“Central to Everything” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Washington Convention Center

You added Courtyard by Marriott Washington Convention Center to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Washington Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 F St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #38 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
San Francisco, California, United States
“Central to Everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I'm just wrapping up six nights at the DC Courtyard here on F and 9th, smack in the heart of everything, and I've pretty much got only great things to say.

The not so great part first:
1. Fitness Center == really really really tiny. They have squeezed a couple treadmills and a couple of ellipticals in one room, a set of weights and a multi-purpose weight system in another one -- and the 2nd one being a glass box in the basement Bistro elevator lobby. You'd better look good in that gym wear, because you're on show! The "pool" is more of a plunge but gets points for both cuteness (feels rather luxurious next to the old bank vault) and for having a connected hot tub/jacuzzi (although who would hot tub in a DC summer is beyond me, I'm close enough to a stroke in this heat as it is!).
2. The Bistro == You'll see this on the upside as well, as the staff here, like everywhere and everyone in Downtown DC, couldn't be nicer and more service oriented. It's just that you're in the basement. Clearly leasing the light and bright ground floor space to Gordon Biersch brewery was more lucrative for Marriott Corp, but relegating your guests to the basement for breakfast doesn't feel so warm and fuzzy. Nice job on the decor, but if you're the claustrophobic sort this probably will not be your favorite spot.
3. What's up with the elevators? Every evening it seemed like one of the three working (of 4) elevators was parked on an upper floor. This presented a BIG problem after the 4th of July fireworks when we spent nearly 1/2 hour in line to get on the elevator (shame on you people who walked down to the basement to get on ahead of those of us in line -- bad citizens!).

So, don't come for the fitness center and don't come for the basement dining. On the other hand, if you are a true workoutmeister, there is a Crunch just down the block and you can probably buy some day passes for that.

Last downside:

4. The sliding scale (again, also on the upside list): Rack rate for the basic room is $369 (with breakfast, woohoo!). From Sunday to Tuesday nights we paid (or, more exactly, my partner's company paid) $269 (with tax $296) nightly (breakfast not included). Thursday through Saturday we paid $141 plus tax. Same room. I just hate that. At least we weren't paying the higher rates, but, ultimately, don't we all? It's that "always feel like you're getting the not quite perfect deal" paranoia that makes this wearing on the traveler.

Upsides -- and there are plenty:

1. Nicely modernized rooms -- I especially like the big walk in shower that replaced the tubs -- a really nice touch for those of us who are tired of standing in the tub... The a/c worked great (although I'm convinced it was set at a master control, not in my room), the digital TV could have worked a little better, but there were LOTS of electrical outlets in all the right places, including bedside, so it's easy to charge all your stuff. Great fan in the bathroom for those of you who appreciate such stuff. The in room coffee, no matter how little water I added, basically sucked. But, there's very strong Starbucks coffee in the basement, so not so bad.
2. Technology friendly -- not just lots of easily accessible and well-placed electricity, but wifi everywhere you go, and included in whatever it was you ended up paying! Excellent. Although please note, DC is a very 4G friendly town! I only had trouble when we were at the Capitol Concert -- the system was just bogged down, understandably with all those folks snapping photos.
3. Location: I can't really imagine a better location than this hotel. A block from the Gallery Metro, 2.5 blocks from the National Mall (making it a 10 minute walk from most major museums), a 15 minute stroll to the Capitol, 10 to the White House (if you're going for dinner, say hi to Michelle... -- no tours during the Sequestration - don't get me started). Restaurants everywhere you look (check my upcoming reviews of Jaleo, Central and Pintanga). WE walked almost everywhere from here and where we didn't (ballpark, waterfront for boat cruise or Bethesda) the location was so transit central is was delightful to come and go. Absolutely 110% perfect location.
4. Great Staff: Umbrellas, bottled water, early check-in (we arrived at 7:30am from the west coast on a red eye -- thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you Courtyard for letting us check in upon arrival), and a charming, polite and authentic staff. The Bistro staff -- excellent! Loved you all! The front desk, ditto, ditto -- great, warm and competent (so very important in a front desk staff). The front door -- always saying hello, have a great day, handing out info and weather reports -- very personal and makes the hotel feel like a sanctuary without feeling overly protected. Kudos to the Marriott HR folks for hiring and training, but mostly kudos to the great people -- I really like everyone I've ever met in DC.

One final word of warning: If you have never been to DC in the summer and you are NOT used to the heat and humidity, think about coming in the fall. The summer is crowded with families (but handles it all very well), but the heat -- OMG -- the heat. Yuck. I was in shorts and a tank top and was completely totally soaking wet after 20 minutes outside every single day (hence my loving the Courtyard showers!). Fair warning.

Room Tip: 7th floor has the big arched windows. Sound quality was excellent -- very peaceful. However, I rec...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great location - short walk to the major attractions and surrounded by restaurants. Also very close to the metro. The hotel staff and valet was courteous and efficient. The check in and reception is to the right after you enter the building. The room was clean and huge. Literally, I did a cartwheel. But it's because they gave us one of the disability rooms. Good complimentary wifi.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed in DC for 5 nights and normally save Courtyards for quick overnight stays. We prefer nicer brands for extended stays. We looked at the JW, Marriott Metro Center and the Renaissance to use our Marriott points, but none offered connecting rooms. So, we tried the Courtyard. I am so glad we did. Having two rooms made our vacation so much more enjoyable than all 4 of us cramming into one small room.

