“Excellent atmosphere, hospitality and location!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
$3 off room rate
GreenLeadersGold level
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Excellent atmosphere, hospitality and location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

In April 2012 myself and two friends took a trip to DC from New York (which only took 4 hours and it was $7 on the megabus - advice!) and we stayed at this hostel. My expectations were not too high for the place as I had not heard much about it, but it was fantastic! They did a special food night there where the locals made food for you for a small price, it was lovely! The Kitchen area and dining area is very spacious, the bathroom is very clean and there are a lot of facilities. I would definitely recommend this hostel, as it is about a 10 minute walk from the National Mall and it is a lovely walk down past the shops once you're there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Mark-GM, General Manager at Hostelling International - Washington, DC, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Natalie H: Thanks for the lovely note and for the PERFECT SCORE! I am so glad that you had a great visit. Our staff and volunteers do their utmost to create happy experiences and memories. Also, since you had not heard of us, hopefully you can spread the word to your friends so that we can continue to delight visitors to DC. :-) ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from staying at the Hi washington and we loved it.
Having never stayed in a hostel before I was a bit apprehensive about staying here, but I was soon mightily impressed.
What I love is the friendly atmosphere created at the hostel and how much the staff try to get everyone to bond and mix. I loved the bowls and bowls of bananas that are placed everywhere for everyone to eat!! :) how random, but nice!

The only reason why I did not give it 5 stars was that our shower was not very warm and the pressure didnt seem to be high enough. Other than that, I loved staying there!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Mr_LJP: Thanks for the great note! The HI-DC team is truly incredible at what they do, and I am so happy to read that they made the experience one you will fondly recall. I will definitely have the team look into the shower issue. We had some trouble with that a couple of months ago, but I thought we had the issue solved. The Maintenance Team will get right on that. ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've been to a few Hostelling International hostels during a trip to Europe but did not know what to expect from the hostels here in the States. I am happy I decided to stick with HI hostels. The rooms were clean, as were the towels and linens provided. I appreciated the layout of the 10 person rooms, giving a sense of privacy for each bunk. The front desk staff was friendly. There was a free breakfast which I didn't expect. The kitchen was great. It reminded me of the hostels in Europe. My only issue was the the bathrooms were cold and a bit breezy. Other than that, it was all great. If you are looking for a place to lay your head, this is your place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CarloM225: We are so glad you decided to give HI hostels in the US a try! The only thing I can think of regarding the bathrooms is that someone may have opened a window. "Cool and breezy" is not an frequent descriptor of our bathrooms. I will ask the Housekeeping Team to check the windows and ensure they are all closed and to let me know of any unusual temperatures. Thanks for the kind words and the advice! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Palmas, TO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I love this place. It has a good energy. People are friendly. Very good breakfast and Internet. It's comfortable and clean and I just loved John at the cafeteria as well as Michelle at the front desk! Thank you guys for the gr8 job!

• Stayed February 2013
Mark-GM, General Manager at Hostelling International - Washington, DC, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Gutemberg-Fox: Wow! What a super review! Thanks! John (at breakfast) and Michelle (at the Front Desk) are truly rock stars. I will certainly pass along your shout-out. ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was travelling in DC alone for visiting museum and monument. I found it's quite easy to get to this hostel by taking a George town circular bus from union station. The price is very reasonable. Bathroom is clean enough. Only one problem was one of the shower in fifth floor didn't generate hot water. breakfast is ok and u can find many new friends in kitchen.

P.S. my suggestion is U should attend free activities because they're fun and u can meet a lots of friends there!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
beaubowbo: Thank you for your lovely note! All of us are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry about the hot water. In January, we were having some issues, but I believe we have resolved them. Also, thank you for the brilliant bit about our free activities. They are loads of fun, and our volunteers who run them are incredible people. ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Last minute change of plan and booked the hostel in a hurry. Showed up and my name was not on the reservation. Turned out that I booked for the night before, but the receptionist kindly changed the date without any additional charge. If i had booked a hotel - that $ is gone!!!

From Union Station -exit, if you see the Capitol building ahead, turn right to the main st and then once you reach Capitol st, walk up. Take bus D4, on the corner of Capital st NW and H st, in front of Au Bon Pain. Stop right after the Mt Vermont garden (cant remember if it is 3 or 4th stop)
If you use googlemap on how to get there by public transport, it will give information of bus 950. Do NOT even bother to wait, you will NEVER board that bus.

$4 -if you want to store your luggage until you can check in. meanwhile go and explore the city.

With everyone's luggage on the floor, there are enough spaces to walk around without knocking anything out of my way.
Extra blanket is provided incase I feel cold at night during winter.
I had 2 pillows - I dont know if it was a coincidence or not. But my mate, above me, had 2 as well. Did not check the rest.

Breakfast - orange juice, coffee, cereals, bagels, breads, muffins -blueberry, chocolate chip and apple.

Wi-fi is only available in the common area.

Shared bathroom with hairdryer provided - I was so excited. I have not blow dry my hair for 2 weeks.....

There are so much to see in DC, I thought one night was enough but I was so wrong....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Kokubear: Now that IS great service! I could not ask for more from my Front Desk team. They really took great care of you. And yes, the two (2) pillows are standard on all beds. Please come back soon to see more of our great city! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The few outlets on the Second Floor dining room are loose to charge your smartphones, IPads, or laptops. The sleeping rooms are just not one big rectangle with bunks around the four walls. There is enough architectural design for some division for more privacy. Baths were large with counter space and roomy to towel dry from showering. The best is the 7:30 free breakfast with cereal, bready items, juice, fruit, yogurt. It's 4 blocks from Metro Station with a few homeless around all the new construction.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
CafeConCarlos: Everything you wrote is entirely true, even the bit about the loose plugs in the Dining Area (which we are working on). Thanks so much for the great ratings! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Been to Hostelling International - Washington, DC? Share your experiences!