“Disappointing Room, Mediocre Service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Washington DC Downtown

You added Residence Inn Washington DC Downtown to your Saves list
Residence Inn Washington DC Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1199 Vermont Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #83 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Disappointing Room, Mediocre Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Chose this hotel as I need a refrigerator in my for medications and hotel rooms here have small kitchens. Checked in at front desk and asked for change for a $20 so I could tip the bellman. The clerk told me to go to the CVS Drugstore next door as she has no change. Went up to the room and it was dark and dingy. The carpeting was stained and the room overlooked an office building next door. I later learned that it was one of the worst rooms in place, which is not what you give a traveler who will be with you 4 nights and 5 days.

Complained to the front desk manager about the clerk the next day but never received a follow up. I also want to mention the shower. Hotels save money with sink faucets and special toilets. Please let us have a decent shower. These fancy showerheads will not work if the water pressure is deliberately low so as to save water. Coffee maker was one of those toy-like models and more annoying than convenient.

Location bustles during the day and is very convenient to the White House, subway and museums, but is dead after dark which makes it a bit spooky if you're not familiar with DC. On the plus side -- internet was fast, easy and free. As the clerk mentioned, there is a huge CVS next door to the lobby which also has some nice prepared meals at reasonable prices. Will not stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is shaped like a triangle. Ask for rooms facing Vermont Ave. It is light and bright and...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Visited DC with my family for the holidays. The Residence Inn offers huge room with kitchens, free WiFi and very decent breakfasts. WiFI speeds are good and Netflix worked.Rooms are huge and fit the four of us without an issue. Rooms have foldout sofas and we asked and got an extra bed. Parking in DC is tight and the hotel offers valet parking. The location is great, not far from downtown and close to the cool 14th street area. Metro stations are a 5 minute walk. Street noise is a factor but overall is not too bad.My only issue with the hotel is that there are no safes in the rooms. For a hotel meant for extended stays and any hotel in my opinion, that is a must. Leaving your stuff in the reception helps no one.Very good hotel.

Saratoga Springs, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Location was ok. I didnt like the area after dark and you are more than 2 blocks away from the White house and at least an hour walk away from the capital. Room was small but clean. Breakfast was good and the staff we dealt with ok. My complaint is my room was paid for in advance there was a charge made to my card that wasnt corrected until I questioned it 4 days later when I looked at my account ( we had checks out the pryor day) I was told that if my account wasnt credited by the following MOnday to contact them again. What concerns me is the fact I had to bring this to there attention ( I did ask if they balanced there books daily I received no reply) so over a week later my money was back into my account. I understand they have to put a hold but to withdraw it from your account and make you wait until you mention it to them concerns me. So my advise to anyone check your account and make sure before you leave that it is correct. Very dissapointed in the marriott brand and the way this was handled that error should have been caught and corrected before I questioned it.

Room Tip: This location is off the path for eveything stay closer to the capital and use the metro
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

1st time at this location but it I'd perfect. Location near White house, Smithsonian and National Mall and easy access to Metro which gets me to office and other DC locations. Nice staff and nice that there is a. CVS next door for food and sundries.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Brighton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This hotel fit my needs. The overnight girl was great. All my requests were taken care of right away. Valet parking was convenient. Location was great-seemed like a pleasant neighborhood. Rooms were typical Residence Inn. I would return.

• Stayed November 2013
Tampa Bay, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed last thanksgiving week at this property with our 2 children. The hotel is very well located, on a nice & safe area with a 24/7 pharmacy (CVS) next to it. They offer a complete breakfast every morning and dinner on monday, tuesday & wednesday. All rooms have a kitchen and a WholeFoods is about 5 minutes away.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Snellville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

My family of four wanted to spend 6 days in D.C. and have enough room to be comfortable and be near the main sites in D.C. We picked the perfect place in the Marriott Residence Inn in Downtown D.C. Andre checked us in and made sure that we knew all that was offered at the hotel. He also recommended going to the CVS which was conveniently one door over from the hotel for our basic kitchen needs. We checked in and then stocked up on popcorn, cokes, bottled water, etc. at CVS. The room was more than big enough for our family of four. We had two queen beds which was nice because many city hotels have double beds. This were bigger and roomy enough for the four of us. Then, we had a FULL kitchen which was wonderful for storing our snacks and drinks. We also cooked one night with provisions we got from CVS! The room also had a nice sitting area with a foldout couch if needed. We loved the way the bathroom had a separate area with the sink. One person was able to shower while another brushed teeth or shaved. I cannot say enough about the free, hot daily breakfast and the hot dinner that was served at 6 p.m. three nights (Mon through Wed). The breakfast was above and beyond what we usually experience at hotels and was served every morning at either 6 a.m. (weekdays) or 7 a.m. (weekends and holidays). They even had caramel sauce and whipped cream for the waffles. The helpers refilled my coffee cup for me and were extremely helpful with everything. The dinner on the three specified nights was more than we expected and even had complimentary adult beverages with it one night. We also loved the way the eating area had a soda fountain. Usually, hotels only offer coffee or juice in the food area. This hotel had a full soda area like the kind that are in fast food restaurants. We were able to get Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Orange Crush, Dr. Pepper, etc. with our dinner or at breakfast or even to take with us when we went sight-seeing each day. Lastly, this hotel is in a PERFECT location. It is a short walk to the McPherson Metro Station. We also were able to walk to many places without even taking the Metro. Since we had smaller kids, we decided to use the Metro, but active people without small children should be able to walk to almost everything. We loved the Residence Inn in Downtown D.C. and cannot recommend it enough. Wonderful place with a wonderful staff and a tremendous value for all that you get for the price. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: It can get a bit noisy at night since you are right in the city. We stayed on the 9th floor and enj...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family