“Lovely stay, great location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

Save Saved
You added Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   815 14th St., NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed N Breakfast Deal
Ranked #23 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Dormansland, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay, great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I always use Tripadvisor before booking a hotel and this time was no exception. Previous reviews highlighted the great location and they were right. It is an easy walk to the White House, the Washington monument and the museums.

On arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant young man who made sure that check in was quick and efficient. The room was lovely and a perfect size for myself, my mother, my husband and our 2 year old son. It was clean and well decorated. The cleaning staff were very pleasant and efficient.

We used the room service on several occasions and it was of a high standard, enjoyed by all.

The only negatives were.....

the hotel bar, which never opened on time and usually had most of it's seating area blocked off, thus making it so there was not enough seats for everyone wanting a quick refreshment. We resolved this by visiting a nearby hotel who were more than happy to serve us.

AND

Secondly the biggest negative. Eddie. Oh Eddie, you nearly negated all the good work your fellow reception staff had done. All we asked you for was for a late check out but you made it seem like we were asking for all the gold in the world. Actually remembering Eddie's level of customer service has made me change this review from 5/5 to 4/5. On top of Eddie's poor customer service he also seemed to have a lose grip on the fees associated with a late check out.

In conclusion we had a lovely stay in Washington and part of this was due to the hotel. We would definitely stay here again on return but we would avoid Eddie at all costs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

1,476 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Starkville, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is my go-to location for trips to Washington. Metro is across the street, great variety of restaurants within walking distance. The hotel itself is well kept, and the staff is always very helpful. Breakfast buffet is extraordinarily good. The rooms are always clean, and one of my quirks is I like an A/C that will run the fan continuously to cover any noise, and this hotel has that too!

Newport, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We spent two days at HGI on 14th & were satisfied overall. The location is great, but the rooms are a bit small, the housekeeping could have been better & the card key required to use the elevator wasn't very convenient. We asked for a high room on the back side as recommended based upon reviews & didn't have any problems with noise. Would stay again if the price is right.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Nice hotel, clean rooms, great location. The concierge and staff were quick on the bags and attentive with guiding to good restaurants. Nothing out of place, all as it should be. A nice experience and worth the reservation.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Spent two days in DC on business and I am so happy that I chose the Hilton Garden Inn on 14th. I plan to stay there as many times as I possibly can while traveling to the District. The weather was snowy and windy when I arrived but I was greeted by Mark who took care of all my luggage and parking my vehicle. He has such a pleasant personality, is so accommodating, helpful and funny! I asked only for his service while I was there. I met Joel and Mark at the front desk. These gentlemen were like a tag team of charm, wit and knowledge. Joel assured me that it was okay that the front desk was practically taller than I (and, later, recommended a good liquor store within a 5-minute sprint) and Deangelo wowed me with his culinary lexicon and restaurant recommendations.

The hotel room was delightfully clean and the location was so convenient...close to everything! The only complaint I have is the lack of surface parking and the high price to valet. But, it IS the capital city so that is to be expected.

I LOVED my stay there and hope the next time I return my new friends will be there to take care of me.

Well done, Hilton Garden Inn. Well done, indeed.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We chose this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. Located downtown, reasonably close to Union Station and definitely within walking distance to the White House and Smithsonian. The hotel desk staff was pleasant, and we had no difficulties checking in. We thought they might be worn out from the inauguration, but the staff was very nice. The porters and bell captain were very attentive to our needs. We came in late, and the little 24 hour pantry was a nice amenity. The room was spacious and had refrigerator and microwave. The view was nothing; just the air handlers. But it made for a very dark room at night, which is how we like it. There is a full buffet breakfast with omelets to order. There are many extraordinary and classic hotels in D.C., but the Hilton Garden is plain vanilla. Just fine with us, we were out to see the city.

Room Tip: Some rooms have no views at all.