“Nice surprise and family friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue Suites Georgetown

You added Avenue Suites Georgetown to your Saves list
Avenue Suites Georgetown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Formerly Washington Suites Georgetown)   |
Special Offer
Save 10% off Lowest Rate!
Ranked #5 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Nice surprise and family friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We have just returned from an extended weekend stay in the DC area for spring break. We preferred a hotel that was closer to Georgetown and the more interesting areas than downtown. We were very happy with our choice and I will honestly say I was surprised there weren't a few better reviews on this location. My family agreed we would all stay here again. ( 2 adults, 2 kids, 8 & 4)

Positives:
The space is fantastic for any hotel, much less an urban one. Large bedroom with bathroom and closet unit, small fully stocked kitchen (full size fridge/freezer, pots/pans, coffee) and a separate living room area with a table and pull out sofa. Bed was not plush but very comfortable. Good towels, good bath products, and a hair dryer. TV's in both rooms with good channel selection. Trader Joe's across the street (literally) was a massive windfall we learned to love. There was a small park just down a block with open grassy area and benches - perfect for kids to run and play. The walk to Georgetown restaurants and shops was 5-10 minutes and several even closer options. The metro was also a 10 minute walk up and around, although we found Uber cars were always in the area and fast. We found the wifi to be good, although it did have some time-out/logoff so I would have to login the ipads for the kids periodically. The staff was friendly as we needed them and there was a bar/small counter for food service downstairs (limited). We were up high, but found the rooms to be very quiet from both inside and outside building noise.

Cons:
While we thoroughly enjoyed staying here, if you are only seeking 4.5-5 star this might not be the place for you. It is well managed and cared for but it is not brand new/updated. The kitchen was convenient and is in need of updating. ( i.e. the drawers wobbled, stove was older and yes, wear and tear. I found the dishes and refrigerator to be clean but the drawers and floors weren't like home.) The space and the convenience of the unit is so comfortable that it was easy to overlook the outdated bathrooms - specifically the shower/bath. It was spacious and clean. There is a bar with a food service counter downstairs in the lobby that has some ok options, but I would say this aligns more with a younger bar crowd than family friendly or good food. Although we did really enjoy the french toast and egg sandwich. The pull out sofa was very typical of a cheap hotel and you would never put anyone over 8 or 9 in this bed. My kids didn't complain but it really wasn't a good mattress. No access to a pool.

All in all, I would recommend this location and we will return to this spot. If you're seeking a hotel off the typical mainstream path that is Georgetown convenient, this is it. If you want to head out for monuments, museums, etc - check out Uber and taxis, they're cheaper and easier than the Metro.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor and had a fantastic experience. Very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Diego H, General Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Ali M,

Thank you for your recent extended weekend at Avenue Suites and for taking the time to write your review. I appreciate your comments regarding our amenities, location and service. Thank you as well for your feedback regarding the kitchens which we are in the process of freshening.

I do hope that the cons you listed have not marred your overall impression of our hotel and that you may allow us the opportunity to welcome you back. Kindly contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to further discuss the details of your stay.

Warmest regards,
Avenue Suites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We arrived on chilly day in D.C. and were greeted by a very friendly staff. Rooms are spacious - 600+ sq. ft. - and well appointed. Close to Metro stops and walking distance to Georgetown and our destination, Blues Alley. Comfy beds and a quiet room even though on Pennsylvania Ave. Breakfast was quite good but menu was limited. We'll be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Diego H, General Manager at Avenue Suites Georgetown, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear JW J,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to write your review. I am thrilled to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that the size of the suites, amenities and service had so much to do with that. On behalf of my team, we look forward to your return trip from Pennsylvania.

Milwaukee, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights last week. I picked this hotel based on its high ranking on TA and the reasonable price. While our stay was okay, I question why this is among the top 10 hotels on TA.
It is a good choice if you are a family that wants a full kitchen and a separate living and bedroom.
Pros: full kitchen, nice staff, nice soft towels, good bath products, two televisions.
Cons: Ventilation is poor and you will get odors from other rooms. We had someone cooking fish one night...ugg. No fan in the bathroom. Bathroom is very small. Kitchen is in need of updating. Old stove and lots of wear and tear. I am picky about cleanliness and this didn't make the grade. I found myself washing surfaces that were visibly dirty. Unfortunately, the kitchen was the worst, so we didn't use it. I did talk to management about getting the room stocked with paper products and cleaning more in the kitchen. They did respond to my request and the housekeeping manager visited our room to see if everything was okay. It is quite a distance from the downtown sights. We are a family that loves to walk and we found ourselves shelling out $56 a day for metro passes because it was taking too long to get to the sights. We really couldn't go back to the room for a break, because it would take too much time. Also, as noted by other posters, the noise from Pennsylvania Avenue is bothersome. The hotel is located on a busy intersection and drivers love to use their horns. It is also located right next to GWU hospital, so sirens all the time. Also, if you are bringing a car, the valet parking is "as available". They didn't have room for us the first two nights of our stay so we had to find street parking.
All is all, it was just okay. Next time I would pay the extra money for a nicer hotel in a better location.

