“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Washington Embassy Row

You added Courtyard Washington Embassy Row to your Saves list
Courtyard Washington Embassy Row
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1600 Rhode Island Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #51 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Moscow
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. Can say nothing too bad about it. Moreover the staff was very friendly and, of course, I enjoyed the location of the hotel - just several blocks away from the White house. But as for everything else it was just one of the ordinary network hotels. I could have rated it "good" if not the dirtiest window, I've ever seen in any hotel, and a puddle of water on the bathroom floor, which kept staying there for all 3 days.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GstServiceManager, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Washington Embassy Row, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding you recent stay in our property. I am glad that you found our staff friendly and our location close to everything you need to see during your stay.
I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated. I hope that you will allow us to serve you again in the future. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hebrew first
Eleanor, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I have to do an overnight in DC every week and the Courtyard Embassy Row has became my go to spot. New rooms that are well decorated, comfortable beds, and tech friendly. The rate is reasonable for DC ( you can get a better rate at the Courtyard on New York Ave but dont go outside at dark if you stay there). The staff is wonderful and the onsite bar and restaraunt, Nage, is worth going to even if you don't stay there.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about our property and I am glad that you had a wonderful stay with us. I will share your wonderful comments to our team and I am looking forward for your next stay in our property. Thank you so much.
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel is in a very cool location and the front desk staff were super friendly. That, however, is where the good things end.

First, I checked into my room, put my things down, pulled out my laptop and tablet and tried to find a CVS in walking distance. I found one and went to leave. But, it was very cold out so I decided to go back up to the room to get my heavy coat. As I am digging through my luggage, SOMEONE LETS THEMSELVES INTO MY ROOM WITH A KEY. The woman looked at me, I looked at her and she said "sorry" and ran off. Apparently the hotel checked someone else into my room and gave them the key to it. As a female traveling alone, this was highly, highly disturbing. Had I not gone back to get my coat, I wouldn't even have been there and that person could have walked off with all of my things.

I called the desk, understandably upset, and the employee apologized multiple times and then said she would call me right back. She did not call back. So, I went to go down to the lobby, left the room and the door closed. 1 second later, I decide to go back and lock a few things in the safe but, I try my key and its been cancelled! Does not work. So, apparently, a stranger can enter my room but I cannot.

Although the employee who made the error was very apologetic and I could tell she felt bad...that is the type of thing that can never, ever happen. She offered me a free breakfast but I never used the coupon.

Second, this hotel seems as if it had a lobby reno fairly recently as everything is modern and lovely. However, the rooms need renovation as well as they do not match the lobby at all. The room safe barely fit my 7" tablet, my laptop didn't come close to fitting and it had a key lock as opposed to the more secure digital safes where you pick your own password. Obviously, after having someone enter my room uninvited, I was disappointed to see that I could not secure my laptop.

Third, there was a CLEARLY USED bar of soap which was put back into the cardboard box and placed with the other toiletries.

Finally, the service at the restaurant was extremely slow. It is one thing for service to be slow because it is so busy and the waitstaff has a lot on their hands. It is quite another thing for it not to be busy and the staff is just meandering about unconcerned.

For nearly 400 per night, MUCH, MUCH more was expected.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GstServiceManager, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Washington Embassy Row, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I’m concerned about the issue you experienced at our property during your recent visit. I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We accommodate many guests each evening and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. Please accept my sincere apology.
Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to express your sentiments. We look forward to serving you in the near future.
Hamilton, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The lesson to take away from my experience is that you should only put a bid into Priceline that you actually want to pay, not what you think will get picked up.

In case you're unaware of how Priceline.com works, allow me to explain. You don't get to choose the exact hotel for your stay. Instead, you pick the region where you want to be and place a bid beneath the average going rates. If a hotel has an empty room, they'll snap up your bid to make some money as opposed to having the room go unused at all. It's a useful tool for last minute vacations because you have to wait until you're close to the arrival date to bid -- the more time between your bid and your arrival, the less likely it is to get picked up.

After looking at the various rates for the DC downtown area five days ahead of time, I put in a bid for $120 per night for Friday and Saturday at a 1 star joint to try and save myself about 50% on the going rates. That's more than I like to pay for a hotel at all, but I figured I wouldn't be able to find anything for less. I should have put in $80, though -- that seems to be what others here are paying at this "3 star hotel" that Priceline upgraded me to. I wish I had been able to find these reviews before I bid, but alas, it's hard to find the hotel you'll be staying at before you place the bid.

