“Perfect Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

You added Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   815 14th St., NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Deal
Ranked #30 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dubai
“Perfect Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

The hotel is located within walking distance of the White House, subway station and lots of restaurants. However, be aware that this is a working area and therefore at weekends and in the evenings it gets pretty quiet. You have to travel out a fair few blocks if you don't want to eat in the hotel.
The room was spacious, clean (although damp - the carpet dried out with the window open for the day) and the bed was big and comfy! The only issue is the noise - we wanted to be street side for the sun shine and the views but be prepared for street noise. We were on the 12th floor and we could still hear everything going on outside - especially the saxophonist / brass band that were busking on a nearby street corner every morning from 7am...!
The staff at the hotel were always friendly and welcoming - impressive for such a big hotel. It did however take four different phone calls and two conversations in person for them to link together our two bookings (made prior to arriving as we decided to extend our stay).
The room service was superb - really lovely food. Having a laundry room in the hotel was a bonus - especially as we were on such a long trip. It saved on massive hotel laundry bills or trekking out to find a wash and fold service.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in DC on a bit of a budget!

Room Tip: Use the ear plugs and go for a high floor street side - it is noisy but you'll get lovely aftern...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 3 nights and the first night we had a room that overlooked the street. This was extremely noisy and so we asked to be moved to a quieter room. The new room was quiet but the A/C was so loud that it made sleeping difficult. This must be a standard problem as this is the first hotel that offers you earplugs as part of their toiletries pack. However the service here was excellent and the food was good too. The staff were very polite and friendly. The rooms were spacious and clean and the hotel is ideally situated for tourists. Breakfast was great. We'd stay again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
HGIDC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thank you Jilly H for your review!

As you indicated our location is close to the attractions and museums. At peak travel times this can result in high traffic noise. If you can be so kind however to pass me a note and let me know your room number, I would like to take a look at the AC unit. It shouldn't be as loud as you mentioned and may have a problem to fix. My email is john.rish@hilton.com

I hope you had a good trip back to the "land down under"!

Cheers,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Overall the staff at this location was good, most were very helpful with the duration of my stay. The property is a little dated, but was kept up very well. The location is great for touring of all the sites and monuments. Restaurants in close really early nearby so, If you get hungry you will have to voyage a few blocks away.

The assistant manager who helped me check in was a nightmare. He was not welcoming or accommodating at all. I felt like I was bothering him and quite frankly I was quite intimidated to even ask for a paid upgrade for my room. I never felt so uneasy during a check-in to a hotel before and as a Hilton Gold Member, I should never have to feel that way. I spent a good amount of money at this location for my stay and feeling NOT welcomed and treated as if I was a nuisance is not ok. No PAYING guest should ever feel this way.

Room Tip: Have someone other then the assistant manager check in. He was awful!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Tong T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Naturally I am disappointed to hear of your experience and agree with you completely.

If you would be so kind to contact me directly at 202-521-1600, I would like to get some more information regarding your interaction plus see what I can do to redeem our reputation.

I apologize for your experience and committed to improving this.

Ocean City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Had a great family experience. Hotel was clean, hotel staff was friendly and very helpful in finding places to visit and dine. I picked Hilton Garden Inn because it was close to my daughters college and in Washington DC. We had planned a night of sightseeing and dining before my daughter left for college and it was wonderful. We were walking distance to all the monuments and dining spots.

Room Tip: Parking is valet. We had to navigate our directions so that we going in the direction of front entra...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review!

I love when I see comments about our location but I very much appreciate comments regarding the staff. They work very hard and is so rewarding to see they had a positive impact. I'll be certain to share with the team.

Thank you once again and hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

John
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night in August.

Hotel offers valet parking which is expensive but this seems the norm for Washington D.C. The roadworks in the street made it difficult to get to the front of the hotel but once I was there I was helped quickly by the friendly valet staff.

Check in was easy, there was a room available early (1.30pm) which we appreciated as we were able to leave our things and explore the City. Tea and coffee was always available in the reception area.

Close to major sights, just a few minutes walk to The White House and many bars, coffee shops and shops.

Room was nice; 2 king beds, coffee maker, fridge, microwave and large bathroom. Neutrogena toiletries and ear plugs! We didn't experience much noise from outside.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review Stephanie J,

Our goal is to be your first choice when traveling to DC. I like four ratings but five are better. If there was a service or an amenity we could have offered to move the needle, I would love to get your thoughts. My email is john.rish@hilton.com.

Thank you again for your insight.

Midlothian, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Everything about this hotel was great EXCEPT the double bed. I asked about this during checkout, and I was told that only the king size beds are adjustable. I would only stay here again if the Hilton could guarantee a king size bed.

(1) Sleeping on the Hilton Garden Inn double bed was like sleeping on the floor. I stayed there for two days, so I was exhausted because I didn't sleep for two days.

(2) Location was great because there is lots of shopping within walking distance, the Metro station is nearby, and lots of great restaurants

(3) Safety was great because the elevator requires a room key to stop on guest floors

(4) They sever great cookies in the evening. They also serve coffee in the morning, but they don't have flavored creamers.

(5) Hotel restaurant food was great and the staff was excellent

(6) I misplaced my iPhone charger, and the staff went above and beyond to help me

Room Tip: Ask for a king size bed if you want to adjust firmness. Otherwise, the beds are hard
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Monica,

I loved your other comments but sorry that you felt the bed was too firm. The mattresses are rather new and tend to be stiff the first year.

Please let me know when you return to DC and I will make the appropriate arrangements to make sure you get a perfect night's sleep.

Best regards,

John
Redwood City, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

This particular Hilton Garden Inn hotel exceeded my previous experience in other Hilton Garden Inn hotels. The lobby decor is modern and welcoming. The coffee in the lobby was fresh. The room I stayed in was updated and very clean. The location was great as it is close to the tourist spots and cafes. The only thing is the valet and garage fees are high. I guess that's with all DC hotels. Definitely a good hotel for the family.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown? Share your experiences!