“Perfect Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Washington/Dupont Circle

You added Residence Inn Washington/Dupont Circle to your Saves list
Residence Inn Washington/Dupont Circle
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2120 P Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #59 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
ultrarunnermom
“Perfect Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Very nice Residence Inn. Front Desk staff was extremely helpful. Room was huge and very clean and they have done a remodel so everything seems new.
The location was perfect. Metro right around the corner. Starbucks across the street and several restaurants and book stores around the corner.
You can walk to Georgetown for shopping and restaurants. Its about 10 blocks or take a cab.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Room is very clean. Great safety feature to put the room key in elevator to go up. Staff is exceptional. Our suite, however, has a broken cabinet and some lights were burned out in our room. Great location. Walking distance to many shops and restaurants. The suite we booked is very roomy.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Boulder, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed in a two-bedroom suite at this hotel for a week, for a family vacation. We stayed here previously in 2004 and it has been nicely renovated since then. (Someone mentioned the scruffy elevators in another review - they weren't redone but they were clean, they worked fine throughout our visit, and we always felt safe in them.) Excellent hot breakfast with plenty for vegetarians. There were four catering trays of hot items including scrambled eggs every day (never with meat added thankfully!), and usually (veg) potatoes, plus some items that changed each day (sausage, pancakes, sausage gravy, etc). Be careful of the egg & cheese biscuits - sometimes they also contain ham, other times not. They also have a waffle maker, a huge pot of hot oatmeal, juice (orange and apple), and the usual pastry/cereal/breads. (See my photos.) The "networking" dinner (Monday thru Wednesday) was good too, although we visited it twice and the entree was vegetarian (pasta) on only one of those days; on the second day it was chicken. On both nights there were veggies and dip (including hummus), chips, and dessert (a very good tiramisu, and a red velvet cake).

Our toilet broke the first night - wouldn't refill - and after I called the front desk it was fixed within half an hour.

If your internet connection doesn't work (two of our four computers wouldn't show the login page after connecting to the hotel network), call the service number on the instruction card. (The front desk staff are very nice but they can't help.) Customer Support answered right away, the fix was fast, and our internet connection worked flawlessly for the rest of our stay. WiFi speed was impressive! We streamed Netflix and Youtube using wifi, with only three short buffering pauses in >10 hours of viewing. (Bring your own cable - we used HDMI.)

One slightly negative comment about the kitchen - the room has an oven but no cookie sheet or baking pan. Housekeeping told me they aren't offered. (BTW, the CVS down the street has many items - including some groceries and HDMI cables :-) - but they have no baking pans.) Also, the kitchen could use more utensils and dishware - we had to run the dishwasher daily after having one meal and a couple of snacks. I think it had ~service for four. For a two-bedroom suite, I think service for 8 would be better. On the up side, the room included enough dishwasher soap to last the entire week.

There are great (veg and otherwise) dining options in the neighborhood as well; our favorite was Panas Gourmet Empanadas, about a block away on the opposite side of the street.

Staff were friendly and helpful, going beyond the usual politeness. (For example, I forgot my camera battery charger, so I ordered one from Amazon and had it shipped to the hotel, letting the front desk staff know I was expecting it; they figured out it was for me even though I forgot to include my name on the package.)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The Heater system has a motion sensor to save energy, if you don't walk inside the room temperature go down to 73.
If you want to keep it working let's say at 77, you should first press the temperature you like and then HOLD THE ON/OFF bottom and the BLUE ONE both at the same time for 3 seconds.

The rooms ere very spacious they are all studios or one bedroom, very very nice rooms.
If you book on priceline make sure they are not charging you again at the hotel, check your statement! Right away.
In general the hotel is nice, I don't like that you need to insert the key card at the MAIN DOOR AND AT THE ELEVATOR, too much.
You will like it, rooms are big and have all you need like in your home. ;-)

Stayed January 2014
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

The Residence Inn is one of the less-frills (considered "budget") type of hotel concepts offered by the Marriott chain. I ended up there during the week of the World Bank and IMF Annual Meetings, because every hotel in closer downtown Washington, from say M Street all the way down to Constitution Ave (i.e. closer to the White House, government buildings and the site of the Annual Meetings) was fully booked, including my usuals, the Marriott Renaissance on New Hampshire Ave and the Marriott Washington (on 22n street). During the booking, I was offered the Marriott North Bethesda, but having been a resident of the DC/MD area for years a decade ago, I knew better than to stay in Bethesda and having to face the morning commute (although the North Bethesday Marriott has onsite parking). So, Residence Inn Dupont Circle was the next best. I was slated to spend a week -from one Monday to the next- (though I ended up staying 2 more days), and the one in Bethesda was too remote for me to allow me to connect with friends and acquaintances that I aimed to meet during my week in DC.