Anyway, $80 bucks a night would have been reasonable for this hotel. I feel cheated at $120, and I CANNOT imagine people who pay $250 to stay here. Good thing their jobs foot the bill, I guess. I'm just going to list the details that bothered me.

- Their parking valet service costs $35 a night in addition to your rate, but there's free weekend street parking adjacent to the hotel.

- The bar downstairs (Nage) was only open until 10:30. We missed it both nights after coming back from dinner.

- My brother and I booked a room with two beds, but they gave us a king and said that there was nothing they could do except pull in a roll away cot. We ended up sharing the bed.

- The view was a brick wall. See the attached photo.

- The shower was weak and made struggling noises. There were holes in the ceiling and walls. There was no refrigerator in the room. I found a fruit snack under the armchair. MMMMM!

The place wasn't all bad, though. Like I said, it would have been great for less money. Here's what I liked:

- Excellent location for exploring from a base. It's close to the restaurants and shops and the tourist sites. It felt like a safe neighborhood.

- Nage has a great selection of craft beer (I'm mad that I missed out!) and April behind the breakfast counter was kind and warm.

- The bed was actually very comfortable, despite having to share it, and the comforter was a white blanket that had obviously been cleaned. No dirty blankets! Yay!

- They made a mistake upon checking out and only charged me for one night of valet. Fine by me.

I would stay here again if the rates were more friendly Next time I'll put in the bid I actually want to pay, and not what I think is "fair." That sounds horrible but if I can get the same product for less money, what I paid is actually NOT fair!

Room Tip: The "Priceline rooms" look at a wall. Good luck.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay in our property.. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated. Please be assured that the issues you’ve raised have been addressed, and the appropriate action has been taken.

My apologies once again for the unsatisfactory stay. I hope that you will afford us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Minot, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Spent 5 nights here while sightseeing. It was a bit of a walk to the major sights, but an enjoyable one as DC is such a clean, safe city. The room was definitely spacious, clean and comfortable. We found the hot tub less then desirable - lack of good jets. They had trouble with the wireless for about 24 hours, but eventually corrected it. Front desk staff very accomodating and helpful. In house restaurant is excellent. We felt we recieved a nice stay for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms on Scott Circle side are subject to more noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GstServiceManager, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Washington Embassy Row, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay in our property. Your comments is much appreciated. I hope that you will give us the oppurtunity to serve you again in the future. Thank you much.
Tecumseh, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I'm so happy to be back in Washington and the Courtyard has been a great place from which to enjoy the visit. It's four blocks to the White House and 2-1/2 blocks to the Metro and DuPont Circle, a fun walk past the Mass. Ave. embassies. Rooms are surprisingly large for a city hotel and the beds are firm. We lucked out with a view of Mass. Ave. Our bathroom was small, but our travelling companion's room had quite a large bathroom so it's luck of the draw. The pool was small but blessedly heated and tranquil; the hot tub was cold and slimy the first night but a repair was called in as soon as we reported it and was fixed by the next morning. Reception staff were friendly and accommodating, even though we had booked on Priceline. If I had to find a fault I guess the windows could be cleaner. More importantly, the rooms were clean and I even walked on the carpet in my bare feet without that feeling of a thousand previous guests having stood there. Oh, and free wifi. The world is a happy place.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about our property. I am glad that you found our place convenient and accomodating. I will pass your good comments to our staff. We are certainly looking forward for your next stay. Thank you so much.
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed here for one night this past week. The Courtyard is convenient to many of the K street area offices, etc. The location is good, with lots of restaurants within a few minutes walk. The hotel itself is clean, and the room was large, though forgettable. Service was very good, and very friendly. The price was very high, though, for a hotel in this class. Maybe I picked a bad day for my booking, but the hotel isn't a high end hotel, despite the high end price.

Overall, a decent hotel, with good service, but probably not worth the cost.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GstServiceManager, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Washington Embassy Row, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad that your found our property convenient to everything you need to make your stay more comfortable. I hope that you will give us the oppurtunity to serve you again in the future. Again, thank you much.