“Great location; feels like a new hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

You added Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   815 14th St., NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Deal
Ranked #33 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Hazard, Kentucky
“Great location; feels like a new hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I travel to D.C. about once a year and have stayed in a number of hotels there, but this one is my favorite. It is very trendy, clean, and has a friendly, helpful staff. I stayed there recently with a large group and we were well pleased. The sales staff is EXTREMELY efficient and helpful. I would STRONGLY recommend this hotel to any school or group planning a visit to Washington.

FYI: I am very picky about hotel cleanliness and I love how spotless this establishment is. It is VERY CLEAN and although it has been there for a few years it still appears new and updated. The furnishings and appointments are very nice - what I have come to expect from a Hilton-brand hotel.

I have read some reviews about the beds being hard and there is a bit of truth to that. The reality is they are very high quality mattresses that just happen to be of the non-plush variety. I have a terrible back and I sleep like a baby on these. That being said, if you prefer a REALLY soft, bouncy mattress you'd be better off elsewhere, but if you don't mind a firmer mattress, you'll actually appreciate them.

In addition to the fine appointments of the room, my favorite thing about this hotel is the location. The metro stop is DIRECTLY across the street. Just a couple of stops to the mall of the Smithsonian and a couple more to the Capital. Chinatown and the White House are both in walking distance, as are a large number of "fast food" and fine dining restaurants. There is also a pharmacy only a block or so down that offers lots of stuff that forgetful people like me appreciate.

As far as "negatives" I really only have a few. If you stay on some rooms on the lower floors (two through five) there are certain rooms at the center of the building that have diminished cell reception and thus phone service may be a bit spotty in certain parts of the room. I recommend staying higher up in the hotel or at least get a street-facing room on lower floors. Also, recently I needed to briefly meet with my group in the evening (for about 20 minutes) and was told by the evening desk manager that this would not be possible unless I paid what I thought was a ridiculous amount of money. Puuuleeeeease. Speaking of ridiculous...I got the munchies one night and stopped by the Pantry Shop next to the front desk for a regular-sized candy bar. It was $2.00, so be sure to bring your own snacks or you'll go broke.

Anyway, aside from these minor issues I was extremely pleased with my last stay there and would definitely recommend it to others. It is certainly my favorite hotel in the D.C. area!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We enjoyed our stay tremendously. The hotel was within easy walking distance of the White House and was right across the street from the Metro, so getting around in the city was quite easy. The room was very comfortable and the service was great. I called the day before we arrived to verify the reservation and to have a special welcome gift left in the room for our friends and the front desk was very helpful in setting it up. The Champaign and Chocolate covered strawberries were very well received by our friends. The whole staff went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. The hotel had a restaurant that had excellent service, the servers remembered that no one in our party drank coffee and were quick with the juice and water every morning. There was an excellent breakfast buffet that included chef made omelets and waffles, as well as an excellent assortment of pastries, fruit and breakfast cereals, etc. The Buffet was also very reasonably priced at $16 per. Overall, the Hilton Garden Inn exceeded our expectations in everyway! Well done!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I absolutely enjoyed my stay at this hotel. We were greeted by friendly and helpful doormen as soon as our van arrived. We arrived at noon and although check-in was not until 3pm the staff member "Mike" quickly recommended checking the room availability and we were able to check into one of 3 rooms early. Front desk staff called as soon as the other rooms became available. Staff member "Deangelo" who was beyond helpful provided us local maps and gave us recommendations on dining. This hotel is located in the heart of downtown and close to great dining such as Five Guys, Subway, and Cosi as well as other fine dining locations. The hotel is also located right across the street from the McPherson Sq rail station and one block from CVS drug store. The greatest advantage of location is that the hotel is located just a couple blocks from the Whitehouse and many other DC main attractions! This hotel is great, clean, and ideal for tourist. I would strongly recommend this hotel and I would stay again and again! Hats off to the management and staff of this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a street view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Midland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Located close to major sights. Very convenient Metro station right across the street to get anywhere quickly. The staff is very friendly and went out of their way to help at every turn. Our room was always quiet. Clean room, comfortable bed. Breakfast staff is very helpful and friendly too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Spring Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with our family and found the location to be very convenient. Metro stop across the street and the White House is only a few blocks away. The staff were very friendly and joked around with our two boys every morning we left and when we would come back in the afternoon. My one compliant is that the rooms with two beds are doubles and not queen sized which is a little small for two people.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were delighted to find that access from the airport was quick and easy, yet still right in the middle of the action. Within walking distance of the White House and several of the other major Washington attractions the hotel is in a great location. We used the local buses for most of our sightseeing and the routes we needed were all close to the hotel. Reception was friendly and helpful. The first room we were assigned to had a noisy air-conditioner but we were quickly given an alternate room which was just fine. The breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Just check the room air-conditioner isn't noisy
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

No complaints about this hotel - very friendly staff, lovely room, wonderful location. The value was amazing - would strongly recommend it!

The only thing about DC in general is it's not very easy to find random places to eat when you've no set place in mind - the hotel gives you a list of suggestions which we didn't use so if you are staying here use that or else have a few places written down.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple