“Great Conference Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel

You added Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel to your Saves list
Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2660 Woodley Road, NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
BOOK OUR ZOO PACKAGE
Ranked #99 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Seattle
“Great Conference Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

I spent 3 nights at the Wardman Park hotel for a conference. I originally asked to be in the Wardman Tower, but the room, although charming, didn't have sufficient air conditioning. I switched to the 3rd floor of the Park Tower, but the street noise was really annoying. The hotel staff was extremely accommodating, especially since there were 1300+ coming in for the conference.

Ultimately (like Goldilocks), I settled in a room on the 9th floor of the Park Tower. It was clean and comfortable and had all of the amenities usually found in large Marriott hotels.

The Stone's Throw restaurant was great and the service was very good.

Great location - just 1/2 block to the Metro and close to Adams-Morgan ethnic restaurants.

All in all a very good experience and I look forward to returning next year for the same conference.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

My partner and I stayed here for a birthday celebration weekend--we scored the hotel on priceline.com for $65/night. Awesome, but add on the $12.95 plus tax/day internet and $30+/day parking garage fee and not so amazing, but still a decent deal. The hotel overall served its purpose and I'd probably stay again if offered at such deep discount again.

The pros:
Location--a 3 minute walk to the metro and 5-10 minute walk to the National Zoo as well as numerous restaurants nearby to choose from.
Outdoor Pool--though we didn't use it, it looked clean and was open until 11pm with lifeguard.
Cleanliness--no complaints here, stayed in the newer section.

Cons:
$12.95/day + tax internet, boo.
$30+/day for self parking in the garage.
The shower head was mounted at about a 5' level, not cool for a 5'11 person.
There was a cabinet for a fridge, but did not contain one.
The slamming of the room doors in the wee hours of the morning by other guests and housekeepers--could use better insulation of the walls.
Being woken in the wee hours of the morning (this was a weekend) by said doors and by housekeeping knocking on our door and entering our room while we were still in bed sleeping.
Non-digital cable (analog) on the beautiful flat screen TV.

All in all, I value price, location, and cleanliness the most when choosing accommodations, so I'd probably stay here again based on that, but like I said, I would never pay retail price for this place!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

I got this through Priceline and was very happy at $65. The hotel foyer is stadium sized and has two bars plus conference facilities. My room was in the new block and I thought quite spacious. The staff were helpful. Internet is $14 per 24 hours.

The Metro is right at the end of the hotel drive. There are about a dozen restuarants within five minutes walk.

Every room has a safe which can take a laptop. The only thing missing was a fridge.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

The Mariott Wardman Hotel. It's conveniently located right across the street from the Wardman Park / Zoo Metro stop (and up a hill). Our room was in the "Wardman Tower", which is kind of a huge tower connected to the main building by a long corridor. It appears to me to have once been a separate hotel. The rooms in the tower are, we were told, larger than the rooms in the main part of the hotel, and indeed, our room was notably large. We had two closets (one of which was giant), a sizeable bedroom with two full-size beds, coffeemaker, hair dryer, and a mini-fridge (no microwave oven).

The first problem I noticed with the room was the scarcity of hot water. The room does get hot water after a while, but during the afternoon or evening, you have to let the water run for quite a long time (five minutes or more?). I assume this is because the tower is relatively unoccupied.

Entry from the Wardman Park metro the tower is through the main lobby, which is a bit of a detour and quite a hike from the room. It is kind of awkward to go back from the lobby or the restaurant to the room to get something, and especially awkward when returning to the room from the pool. The trip from the pool to the room requires one to go through the lobby, dripping wet in bathing suit. There is another, "shortcut" route through a door in the long corridor, but it was locked on weekend evenings we were there.

The Wardman Tower apparently has no internet whatsoever, which is really annoying. Supposedly there is a wired connection, but we could not get it to work. There is no wireless in the tower, but there is wireless in the hotel lobby. Normally, having Internet only in the lobby is not much of an inconvenience, except because of the layout of the Mariott, there is a huge long walk from the Wardman Tower, as I explained earlier. The Wireless connection in the lobby is not free, either, which adds insult to injury at the rate of $12/day.

The pool in the hotel is large and clean, although as I say it's a bit inconvenient to get to from the Wardman Tower part of the hotel. There are lifeguards on duty, and they are present and available, and are very good at policing the unruly kids (the pool can get very crowded with families) as well as check the chemicals in the water and such. The pool is lit and open till 11pm, which is nice for evening swims.

The breakfast in the hotel is very good, we had the buffet which has lots of variety and a good selection of fruits, fresh omelettes and waffles made-to-order, pancakes, french toast, a generous amount of fresh fruit, yogurt, really a first-rate buffet.

One more positive aspect of the hotel is its proximity to various restaurants, including Indian, Italian, Thai, Chinese, a Baskin Robbins, a nice spot called Open City, and a Chipolte just a block away. Also nearby are a Bank of America, a CVS, a McDonalds, and a laundry.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

I was very impressed with the service I received at the Marriott Wardman Park. Before I even arrived there, I spoke on the phone twice with various front desk employees who were accommodating and helpful and not at all annoyed by my questions and requests; they even helped me figure out a better nightly rate that bettered the conference rate I'd been offered and even came with a free breakfast buffet! When we checked in and arrived at our room, it contained the rollaway bed and refrigerator I'd requested. We were put in the Tower section of the hotel, which was further away but featured larger rooms. The room was enormous! There was plenty of room for my family of four to spread out.

