“Very fresh and creative sushi” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Washington, DC
“Very fresh and creative sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We were looking for a new place for sushi because our two old regulars were starting to slip in quality. Reading the reviews for Umi we were ready to try it out. However, when we clicked to their website we saw that they were under new management. We called and found out the new management started on May 1, 2012. Well there were only two reviews since then but we decided to go for it. We were not disappointed at all. In fact everything was delicious and the fish was super fresh (the reason we stopped going to our old place was the fish was a little fishy twice in a row ... anyway...). The service was fast and friendly. The rolls were creative and there were a lot of specialties that gave us some great variety in the sushi we ordered. We also liked the decor -- we were a little worried when we were walking up the steps to the 2nd floor but once inside, the place was really pretty. Enjoy!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Alexandria, Virginia
“Delicious Sushi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We were hesitant about going here because of some of the reviews but I'm very glad we did!

The location along Connecticut Ave is great. It's slightly alarming walking up the stairs, but once you reach the restaurant you'll discover a wonderful little sushi bar/restaurant that's very visually appealing. Although on the small size, it did have plenty of seating for a fairly large party (12 or so) and additional guests. Despite its size, the tables are spaced well as to still maintain privacy amongst the dinner parties.

We ordered four different rolls and sake; service was prompt and our waitress was very attentive. The sushi and sake were both delicious! I certainly enjoyed our experience and will return when in the area again!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Memphis
“Great, small, reasonably prices sushi restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I went up the steps to Umi and found a delightful lunch spot. We both has the lunch special that included salad and 2 sushi rolls. The sushi was great and our server very polite. I would definitely return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Great Service, Above Average Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Umi is a quiet tucked away sushi bar. I came for a late lunch solo and enjoyed excellent service. The tempura shrimp and sweet potatoes were very good, but the bowl of udon had obiquitous napa cabbage, thinly sliced carrots, and other signs of cheap veggies that don't quite belong.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
United States
“Mediocre”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I was convinced by other reviewers to avoid an older sushi restaurant I have been going to for decades. My teenage son and I were looking forward to good sushi....fake crab sticks, frozen red snapper and California rolls made from seemingly fake avocado don't say good to me.

The tempura tasted like white flour and was dry. The salad was limp with a teaspoon of dressing. Bento box came with 3 small cuts from a larger California roll. The fried rice was bland.

The soft shell crab appetizer was made from frozen crabs that evidently had lost weight in shipment.

The service: my son waited for 45 minutes for his meal. I had already finished by then. We sat at the bar to watch the sushi chefs at work but one appeared to be just learning the craft.

We were thoroughly disappointed and didn't even leave a tip.

Really? A sushi spot that serves fake crab sticks???? Won't be returning.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere