“Beautiful, quiet, convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel

You added Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel to your Saves list
Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2660 Woodley Road, NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #97 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Siesta Key, Florida
“Beautiful, quiet, convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

I went to D.C. for the weekend with my husband and another couple. We stayed here and LOVED the location. It is in a quiet neighborhood off of a main street, right next to a Metro stop. We easily travelled into the touristy locations of D.C. and loved that the Metro put us right back at the hotel. The room was beautiful, clean, and no bed bugs!! We were able to open the windows to let in the cool, fresh air and enjoyed the shower and large walk-in closet. The beds were classic Marriott and we all slept great. The hotel is much larger than we thought, with a few restaurants, and conference center. The one restaurant had an AWESOME breakfast buffet for $20 that we all could not stop eating! Everyone was extremely nice and helpful, and we had such a great time. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

This is an old-fashioned sprawling convention hotel in the leafy Woodley Park Neighborhood. From the sound of the other reviews, the main hotel appears to be a challenge--but the historic Wardman Tower, where I managed to snag a room for only $159 per night, is a real treat. The tower is connected to the rest of the hotel by a sun-drenched corridor filled with comfy chairs, potted palms and what I’m guessing is historically accurate floral carpeting. (The tower is probably a not good place to stay if you hate walking; you might need a sherpa to find your room the first night.) My room was large and beautiful with a walk-in closet. Great view of the city. Water pressure like a fire hose. Real windows that open. Friendly front desk. Metro station right across the street, easy walk to the National Zoo and the Adams Morgan neighborhood. Only downside is that there isn’t a ton of counter space in the bathroom.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
New Haven
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

I was more than shocked upon arriving at the registration desk on Saturday, November 6. I had made my reservation three months in advance. I had requested and was promised a room in the Towers. Upon speaking to the clerk, he said to me, "we do not have a room for you. We are overbooked." I replied "You must be joking as I made my reservation over three months ago. Furthermore, you have my email address and you never contacted me at any time, telling me that you were overbooked. You left me no option but to come to this desk and be told "Too bad, we are sorry, we have no rooms." The fact that you offered me another hotel, and would pay for it, was of little consolation. It was 6 miles away, and all of my colleagues and meetings were at the Marriott. It is a sad day that a hotel chain that prides itself on friendliness and professionalism has fallen so far and perhaps so fast."

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

This hotel routinely overbooks and has no qualms about cancelling your reservation without notification. Front desk manager was arrogant and obnoxious despite their obvious error of booking more rooms than they had available. Prices are inflated. Food is poor. I've stayed in Marriotts for 51 days this year all over the US and this is by far the worst. Yes, it's large and wealthy and has massive facilities. Too bad they lost touch with what it means to provide basic customer service. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

As a meeting planner, I am accustomed to working with hotels of all sizes. This hotel is a great option for a large convention as it has about 1300 hotel rooms and numerous breakout rooms, ballrooms and exhibit spaces. It also has several dedicated registration areas for registration staff.

Pros: Excellent Location in DC and near the metro, lots of rooms, classy common areas, lots of eatery options

Cons: Housekeeping staff is slow, some of the older meeting rooms are very rundown and unattractive with poor lighting, excessive package hold charges

Upon check in, I was placed on the Club Level of the hotel since I am a Marriott Elite. The room was a standard room though I was happy to have a decent view of the city and a refridgerator. I feel like the rooms are in need of renovations. My bed wasn't particularly comfortable but it met its mission.

I am currently on the second day of my stay and I don't feel like housekeeping has made a real effort to properly clean my room. Sure, the towels were replaced but my trash wasn't emptied and they didn't even bother to put the Euro pillows back on the bed after cleaning it.

Overall, I would stay here again because of its location but that would be the ONLY reason I would stay.

Albuquerque
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

I recently attended a conference at this hotel and stayed for 3 nights. Overall, I enjoyed my stay, but the service was very inconsistent and if I had been paying to stay there myself, I probably would have felt much less satisfied.

As others have commented, the staff seems totally indifferent to you from the minute you arrive. My colleague and I took a cab from the airport and the valets and doormen didn't even acknowledge us. Finally another gentleman who was a considerable distance away from our cab came over to greet us and ask if we needed help. Later, I found the restaurant and room service staff to be very friendly and attentive. Not sure why the service aspect of this hotel is so inconsistent.

When we went to check in, I was completely ignored in the Marriott Rewards line too - even though there was no one ahead of me. Finally, a desk person asked if I needed help and while I had requested a non-smoking King, she said they had a much nicer double that she wanted to offer me because I am a rewards member.

My room was in the older, historic section of the hotel. It was very spacious with large windows and a huge walk-in closet. The flat screen tv had video inputs if you wanted to use your computer to stream video and even though I had to pay for wireless, I had no connection problems and it was very fast. There was a small refrigerator that I used to store water and snacks (the prices to eat inside the hotel are pretty steep). My room was very quiet and while the bed was sort of small and the blanket pretty thin, it was comfortable and I slept well.

On the down side, the furniture and carpet was sort of shabby and because the heating system hasn't been updated, the bathroom was really cold. The lobby in the older section appears to be completely unheated. There was no way to use the space and even walking through it to get to the newer section was very uncomfortable.

The location is absolutely terrific. The metro station is right outside the older section and there are lots of great places to eat nearby.

Truthfully, I think there are other great places to stay in DC and this property is probably best suited for large conference attendees. I have enjoyed staying at the Renaissance Mayflower and the Westin on M Street must better.

Boulder, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

I have to agree with both Xtra_33 and whitfieldr here - this hotel tries to be a luxury destination, and fails miserably.

The location and the grounds are the best part. It is just off the Metro stop for Adams Morgan, a short walk to the zoo, and a short metro ride downtown. The grounds are beautiful and remind me of an Ivy League school. The surrounding restaurants are very diverse, and I was quite happy with every one that I tried.

Now to the actual hotel. My colleague recently had a baby, so she called the hotel beforehand to request a room with a refrigerator so she could store milk. The person she talked to told her they had no record of her reservation, so she could not help. When she gave the employee her reservation number, she was told "Oh. Yeah, we do have that reservation. All the rooms have a fridge." Would it have been that hard to just say that in the first place?!

Moving on. When we checked in, the hotel has "complimentary fruit infused water" for guests in the lobby. I thought that was a nice touch. Too bad no one at the hotel can be bothered to actually stock the water, or any cups.

My oddly shaped room was right next to the ice machine - but not many people went and got ice so it wasn't that big of a deal. I could literally hear the converstions of all my surrounding neighbors, and they weren't yelling or being inappropriate. The were just talking normally. There is NO blanket on the bed. NONE! Not even a stashed blanket in the closet.

I requested my sheets and towels be changed halfway through my trip. They were changed to DIRTY, STAINED sheets, and dirty, stained towels with holes. The drain in my shower was also halfway pulled out of the stopper.

One of the phones in my room was pulled from another room, and didn't accept incomming calls because it wasn't set up correctly.

None of the food service staff even spoke English. We sponsored a coffee event one day, and the staff member literally came by with 12 coffee mugs, 4 gallons of coffee and dissapeared. 12 coffee mugs for 4 gallons of coffee?! He couldn't even be bothered to bring sugar for the coffee. When we finally did track him down for more mugs, he gave us severe attitude that we were making him do his job.

The last part that bothered me was the fact that there is only one sidewalk to walk up to the hotel. If you are going to have a hotel in such a central location, and not offer any restaurants or ammenities, why not have 2 sidewalks? During conferences, the sidewalk is so packed that people are just walking in the middle of the street, trying not to get hit by busses. Why wouldn't they have thought of the walkability aspect at all?

I can't say that I have ever been thrilled with the Marriott hotel chain as a whole. But this one was particularly awful. The great location will never make up for the terrible service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business