“Nice location, but odd layout” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel

You added Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel to your Saves list
Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2660 Woodley Road, NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #97 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Maumelle
“Nice location, but odd layout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Recently I traveled to D.C. with my husband on business. The hotel booked for us was Marriott Wardman Park. The building seems to be an old one linked to a newer building, so this spacious hotel has a very odd layout. To get to the room we had been given, we had to walk through several lobby areas and down a long hall to the only elevator that accessed our floor. Our king room was very nice, but small with a very small bathroom. It had a safe and a little frig which helped a lot! And the location of the hotel was awesome! It was 2 or 3 blocks to the zoo where we enjoyed the Christmas Zoo Lights for free. And the Metro stop was around the corner from the hotel entrance. Several really good restaurants and a McDonalds were all within easy walk.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stayed one night here at this very impressive looking hotel from outside. Aside from being
extremely large and confusing hotel, it was shared with a mass of humanity for some
business weekend. For $300 plus a night, our room was tired. Bathroom was small with
no exhaust fan when showering. Poor drainage and beds were not up to Marriott standards.
Very disappointing for a Marriott property. If your not with large business group...stay somewhere
else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jim R, Resident Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear brooklyn48,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. Our goal at Wardman Park is to exceed all of our customer's expectations and I am sorry that your stay was less than perfect. We are the largest convention hotel in Washington, DC and I do apologize that we did not to a better job personalizing your stay. I am also sorry to read about the cleanliness issues in your guest room. I have shared your review with the appropriate departments and will be sure to personally address your concerns with the leadership in the housekeeping areas.

Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Enjoyed a quick overnight at the Marriott Wardman Park back in September. This was not the first time we've stayed here. Overall stay was fine as usual. The hotel is HUGE, the rooms are not but they are suitable for the area. The corridors are starting to stThe pub in the hotel is very nice and the service was wonderful. Our only complaint was the large (100+) group of young students who were running through the lobby area at 11pm. My guess is the hotel thought it best to have them running around the lobby versus room corridors but it was still a bit dysfunctional.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

The Hotel is located in a very nice neighborhood near the National Zoo and next the Metro. The hotel itself is nice, but overwhelmingly large. My room was comfortable and quiet with a nice view of the city. My sense is that this hotel is largely for conference attendees in that you have everything you need under one roof…..restaurants, gym etc. You could conceivably stay for days and not need to leave the premises. For the individual traveler it's a bit huge. But still a nice place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Just got back from a conference and was not very impressed. I have stayed at many Marriots, but this has to be the most uncomfortable nights sleep ever at a Marriot! The beds were hard as a rock! The pillows were high and hard. When I woke up I had a neck ache. My co- worker had the same problem. Needless to say I was very disappointed. The worst part was it was 300 a night for a terrible stay.

Dear tlccorkmaster,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. Our goal at Wardman Park is to exceed all of our customer's expectations and I am sorry that your stay was less than perfect. I am sorry to read that you did not get a good night rest due to the quality of the bed in the room you occupied. If possible could you contact me at 202.328.2000 to discuss your stay in further detail.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed here for one night and that was more than enough. The bathtub had multiple stray hairs all over it, including a particularly nasty-looking one on the soap dish. The shower curtain was torn in several places, and the hair dryer looked like it hadn't been cleaned *ever*. There was a problem with the door to the room shutting all the way, and in the morning there was a lot of noise in the alley over which my room's windows faced. The walls were also very thin so I could hear conversations in the hall.

On the positive side (for me, because I had a lot of luggage), I was able to park in the parking garage near my hotel room so I was close to my car. The garage was literally on the other side of the hall outside my room. Had there been a door to the garage directly in front of my room, I would have been 10 feet from my car. The reason that this was possible was because I was given a room in the hotel's "Park Tower", and those rooms are underground (the hotel was built on a hill so one side is underground and the other side overlooks an alley).

However, if you are not driving and you don't need to park (or if you don't care about being near your car), I would absolutely avoid the "Park Tower" wing of the hotel. I can't help but think the term "Park Tower" itself is a cruel joke on the hotel's guests, who think they will be sleeping in a room on a high floor overlooking a tranquil garden, when in actuality they will be sleeping in an underground room attached to a parking garage on one side and overlooking a noisy alley on the other.

Dear Sarah7038,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Washington, DC Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. Our goal at Wardman Park is to exceed all of our customer's expectations and I am sorry that your stay was less than perfect. Given the number of your concerns I would like to discuss these matters directly. If you are willing to do so and have the time, your additional feedback will be extremely valuable in providing our future guests a problem free stay. I can be reached at 202.328.2000.

Santa Clarita
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I am a frequent visitor to the Wardman Park Marriott for business and up until this most recent stay have never experienced a problem at all. In fact, the Wardman Park Marriott has been one of my preferred options in DC. I stayed as recently as July of 2012 so the dramatic deterioration of the property caught me highly off-guard.

My experience prior to check in was excellent as I was attending a conference and knew the hotel would be at capacity so I called to see what type of room might be available based on my elite status. I was upgraded to an executive suite and very appreciate for that. I realize that upgrades are never guaranteed and I may sound a bit ungrateful based on the following complaints, but I feel that I spend enough nights in a Marriott each year to be able to make a fair judgment.

The suite I was given was on the 2nd floor so that was the first "uh-oh" in my book. I have a stated preference for high floors, but give the upgrade I was okay with it. The room itself was large and impressive, however, upon closer look the furnishings were worn and a complete mish-mash of items with no consistency. It looked like the most worn items were replaced with less worn items from different rooms. Still, that's not a complete deal breaker. The real problem was the suite being adjacent to the elevators and with this being the largest hotel in DC the never-ending noise of elevators going up and down in their shafts made sleep problematic. I was informed that there was no availability to change rooms that evening, but to check back the following morning. So I did check back and was given the option to take a junior suite away from the elevators. I was happy to downgrade if it meant a quieter room (and I was thinking a higher floor). So I moved rooms and ended up staying on the second floor. There was no longer elevator noise, but the room as in awful condition. Paint was peeling off of the walls, furniture was chipped and cracked, shiny surfaces had spots all over them, and even the box containing coffee/tea items had its lid broken off. Frankly, I was surprised this is a room Marriott would put a platinum guest in. To top it off, the room next door was filled with obnoxious guests speaking so loudly that I could hear every word of their conversation. And this room was as close as possible to a major construction site on the hotel property. So to put a noise sensitive guest in a room adjacent to a construction site after moving from a room with elevator noise struck me as odd.

I went back to the front desk and spoke with the front desk manager. He apologized for the entire experience, but indicated room-wise that I was stuck there unless I wanted to downgrade yet again to a standard room. To his credit, he had security take care of the noisy guests next door and did offer me some rewards points for my trouble.

At the end of the day, I stay at many large conference hotels and have not seen one in as poor condition as the Wardman Park. Yes, it takes more work and costs more money to keep such a busy hotel in top physical shape, but it's also money well spent as I can't imagine returning until the hotel goes through a major room renovation.

I realize I've spent a long time on this review, but wanted to share my experience. As you can see from many of my prior reviews, I typically am not so critical, but this was a very disappointing stay at a hotel that had previously been high on my list.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business