I indicated the purpose of my trip was business; it was, as I was attending a conference at the hotel. However, I traveled with my family so my kids could see the monuments and the zoo.

The outdoor heated pool was a favorite of my kids. They have a lifeguard, which is very nice. Since the pool gets so much use (it was very crowded when we were there), it's nice to have a staff member there to negotiate disputes and ensure everyone is behaving correctly. Sometimes the offender was my 6 year old son. Oops. :(

Cleanliness: I do believe this was the cleanest hotel I have ever been in. A few examples: one day I was walking back to my room to get something, and I noticed the staff dusting the leaves on the ornamental plants. I thought that was cool. :)
Another example: my son has serious dust mite allergies, and we travel with lots of asthma meds to help him deal when we travel. Most hotels make him asthmatic and sniffly and wake up coughing. At the Marriott Wardman Park, he didn't need meds until his last night (of 4) that we were there, and then the more likely reason for his asthma attack was the Bike the Sites ride we had done in 80+/humid weather, not dust mites.

OK, the downsides: I am an internet junkie. So many people are. So why doesn't this hotel have wireless in the rooms? We had a problem with our laptop in that it wouldn't connect via the Ethernet cable (probably a hardware problem on our end), but we bring that laptop because it is our beat-up one and we figure everywhere has wifi these days. Not this hotel! Furthermore, the internet connection was not free. So, we were paying $12.95 to bring our laptop to the lobby.

This also became an issue at the conference I attended. I am not sure if any of the presenters needed internet, but I can tell you that the only internet I could find was the wifi connection I'd paid for. These days, especially in education (my field), conference attendees need their internet!

Were my husband here, he would complain about the long walk from the Tower rooms to the lobby. I didn't hate it, but I admit it was a bit much after a long day. When you go up up up those escalators at the Metro and then trudge up the long walkway to the bus entrance of the hotel, then you have to walk all the way to the other end of the hotel? That was not fun.

I'll also say that the water in the bathroom was slow to heat up. I had the shower running a somewhat long time before it got hot. Once hot, it stayed nicely hot. We also found our toilet to be a bit sluggish. It finally gave up the ghost, so I called the front desk, and they sent someone to help. He did, and it was a little better, but I think the toilet/water pressure just isn't very strong there.

All in all, if you're looking for clean rooms and great service, this is definitely the hotel for you. Maybe you don't care so much about the internet--then it's even more so for you! It's also beautifully landscaped and close to the Zoo. We had a great stay here!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Bellevue, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

Over Memorial weekend, we stayed at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park. Overall the hotel was fairly clean, recently updated and was extremely easy to get to. The location is right next to the Wooley Park metro station. The room was recently renovated, and upon first glance the hotel room looked very clean. However upon further inspection, I noticed stray hairs in the bathtub and under the sink. I was disappointed when I opened a cabinet door that looked like it would contain a refrigerator and there was just a giant cabinet. The room did have a 32 inch flat screen TV…definitely not HD. Although, the Marriott website advertises that all rooms have HBO, this channel did not come through on our TV.

My biggest surprise was how many families were staying at the hotel (maybe due to the proximity to the zoo). I would highly recommend that the Marriott put families and business travelers on different floors, as families tend to be noisier and be awake at different hours than business travelers. A screaming child in the hallway disturbed our slumber at a ridiculously early hour two days in a row.

At then end of the trip, I would say there was nothing to big to complain about and nothing so great to write home about.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Pasadena, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I stayed here for a conference and they booked me on the old side of the hotel in one of the larger rooms. If you get one of these rooms you will be VERY happy! If you do not, then you will likely be rather unhappy. The room I had was on a high floor and was probably 1500 square feet with its own dining table for 8 in it. It was actually composed of two large rooms and a smaller adjoining breakfast room as well. The floor was wood covered by carpet, because I could hear it squeak, which I thought was interesting. The room had a lot of such character to it, which you would not realize when standing in the cavernous lobby. It also had a nice view of greenery which was, I think, Rock Creek Park. I saw some of the more modern rooms and they looked very small and generic in comparison. The old wing of the hotel was very quiet and nicely furnished, whereas the new portion of the hotel was more of a typical conference hotel. I would definitely ask to stay in the older rooms.

The hotel has a Starbucks in it, which was nice to have in the mornings, and the food served in the hotel was decent and priced appropriately. There is also a brew pub, which was worth grabbing a beer at during the evening although I cannot recall any special brews on tap. The hotel itself is located in a really nice area near a lot of places to grab lunch and do some limited shopping, too.

Location is convenient to the Metro (there is a stop right outside the hotel) and near the National Cathedral and the Zoo. Price was unbeatable when I stayed and so it represented an extremely good value. The only real unexpected expense was parking. It cost almost the same whether you valet park or park yourself (around $20-25) so I always used the valet. Sometimes they were really slow to bring my car back to me.

I had read so many spotty reviews of this hotel and thought my experience would be poor, but my room was lovely. The biggest mistake I made was not staying longer and instead moving over to the more plush Hay Adams Hotel closer to the Mall. We wanted to be "closer in" and was concerned about some of the poor reviews for this hotel, which in my experience were unfounded. I spent a good deal more money at the Hay Adams for a room that was probably 1/4 the size and it was actually easier to get to the Mall from this Marriott (using the Metro) than it was walking from the Hay Adams, which is quite a walk to the nearest Metro (or to the Mall itself). I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business

Been to Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel? Share your experiences!