Dear caseys,

Thank you for your recent 5 night stay and for taking the time to write your review. I am glad to learn how much you enjoyed our amenities, full kitchens and service. I do apologize about the issues you experienced during your stay and glad to learn that the issues you experienced were addressed before your departure. Kindly contact me directly at the hotel so that we can discuss the details of your stay and ensure your satisfaction with the resolution.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

There were a lot of PROS for this hotel: adequately-equipped kitchen, windows that open, Keurig coffeemaker (but wasteful on the nonrecyclable Keurig cups), l'Occitane bathroom products, thick white towels (none of that scratchy, stiff stuff), some really helpful staff, hip-designed interiors with no ugly old bedspreads, a grocery store (Trader Joes) down the street, the subway station (Foggy Bottom) a 5 minute walk away. So we saw a lot of happy families and we WERE a happy family but we were put in a room beside frat boys that had a party that first night we stayed. I called security, who addressed that room, but you can't seriously stop a bunch of students from coming and going, slamming doors and shmoozing loudly as they pass by your room by the end of the hall. So this type of hotel attracts all types. So we asked to move to another room which was granted, and room 913 should be avoided! It is an older (not updated) room, with half the stove burners not working, one bed light lamp burnt out, tiny bugs in the kitchen, and a vent that emitted the worst smells from the bathroom every morning (we suspected we were the victims of poor rerouting of ventilation from another room. There were general CONS about the hotel too: intermittent WIFI and TV signals, a thermostat that couldn't be controlled, inconsistent staff service, and questionable management when we were about to be placed in a room that appeared to have someone already in it, unbeknownst to reception. There were some good people working there but too many incidents about the hotel spoiled the trip and not all kitchen suites are equal. Perhaps that is the trade-off for a well-priced hotel in DC?

Room Tip: Avoid room 913.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Canucksontheloose,

Thank you for your taking the time to write your review. I am glad to learn how much you enjoyed our amenities and location. I do apologize about the issues you experienced during your stay and wished that these had been brought to my attention before your departure so that they could be corrected. Kindly contact me directly at the hotel so that we can discuss the details of your stay and ensure your satisfaction with the resolution.

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Spacious room W/ king bed and pull out sleeper. Very clean and maintained well. Comfy bed and full kitchen. We were a couple but this room was large enough to accommodate a family. Staff was friendly and helpful. Valet parking was $40 a day. They explained one could street park. There are few spots to accommodate and unloading bags is from the street. Once checked in it is public transport because there is no DC parking. Foggy Bottom Metro is a short walk of a few blks. Does require some figuring it out on the fares as it is all self help. Not very many dinning choices in the area. The hotel will stock the fridge for a fee. Only breakfast is served and it was a limited choice and high $$. Good price for DC hotel. Location is not far from the sights via their public transport. It was a late March snow and freezing temps for our stay. The room was toasty warm. Really like the fact that the floors are without carpeting. Very Clean feeling. Would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Our suite was on the 1 st floor level and it was quite.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear HHMNewYork_NY,

Thank you for your taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that our amenities, room size, location and cleanliness had so much to do with that. On behalf of my team we look forward to welcoming you back from New York.

ny, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is a chic, clean, fun hotel in a great location. We LOVED having a kitchen even though we ate our meals out. With kids it was just nice to have a place to put the milk (wine), fruit, etc without it feeling nasty. The management tends to all be West African and couldn't be more charming. With 4 kids we are very unused to ANY hotels, besides Clorox-ridden, cheapo joints that can handle all of us. There is a real niche for this type of hotel that is currently unmet. as people with kids are more used to begging for adjoining rooms and upon arriving, find they are supposed to put their 5 year-old, down the hall, This hotel is a whole different concept. Decent sized rooms, a real living room, a real kitchen and plenty of hang out space. The only hitch is that we were so comfortable and the weather in DC was so awful when we were there that we were a little sluggish about getting out the door. This place is a find.

Room Tip: There is a big bar scene downstairs so probably want t higher floor. We were on the third floor and...
Dear arbella8,

Thank you for your recent stay and for writing your review. I am delighted to learn how much you loved our amenities, room size, location and service. I do apologize about the weather in Dc during your stay but we are hopefully over the winter and on to warmer days ahead. On behalf of my team we look forward to welcoming you back from New York.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

It was a pleasure to stay at the Avenue Suites with my family of 5. Traveling with 5 is always a challenge but this hotel was perfect for us. All the staff members were wonderful including the front desk personnel and the staff in the dining area. They all made me felt very welcome whenever they saw me and my family and made me feel "at home". The rooms were modern, clean, large and very comfortable. The kitchen for a family with 3 small kids was an added bonus and was very useful. Its location was ideal for easy access to Georgetown and the National Mall. It will be my first choice hotel whenever I return to DC, whether by myself for business or with family on vacation.

Dear Alex E,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to complete our on-line survey. I am delighted to know that our hotel was perfect for your family. I appreciate your kind comments regarding our amenities, location and service. On behalf of my team we look forward to welcoming you back to your “home” in DC.