“Very pleased with our stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

You added Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   815 14th St., NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Deal
Ranked #34 of 136 Hotels in Washington DC
East Coast Canada
“Very pleased with our stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this property during our sight seeing trip to Washington. The hotel was modern and comfortable. The bathroom was updated and had great amenities(Bath and Body Works) and a great shower and large sink counter for getting ready. The breakfast at the restaurant was $14 for the buffet. We passed and went elsewhere as this would have been expensive for our family and there were cheaper options close by. The hotel is situated close to the White House but it is a reasonable walk to most all tourist attractions. We parked the car with the hotel (38 per night) and walked everywhere. No issues with location. We reserved the hotel far in advance and got a good rate. Our room was ready upon arrival just after lunch which was great. No street noise in our room. Hotel was clean and safe. Overall very pleased with our stay!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
San Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

As a DC native, it's strange for me to stay in hotels. We selected this one based on it's location- which is great. Walking distance to everything- Chinatown, The Mall, etc. It's a 7 minute taxi ride to Union Station. We flew directly in to National. It's an easy Metro ride but much luggage and a cranky 8 year-old? We took a cab. It was less than $20 from the airport to the hotel.

The room itself was clean and neat. We looked out to the dumpsters but really, it's a hotel in a major city. I wasn't paying for premium views, I was paying for a place to sleep. The heater wasn't working right but I let the front desk know on our way out and it was fixed when we returned a few hours later. The beds were comfortable and clean. I didn't notice any noise at all but I live in a downtown area so that's probably why.

We ate at the Grist Mill, their restaurant, and were very pleasantly surprised at how good it was. We did not have breakfast there as it seemed incredibly expensive for what you get, and there's a ton of bagel places and Au Bon Pain, etc. within blocks of the hotel.

It was a nice place to stay and while not a 'regular' Garden Inn (obviously it hasn't always been a Garden Inn, it's a pretty old building I think!) it was as well managed as they all have been. My son in particular thought the doorman was fantastic.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Newry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Very clean rooms and a big bathroom that was clean too. The room was comfortable and so was the bed! Close to all the tourist attractions and staff where very friendly. Some people mention the noise of the streets and views out onto an alley which I had. But come one, you are ina mjor city you have to expect these things. I can handle street noise, and I am not in Washington to sit looking out a window at the view!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Like most dc hotels, bring ear plugs or ask them to set your fan to run constantly for the white noise. On the 14th street side the road noise is a bit much but manageable if you plan ahead. Very clean hotel, safe, great service. Both Jessica and Jojo at the bar are simply delightful and work their butt off. As a frequent traveler I appreciate great service and a friendly smile. Because of the road noise and mix up at check in, I give the hotel facility 4 stars but I give the staff 5+++ stars.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from the 30th of December through the 1st of January. We booked through Expedia, and the room was described as having as city view. We had an unattractive view of the alley. The room was very clean, and a decent size. We choose this hotel based on the ratings and location. The first night there I sat on the edge of the bed and thought that it was rather firm. That night I tossed and turned all night and kept rolling to the middle of the bed where there was a large indentation. I finally fell asleep at 6am after putting a pillow between my knees. I thought that maybe I could do that the next night and get better sleep. The next night I couldn't fall asleep again. The beds are so hard that laying on your side hurts your shoulders and your hips. I just find it strange that people rated this hotel so high considering the bed is the most important part. My boyfriend and I were so tried that we couldn't enjoy sightseeing. We went to bed at 9pm on New Years eve!

I'm really not happy about the value of this room and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to any of my friends or family. What a shame because the location and cleanliness are great. If you don't like firm beds, stay away because this bed felt like sleeping on a granite counter top. Due to the tossing and turning, the fitted sheets kept coming off the bed at the top and I would frequently wake up with my face touching the mattress. The sheets were not deep enough for the bed. We also had desert at the hotel restaurant. I got a chocolate volcano cake, it tasted fine but didn't have the liquid center. It was cooked it too long.

There is construction happening on the street behind the hotel. We were treated to sounds of jackhammers and trucks backing up at 3am the first night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HGIDC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Bamoram,

I am sorry to see that you had a time with the bed in your room. If you would contact me directly, I would like to know the room number of your specific room so I can investiage and take corrective action.

The beds in our King rooms have, for lack of a better term, a sleep number bed. As such both sides of the bed can vary in firmness. From your description, it sounds as if one side was set softer than the other or even an air baffle may have failed. Either way, it didn't work the way is was intended.

Please contact me and let me know what your room number was and I will do my best to make the right for you. My email is john.rish@hilton.com.

John Rish
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We traveled to DC with our 5 year old grandson. We chose this hotel because of its location and because it offered a suite option. It worked out great! He wanted to see the White House which was too blocks away. The room worked well for us because it had a mini fridge and two TVs. The hotel pool was also a big hit along with the afternoon cookies. One night we had dinner at the restaurant which met our needs perfectly. The front desk was extremely helpful too. I highly recommend the Hilton Garden in DC.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed there just before Christmas, the hotel was modern, clean and charming. I would look elsewhere to dine in future as the portions although well prepared and tasty were not that great. I ordered lasagne and got just that.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business