I already knew that the hotel wouldn't be in the same category of the ones carrying the real "Marriott" brand. So, going in, I expected simply to get a clean room and little to no amenities.

What did I get instead?
1) A super-sized room with bathroom split into bath/shower tub and WC in one closed area, and sink and closet in an adjunct area. Plus I got a full kitchen with regular-size fridge, stove (4 burners) dishwasher, microwave, coffee-maker, etc, the works. Being there for business, (i.e. out from morning to late evenings) I never got to use most of the kitchen appliances during the weekdays, but it was great to have them during the week-end. Also, occasionally, I stored some leftover take-out food and used the microwave oven to reheat them. Also, one or 2 nights, I stopped a at deli on the same street and got some milk and other essentials, and was able to store them in the fridge.
2) Free breakfast: (this I knew it came with all the Residence Inn, or Fairfield Inn brands of the Marriott chain). So, I knew I'd be getting it. The breakfast menu had the usual suspects in hot food: scrambled eggs, sausage (flat or rolls), bacon, sauted potato wedges, pancake batter (with the trimmings, e.g. syrup, whipped cream, jam, etc.), but also bagel, toast, croissants, muffins, as well as yogurt, milk, hot chocolate, and 2 or 3 types of juice (orange, apple, cranberry). There were days when only 2juices were available, with the OJ being a constant.
3) Free but fast WIFI: Again, this is a staple for the "budget" Marriott brands like Courtyard, Residence Inn, or Fairfield Inn. To this day, I still don't understand why the flagship Marriott brands (like Marriott itself, or Renaissance and JW) charge for internet (unless you're a Rewards gold member). Being a gold member, I usually got the wifi free, but just because of that, I'm less keen to stay at Marriott, 'cause I disapprove that they charge for Wifi when the other upscale hotels (Fairmont, Four Seasons, Regis, Hilton, etc.) do not. Anyway, the wifi at the Residence Inn was quite fast and reliable.
4) So many restaurants abound, and they are within a stone's throw of the hotel, so much so that you could consider them part of the hotel. In fact, there's one Mexican restaurant "Crios" which guests can access without exiting the hotel, for there's a communication door from the lobby into the restaurant. Isn't that neat? LOL. Anyway, that door came handy on my first monday, as it was raining (actually it rained quite a lot during the week I was in DC). Another restaurant, "Scion" has wonderful (and reasonably priced) brunches on Saturdays and Sundays, and I made full use of them.
5) And... the CHERRY on the ICING: the regular (FREE) early evenings dinners (sort of "happy hours" offered only during weekdays). I first missed the monday one, 'cause I didn't really know about it, -well, to be honest, I'd been told during check-in, but I didn't really understand what it was about; (so I made no effort on Monday to return to the hotel on time to take advantage of it; they remove everything by 7pm, or maybe 7h30 - I'm not sure, so check with reception). But on Tuesday, I came back early to change for a function and saw there was rice and beans, chicken wings, ribs, coleslaw... (I think the theme that night was something like Nawlins creole/cajun food.). I actually resented that I had to go out. But I grabbed a plate, made myself a full serving, went up and put it in the fridge in my suite. Turns out, that came very handy later on when I came back, as the food at the function I attended was only finger food and didn't compare to that hearty "soul food". The next night, the theme seemed to be mexican/latin food; it was pita breads/wraps and tacos offered with different "fillings" for you to pick and fill your pita: beef, chicken, some veggie stuff and of course tomato, onion, sour cream, hot sauce. I also made myself 2 pitas (chicken and beef) and didn't need to go out for dinner. So, if I were you, I'd check the daily offerings before firming up any dinner plans.
6) Others have already mentioned the proximity to the Dupont Circle metro station (Red line). The Red line is a major line (and in my opinion the most important in the District); it takes you to the National Mall, Mazza Galerie (Friendship Heights mall), White Flint mall, Catholic University, the Wheaton mall (in Silver Spring), downtown Silver Spring itself. and the Dupont Circle station is only 2 stations away from Metro Center, the station where you can change for the Blue line (to landmarks like the Smithsonian collection of museums or the Arlington Cemetery for fallen heroes, the Pentagon City Mall, or Ronald Reagan National Airport -DCA) or for the Orange line that will take you to George Mason Univ., or the Capitol (not in same direction though). It is 3 stations away from Gallery Place where you can change for the Yellow or Green lines that will take you to the National Archives or the Waterfront (only Green line). From Dupont Circle, the Red line takes you straight to Union Station (if you need to catch a train or a bus at the nearby Greyhound/ Peter Pan station. It can't get any better than this. And of course, you can hail a cab from the street in front of the hotel. No need to book one (though there were mornings where I had to wait close to 5 minutes to find one that wasn't already carrying a fare (but that can happen anywhere in DC). The difference with the big Marriotts is that those usually a queue of taxis lining up in front of them (but I've known instances when I was staying at the Washington Marriott (on 22nd) and there was no available taxis standing by, and there also I had to wait until an available cab drove in).
7) Personable service: the staff is friendly, and I never get the sense that they were being eager because they expected a tip. Someone said that there's no bell boy. But when I was leaving, I had 2 full suitcases -not including my carry-on- (yes, I had done quite a bit of shopping during the week-end). I called and they sent someone to help me with my luggage.

