“Nice hotel, friendly staff, paid internet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel to your Saves list
Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2660 Woodley Road, NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #93 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Richmond, VA
“Nice hotel, friendly staff, paid internet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

The hotel is very clean and in a nice area with lots of restaurants within walking distance as well as the national zoo. Rooms are standard but comfortable. The staff are really great and accommodating. If they would step into the current times and open the internet I would rate higher. At this point in time internet should be standard, not $15 a day, what is this the Ritz where people want to be ripped off?

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

This hotel is beautiful. The outside is amazing, I sat in the garden more than I did inside. The parking deck is clean and well lit so it appears safe. The lobby is very nice and adds a wow factor. The room was a basic full service room... a room with a bed and bathroom. For the most part it was nice and pretty clean.
The Location is amazing!! This hotel is only a few minute walk from the zoo and a load of restaurants. It's also super helpful to have the metro station literally outside the front door.

Westport, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

When I arrived here, I was told that this was the biggest hotel in Washington DC. It certainly feels big, but bigger isn't necessarily better. And, in this case, that is pretty much what it all amounts to. Another reviewer called this a "convention" hotel. That is very accurate. It's huge with a great many meeting rooms of all sizes and multiple towers to accommodate a large number of guests. The week I was there it was unseasonably mild for DC in the summer, mid 70's at best. The hotel air conditioning didn't get the memo. It was FREEZING inside the meeting rooms and in the mini lobby outside of the elevators on the 4th floor where my room was located, it had to have been under 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm talking down jacket cold! My room was neat, smallish, with a view of a rooftop. The bathroom was tiny. The bed was the best thing about the hotel. Pillows were top notch and the mattress just perfect. I would have slept well if not for the teenagers in the hall until all hours making noise. There were teenagers all over the hotel almost every night I was there (for a week). Due to the size of the hotel, teen groups tend to favor staying here apparently. Not a big attraction if you are seeking quiet at night.

The staff was courteous but didn't go out of their way to be either friendly or helpful. They lacked that signature Marriott "eagerness" to please. No one seemed to care if I was having a good stay or not. The food was absolutely horrible. Several restaurants on premises, all serving essentially the same mediocre food. Our internally catered lunches and dinners were near inedible. If I was a college freshman, the food would have been OK, I guess, but I'm a businessman and after a long day of lectures and work I want something a little more enjoyable than food court quality offerings. Even breakfast was decidedly unremarkable. What happened to the fresh baked muffins that Marriott used to be known for?

Overall the physical plant had a tired feeling to it as well. The front entrance is adjacent to what is essentially a construction zone. Loud, banging and dirty with trucks and lots of construction and equipment. No attempt was made to hide this or otherwise make it look nice during this construction, which appears to be a singificantly long term project. It's just an additional demerit on an already mediocre report card for this hotel. With so many spectacular hotels in DC, it's amazing to me that anyone comes here. While they do have the space to accommodate large groups, clearly they are not making much of an effort to offer anything more than that space and an over abundance of unwanted air conditioning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear justwarren,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. Our goal at Wardman Park is to exceed all of our customer's expectations and I am sorry that your stay was less than perfect and the property and service fell short of your expectations. I have shared your review with the appropriate departments and will be sure to personally address your concerns with the leadership in those areas. I would certainly like to discuss your concern directly. If possible and at your convenience please contact me at 202.328.2000.

Regards,
Jim Redington
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I recently stayed here with my husband for his fraternity's centennial celebration. The hotel was large and very accommodating. The rooms are nice and each room comes has a refrigerator, which was very good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Milano, Italia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The Marriott Wardman is a very dependable hotel in D.C.. I have stayed multiple times and have never had to complain about anything. Great facilities for conventions, but not only. Comprehensive services by professional staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Loved this hotel, and if only there were a pool, it would be perfect! Super nice! Fast food or fine cuisine all within walking distance. National zoo is only a 10 minute walk. The rooms are very comfortable and stylish. The variety of restaurants in the hotel make it so that you don't even have to leave if you don't want to. Front desk was eager to accommodate any request. I will definitely stay here again if I ever have the chance!

• Stayed June 2014
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I was recently at the Marriott Wardman Park for a conference and definitely had some very positive experiences and some negative. In looking at the areas of concern first: I will start with the bathroom. I stayed in a king bed room and although the bathroom design best utilized the space with a space saver sink and wall shelving the shower needs work. I am only 5'3" tall and the shower head hit me at the top of the neck. I cannot imagine anyone over 5'6" being able to adequately shower in there. There was also some indication of some possible water damage on the ceiling of the shower. The only towel rack was in the shower! I was staying by myself but wondered how if my husband had traveled with me we would have dried two bath towels without hanging them over the shower curtain rod. My other concern were the conference rooms themselves. The rooms were well tended and very clean. However, they were freezing! Luckily I had read other reviews and brought sweaters (in July) for all of my outfits. The Lincoln rooms which are on the lowest level were especially cold.
On the positives, the hotel common areas were very neat, clean and well staffed. The hotel is difficult to navigate and there were staff at every juncture to assist you in finding where you wanted to go. I was especially impressed with one particular female staff member who was especially chipper and welcomed each of us every morning with greetings and directions. The food was quite good and the food at the pub was beautifully presented. Our conference also had the continental breakfasts catered by the hotel in the mornings which were very well done. The food was kept warm when appropriate with adequate amount for all 2000 attendees. The crustless quiches were a welcome surprise for what was billed as a continental breakfast and the fruit was all very fresh. The hotel fitness area was well maintained and had nice equipment. I was able to get my workout in for 3 consecutive days and had to wait for cardio equipment only once. I have traveled to several other conferences over the years and the audio/visual equipment usually has difficulties. I was impressed with the amount of rooms we utilized and audio/visual resources that I never saw difficulty in any presentation.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a future conference. It was large enough for a large group and in a nice area of town with local restaurants easily accessible and close to the metro. I would recommend that Marriott look into the shower heads in the bathrooms and the temperatures in the conference rooms though.

Room Tip: The hotel is currently undergoing construction but they do not seem to work late or too very early i...