“Excellent Hotel in a pretty good location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Washington DC Downtown

You added Residence Inn Washington DC Downtown to your Saves list
Residence Inn Washington DC Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1199 Vermont Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #83 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Miami
“Excellent Hotel in a pretty good location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel during new year's weekend, the location is pretty good, the Hotel is very clean, decent rooms, a good internet and a nice breakfast... Valet parking is expensive $23 but is better than parking across the street in the meters (I almost got a ticket)...
One of the most convenient things about this Hotel is having a CVS Pharmacy next to the property.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for three nights and had two rooms. We arrive after 10:00pm and were greeted by a very nice young lady Thanks to previous reviewers, I had already asked to get rooms facing Vermont Street, and they ended up being very bright and sunny. As you can see from the pictures, the rooms are more like a studio apartment, as they have a small kitchen, which was very helpful for us. I was a bit concerned when I read a reviewer commenting about the rooms being dated, but at least our rooms looked recently renovated.The quality of house keeping was very high during our stay.
The breakfast was better than we expected, with lots of variety. The staff managing the breakfast room were very helpful.
The hotel is two blocks from the Metro station, and within walking distance to a lot of attractions.
We saw people walking around even at 11:00pm, so the area looked safe. There is a 24hour CVS pharmacy next door, and sells ready made sandwiches and salads.
Down town D.C. tends to be noisy, so if you are sensitive to noise at night, you may want to consider taking along ear plugs.

Room Tip: The rooms on the Vermont street side are Sunny and bright.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Greenville, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights using Marriott Reward points. So let me start with that, when I use reward points with Hilton or IHG properties I generally get the less desirable rooms. However, every time I stay with Marriott using reward points I think they go out of their way to give me a pretty good room. This Residence Inn certainly did that and gave my wife and I room 421 which had an exceptional view and little patio.

The hotel itself is in a pretty good location, you could walk to the white house or monuments in about 15 minutes if you wanted to. Or you can walk 2-3 mins (2 blocks) and catch the Mcpherson Square Metro station. If you are familiar with DC, it is maybe a 5-7 min walk to the Metro Center Station too. So location was an A+.

The room itself was large and spacious, very clean, and finished very well. Internet speed was good and the breakfast offering was better than most other Residence Inn's I have stayed in.

All in all, if I visit DC again I will absolutely consider this hotel and likely stay here as well.

Oh - a 24 hr CVS is within steps of the front door of the property which is a huge convenience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Glen Allen, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Room was huge and had all the amenities needed for a family or for a business stay. From the full sized refridge to the stove, dishwasher and full kitchen and dining area, it was like a home away from home. Close to the Whitehouse, Washington Monument and all museums. Seems a bit dated but a great stay.

Stayed January 2014
OJT2014, Manager at Residence Inn Washington DC Downtown, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for your comments! I was happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay. I too agree that our location is great. We are conviniently located to close to White House and the Mall.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you visit again soon!

Residence Inn Management Team
Pompano Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Chose this hotel as I need a refrigerator in my for medications and hotel rooms here have small kitchens. Checked in at front desk and asked for change for a $20 so I could tip the bellman. The clerk told me to go to the CVS Drugstore next door as she has no change. Went up to the room and it was dark and dingy. The carpeting was stained and the room overlooked an office building next door. I later learned that it was one of the worst rooms in place, which is not what you give a traveler who will be with you 4 nights and 5 days.

Complained to the front desk manager about the clerk the next day but never received a follow up. I also want to mention the shower. Hotels save money with sink faucets and special toilets. Please let us have a decent shower. These fancy showerheads will not work if the water pressure is deliberately low so as to save water. Coffee maker was one of those toy-like models and more annoying than convenient.

Location bustles during the day and is very convenient to the White House, subway and museums, but is dead after dark which makes it a bit spooky if you're not familiar with DC. On the plus side -- internet was fast, easy and free. As the clerk mentioned, there is a huge CVS next door to the lobby which also has some nice prepared meals at reasonable prices. Will not stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is shaped like a triangle. Ask for rooms facing Vermont Ave. It is light and bright and...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Visited DC with my family for the holidays. The Residence Inn offers huge room with kitchens, free WiFi and very decent breakfasts. WiFI speeds are good and Netflix worked.Rooms are huge and fit the four of us without an issue. Rooms have foldout sofas and we asked and got an extra bed. Parking in DC is tight and the hotel offers valet parking. The location is great, not far from downtown and close to the cool 14th street area. Metro stations are a 5 minute walk. Street noise is a factor but overall is not too bad.My only issue with the hotel is that there are no safes in the rooms. For a hotel meant for extended stays and any hotel in my opinion, that is a must. Leaving your stuff in the reception helps no one.Very good hotel.

Saratoga Springs, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Location was ok. I didnt like the area after dark and you are more than 2 blocks away from the White house and at least an hour walk away from the capital. Room was small but clean. Breakfast was good and the staff we dealt with ok. My complaint is my room was paid for in advance there was a charge made to my card that wasnt corrected until I questioned it 4 days later when I looked at my account ( we had checks out the pryor day) I was told that if my account wasnt credited by the following MOnday to contact them again. What concerns me is the fact I had to bring this to there attention ( I did ask if they balanced there books daily I received no reply) so over a week later my money was back into my account. I understand they have to put a hold but to withdraw it from your account and make you wait until you mention it to them concerns me. So my advise to anyone check your account and make sure before you leave that it is correct. Very dissapointed in the marriott brand and the way this was handled that error should have been caught and corrected before I questioned it.

Room Tip: This location is off the path for eveything stay closer to the capital and use the metro
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family