I won't count the fitness center as a plus, since most Marriotts have it. This one was small, but for some reason, I hardly every saw anyone using it. I managed to crawl 4 times of a 45 min workout during the 10 days I was there, and only on the Saturday did I see 2 gentlemen coming while I was there.

Having been a long-time Marriott customer, I can tell you that you're getting a good bargain for what you're paying at this hotel, compared to what you would pay at its more upscale sister brands, lile the JW Marriott (on Pennsylvania Ave), or the Mayflower Renaissance (on Connecticut) or the ones I usually book at: the Marriott Washington (on 22nd St) or the Renaissance Dupont Circle (on New Hampshire Ave). The difference between the Residence Inn (at least this one, where I stayed in for a full week) and the other Marriotts that I know well, is stay is that you don't have a huge lobby,and you can't call for room service. However, with the many nearby restaurants, the walk to any of them could be about the same than if you were in a big Marriott and had to walk to their on-site restaurant). Plus, prices at the outside restaurants are more "friendly" to your pockets than what the restaurants within the Marriott hotels usually charge (their mandatory 20% tray charge for room service, -not including tip- is a rip-off, considering their steep prices already make up for whatever you're ordering: $25 for a burger which didn't cos them 5 bucks). So, not having a restaurant is not (in my opinion) a minus for the Residence Inn. Plus, this hotel is more "personable". After 2 days, when I walked in, the clerck would greet me by name and asked me how I was doing. I've stayed at the Marriott Washington (on 22nd) more than 40 nights in any given year, and the staff haven't changed much in the last 3 yrs. Yet, nobody there still to know my name, (unless, I'm calling from the room and the name is displayed on the phone).

So, I'm more likely to come back there. It's a short walk to my company's DC office (2 more blocks than when I'm on 22nd or New Hampshire). But after this winning experience, I'll keep coming back. It's the least I can do. It'll keep my Marriott Rewards going, without having to pay steep prices for onsite food. If you're not a gold member, I'd suggest you give them your patronage also, as you'd be paying for WiFi at the other Marriott brands.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Claremont, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Rooms were redecorated to the new Marriott Rez Inn standard (very nice wrap around sectional in living room, that we used a lot!) and standard kitchen, etc.

Staff was very friendly. No bell person, like most Rez Inn's so had to carry bag.

Evening dinner thingys didn't have any keg beer or cheap wine. Sad to see that not there. :-(

Lots of room for a hotel in DC. Do be mindful though that it is a 3 star property and not 4 star.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
minneapolis MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a long weekend to visit our daughter who was staying here with her college project center. We took the metro in from DCA and got off at the dupont circle stop. It's a few blocks walk, but very doable, and there always seemed to be a lot of people walking around. I felt very safe walking the route. The hotel is very standard - nothing special, but nothing horrible either. Our room faced the back and was fairly quiet. Our daughters room faced the street and she said it was pretty noisy.
Their free breakfast was plentiful but mostly the same each day we were there. They ran out of coffee (!) Sunday morning. They do have an evening dinner menu but not Thursday- Sunday so I don't know what it's like. The exercise room has limited machines (treadmill, ellipticals, bikes) but it also wasn't heavily used either.
The staff was very helpful and friendly and there are numerous restaurants in the area to try.
My next visit will be at someplace closer to the national mall.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family