This hotel is in a formerly industrial-only location. It is 3 miles NE of Union Station. It is not near any of the sites in Washington D.C. There are only a few fast food restaurants nearby, along with a large railyard and a large construction dump.
It is about 1.5 miles to the nearest Metro station. I would not feel comfortable walking to the station, or taking the bus to the station. Because of this, the hotel advertises that they have a "Shuttle Service" to take you to Union Station (which is also a Metro station). I have stayed in hundreds of hotels, on 6 continents (I travel for work). Most of the hotels I have stayed in have a legitimate shuttle service.
The "Shuttle Service" at this Holiday Inn Express is crap. Only five times a day, and only in the morning, with only 14 seats available, the "shuttle" will take you to Union Station. Only twice a day, and only in the early evening, with only 14 seats available, the "shuttle" will take you from Union Station to the hotel. EVERY shuttle I asked about taking, except for one, was full. It doesn't even make sense that they have 70 seats, total, going to Union Station in the morning, and only 28 seats, total, coming back. Crazy, and not what I would remotely call "shuttle" service.
I would not stay at this hotel ever again.
Washington D.C. is NOT car friendly. It is very hard to get around, and hard to find parking, and the parking is expensive. IF you were to stay at this hotel, you need a car, or you need to pay about $30 per day to get to and from the hotel and Union Station via taxi. I do NOT recommend driving in D.C. (we did two days of driving, and it was quite difficult). If you aren't driving, then you are overpaying for this hotel, because you have to add $30/day for taxi fares to get into the metro system.
Rating the hotel itself, it is a somewhat below average Holiday Inn. There is a free breakfast, which is good, but the food quality is typical for a free breakfast, which means it is very poor, low quality, food that is not very good for your health (like most American food). There is a small pool and a workout room, which is equipped below average. I am used to a more comfortable bed. They DID have fitted sheets, which I feel is required to have a comfortable night's sleep.
They advertise their bedding as being very good. It was average....not good, not bad.
The staff was friendly and helpful, except that they could not get shuttle transportation for those of us in the hotel, due to the lack of capacity.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites of Northeast Washington is near many top attractions. Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA)is less than 10 miles away, Union Station and NoMa/Gallaudet Metro are within 2 miles, giving travelers easy access to our hotel. Our complimentary shuttle will take you at pre-set times to Union Station, from there you can see all the major attractions, museums and get to your meeting quickly too. Visitors can immerse themselves in history while visiting the 19 museums of the Smithsonian Institute or popular, downtown Washington, DC memorials. The close proximity of our Washington, DC hotel to the US Capitol, local businesses and government offices makes the commute easy for business travelers. You'll find the Washington Times, the FBI and both Georgetown and George Washington universities within just five miles of our hotel in Washington. In addition, our 900 square feet of meeting space and a 24-hour business center can help you host a conference during your stay. Our hotel rooms overlooking DC offer entertainment for the whole family with free high-speed, wired and wireless Internet access in every room. Unwind anytime in the 24-hour fitness center, indoor heated pool or whirlpool. For a complimentary hot breakfast and a convenient stay, choose this Washington, DC hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Washington Dc-Northeast
- Holiday Inn Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Holiday Inn