I would never guess that this was a Courtyard. Not that Courtyards aren't nice or have bad service, but they just don't usually offer the extra things that I prefer in a "vacation" hotel. Everyone was so pleasant and helpful from the valets, the doormen, the concierge, the front desk staff and the housekeeping staff. They do offer room service but we didn't use it. There's a small market place in the lobby for toiletries and a few snacks.

The building is an old converted bank so make sure you pay attention to some of the details that are still there. The vault doors are still down in the basement. So check it out on the way to the pool or workout room. About the pool, yes it is very small, but it's there along with a small hot tub. I wouldn't plan on spending too much time in there. But fine for a quick dip or to let the kids splash around a bit. They had a few pool toys/floats to use. There are two workout rooms. The cardio room looked over the pool and had I think 3 treadmills and 2 ellipticals. The weight room was around the corner and had a decent set of hand weights, a bench and some sort of multi-purpose machine that I've seen at my gym but never used myself.

The rooms were very clean, modern and comfortable. We had a king room that had a shower (no tub) and an extra lounge chair, microwave and fridge. Also had adjoining room with 2 queen beds, bathroom had a tub/shower and there was a fridge. I do not believe there was a microwave in that room however. Storage space in both rooms was on the small side, so again I was really glad to have two rooms. The amenities in the bathrooms were a bit lacking too. They only had shampoo, conditioner and two bars of soap (body and face). Not a big deal to me as I always bring what I need. But we did just stay one night at a Holiday Inn Express that had cotton balls, q-tips, shower gel, and a shower cap.

Free wifi was nice though my husband had trouble connecting to itunes and netflix, thinking they were blocked by the hotel. He called about that but didn't get a good answer. I was able to download something to my kindle on the last day of our stay, so maybe it was an apple issue. That's really the only complaint that we had. Oh and since I know the manager reads these, ipod docking stations would be nice to replace for the standard alarm clocks.

Location was truly fantastic! Two blocks to two different metro stations (which we never used). And easy walking distance to almost everything that we saw. After the fireworks on the mall, we were back in our room 15 minutes later. We did take a cab down to the monuments as we had already done so much walking that day. It was $10 each way, including tip.

So many great restaurants nearby too. Our favorites were Lukes Lobster (I went 3 times), Cuba Libre and Rosa Mexicano. There's a panini place right next door that has breakfast and lunch paninis that were quick and tasty. Pizza restaurant District of Pi was 2 doors down. I recommend that as it's a small local chain for us (St. Louis). They have really good Chicago style pizza and a thinner crust too. Across the street was the Shake Shack which was good for a burger.

I absolutely recommend this hotel/location and will definitely stay again if I ever come back to DC.

Dearborn, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

For the 4th of July, my wife, two kids (3 and 1) and I went to Washington DC. We picked the Marriott Washington Convention Center because it had the best holiday rates that we could find that was downtown and had a pool. The location fit was perfectly since we don't mind walking. We were right next to the Spy Museum, Art Museum and Ford's Theater. Not to mention many very good restaurants that we ate at, and the Metro which could get you on the Red, Green and Yellow lines. We were about a 10 minute walk to the National Mall and all of its surrounding sites. The hotel staff was very friendly, and they took our two luggage carts full of stuff at the front door. There is a very nice brewery at the main floor of the hotel that we ate at a couple times and it also has affordable drink specials. The pool is very small, but the little ones loved it anyways. For the fireworks, we headed to the Mall about an hour before they started, and had no difficulty finding a spot that wasn't crowded and could easily see the display. It was a very nice experience and the room has enough space, a mini fridge and comfortable beds.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor (10th not 10R) and had a good view of the Art Museum
New City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at this Courtyard on July 4th and 5th. The staff was attentive and pleasant. All our needs were taken care of, and they even offered water free of charge as you ventured out in the oppressive summer heat.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel was great! Staff was very helpful. Just make sure you check you car all the way around when they bring it up for you before you leave. They had our van door already open for us and stood there waiting to close it for us and it wasn't until we were two hours away at a gas station before we relized they hit something on our right back side by the tire and tried to cover it by opening the van door before we got outside.

• Stayed July 2013
Zaw O, Hotel Operations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington Convention Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you so much for staying at Courtyard Convention Center; and for taking your time to write this review about our hotel. I am so sorry to hear that you believe our valet has caused the damage to your car. But, I can assure you that what you wrote in the review was not the case. As you can read the rest of this TripAdvisor reviews, we hold high standards of guest services; and that process include opening the door when the guests arrive and closing the door when they leave. It is part of our guest services standard. It was not to cover up any damage as you accused. Any damage to the cars is covered by the insurance company and we have no reason to cover up any damage that caused under our knowledge. I sincerely wish you and us saw the damage before you drive off but it is too late at this point. All I can offer this time is our apology that we are truly sorry about this. Kind regards, Zaw.
Syracuse, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located to everything, including the new Crime Museum (don't skip it). Service is fantastic and friendly from valet (never took long to have our vehicle brought around) to front desk, to cleaning staff!! Rooms are spacious, clean, well furnished, beds comfy, shower roomy, and the fridge and microwave are an added plus. Skip Gordon Biersch as service is non-existent, (Mid-afternoon we were served drinks and waitress did not return after 20 min, so we left) It is a chain restaurant. With so many great places to eat like Capital Grille (best steakhouse in town) no need to suffer mediocrity. Love this hotel and we will definitely return!!

Room Tip: We were in 613 (King Room) with a view of F Street and were very pleased.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Washington Convention Center? Share your experiences!