not hear a thing. There is construction of Thomas Circle, so walking through the circle was difficult.
My only complaint is that the area is very dead at night, with no restaurants or clubs in the immediate vicinity. It's quite a long walk up to Dupont Circle ( maybe 8 blocks) where you will find more night time activity.

• Stayed January 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2005

The biggest problem I have with this hotel is that the building has VERY poor soundproofing. Unless you are able to sleep in a near comatose state, I would look for another hotel. During my stay last month, I had a room on the 10th floor. I assumed that being that high up, I would not hear any of the traffic below. Unfortunately, I could not have been more wrong. Not only could I hear vehicles driving by all night long, I could also hear people talking on the sidewalk! Due to its proximity to the White House and other government buildings, the nearby streets have a lot of traffic with full police escorts. Any time some VIP drives by, you will hear multiple police sirens as clearly as you would if you were standing on the street below. In addition to the traffic noise, your sleep will probably be interrupted by the construction going on nearby.

The service and food at this hotel are also not as good as what I've experienced at other Residence Inns.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
riverside, il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2005

In mid-July my husband and I visited Washington DC for the first time. I spent hours online trying to find a nice hotel and a good price having been warned about how expensive it could be and also to avoid bad neighborhoods. The Residence Inn on Vermont Ave was a great choice for us. We had a small suite on the 8th floor with a full kitchen, tv/sofa area, and queen bed. Everything was nice and very clean. The entire hotel staff greeted us with a smile and hello continually throughout our stay, always very helpful. The continental breakfast was incredible - scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, potatoes, fresh waffles, fruits, cereal, bagles, pastries and on and on.... the only thing more incredible was that they actually served a complimentary evening meal as well Mon - Wed. with a dessert night on Thursday eve. We weren't always around in the evening but the soup and sandwich night was appreciated as we were so tired after siteseeing in 95 degree heat all day and didn't want to go back out to a restaurant that evening. The location was good, near M St. and 15th NW at Thomas Circle for those who know the streets there. We were about a 15 minute walk north of the White House. There was not much going on in this part of town after 6 o'clock and the nearest dinner restaurants were at least a 2 block walk (McCormick and Schmidt was great). We felt pretty safe in that area despite the many homeless people in the parks and laying on the sidewalks! (This was a shocking site all around DC not just near this hotel.) There was a CVS drugstore on the ground level and 2 washing machines and 2 dryers on our floor. These came in very handy. There was not alot of children staying there and no pool, mostly adults, vacationers and business people. The street noise was probably about average for a downtown area of a city, though on the 8th floor, we were awakened one night about 1:00 in the morning by a police bullhorn. I did having a little trouble booking this hotel. I tried to reserve our room for 5 nights on Expedia for $132.99 per night. It would not let me book online and said to call the hotel for this special price. When I called they would not honor that price and said $199 was the best they could do. I said no and tried again the next day on a different travel search engine (??? can't remember which) and the reservation went through. I did call the hotel several weeks later just to make sure (it sounded too good to be true) but all was well and we got that great price for the 5 nights. Now, after actually being in DC and seeing the areas and other hotels, (and knowing their ridiculous prices ($250 per nite and up!!!) I think this hotel was probably the best value for the money we have ever gotten in all our travels! If you can get a good price, this is the place to stay!

Been to Residence Inn Washington DC Downtown? Share your experiences!