“Suprised by Bad Reviews” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel

You added Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel to your Saves list
Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2660 Woodley Road, NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
BOOK OUR ZOO PACKAGE
Ranked #99 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
West Virginia
“Suprised by Bad Reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

My wife and I stayed here with our 20 month old son and 8 year old niece. I'm pretty picky because it's very tough with our child to find a place that we're comfortable in. I booked this room based on the zoo's website and got the "panda package." Didn't do much good at the zoo but my kid got a free stuffed animal and they let me upgrade our room to a suite that was very nice. It was pricey but nice. If you want to go the zoo and can afford it, you must stay here. It literally took us with a lazy 8 year old and a toddler about 20 minutes to walk there. It could easily be done in 10 minutes. The metro station is directly behind the hotel about a 200 feet walk down a slight incline. There are a ton of ethnic restaurants on the same street by the metro station. There is also a restaurant called "Open City" right next to it which we liked. The FREE (with the panda package) large breakfast was great and probably saved us $40/ day. Huge selection with made to order omelets, waffles, hot food, huge lox section. We thought it was great.

Stayed May 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
South
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008

I stayed here for a conference and it was a nice place at the discounted conference rate ($125/night) but the more than $300 that they want as a regular thing would have been much too expensive. I was given a room in the old part of the hotel. This was both good and bad. The bathroom that so many people have complained about was actually quite large, larger than the one in my apartment, and had an enormous window overlooking the flower garden. The room itself was very comfortable. The hotel advertises bottled water and a robe in the room and in 5 days I didn't get either. A colleague who had a room in the newer part got both of those things but had the tiny bathroom so I guess I probably had the better deal. I could get bottled water for $1.49 a gallon at the market across the street though the refrigerator didn't really keep it cold. The old part of the hotel is down a long hall from the main lobby and meeting rooms so I had an extra long walk each day. The old part of the building also overlooked the sidewalk where the people protesting the Democratic Rules Committee meeting started shouting and blowing whistles at 8:30 am and also overlooks, as I mentioned, the flower garden where it seems that people like to sit and drink and be loud late at night. I agree with the people who say that for the price they should provide free internet access in the rooms. Rodeway Inn does it in their $40/night rooms. Surely this place could too. As another reviewer mentioned, there is a subway stop right outside the hotel but you have to climb a steep hill to get from the subway to the hotel which is kind of a pain when dragging a heavy suitcase after taking a bus and two trains to get there from BWI. All the public areas and meeting rooms were far too cold. It was only in the low 80s outside. We really didn't need Artic air conditioning. Don't bother eating at the hotel. They are very overpriced and there are lots and lots of restaurants from pizza and sandwiches to Italian, Indian, Lebaneese, Mexican, Baskin Robbins, Afgan, Thai, and Chineese within a block and half. Don't even think about using room service unless you have money to throw away. I looked at the menu and it was possible to spend over $30 on breakfast if you include the "tax, $4 fee and 22% service charge" (which if you didn't notice this in the fine print you might give the waiter an additional tip.) On the whole, it was a positive experience and I would probably stay there again for $125/night but not for $350/night.

• Liked — Clean, relatively quiet, comfortable furniture
  • Disliked — Common areas too cold, kind of pricey, no free internet in room, TV was kind of weird
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

I attended a conference at this hotel and having never stayed there before wasn't sure what to expect. I came away very impressed and would definitely come back again. Hotel is located NW of DCs main attractions, but there is a Metro stop right in front of the hotel for easy access to the sites (see below for more detail).

Staff were courteous upon arrival from the front door through check-in which took about 2 minutes. The hotel is pretty big with a huge lobby and then offshoots to multiple bars and restaurants of all kind. Rooms were nice size with a flat screen, good pillows and comforters. Bathroom was oddly small, but staying only 2 days it was no problem and since the property looks relatively new all the fixtures looked good so we got used to the small bathroom. No free internet which was disappointing - either in the rooms or on the lobby PCs--credit cards only.

Being here for a conf., I didn't have a chance to check out the gym, but my wife commented it was very nicely sized. As for location, ideal for the Metro which is literally right in front of the hotel less than a block away. There is also an Enterprise office right in the hotel too if you need a car. Cab from Reagan National to the hotel was about $20 and took 15 minutes or less. The Metro was great to drop us by all the sites in DC with no trouble -- clean and there were Metro staff around to answer questions when we bought our subway cards. Tip, each person must buy their own card--you can't use one (like we do here in Chicago) for multiple people to use.

As for food near the hotel--a quick 5 minute walk and we found a McD's and 1/2 a dozen small restaurants featuring Indian, Thai, Italian and American--many with outdoor tables and chairs to enjoy the beautiful spring weather.

Attractions near the hotel include Embassy Row, Zoo, huge National Zoological Park and the Naval Observatory.

Will deinfitely go back on a future DC visit.

• Liked — location in a nice community vs city
  • Disliked — no free internet
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

Recently stayed at the Marriott Wardman Park. The hotel is in a great area of DC. It is very close to the Metro and the National Zoo is 1/3 of a mile away. The rooms appear to have been recently renovated with new linens and a LCD television. On the whole, the room was very nice. The only negative with this hotel is the size of the bathroom, it is very narrow. When I visit DC in the future I will definitely consider staying at this hotel again.

• Liked — location
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia Beach, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

Price of course must be considered in relation to Washington DC, which is generically expensive. Recent stay for a professional meeting, met most of my criteria for a good stay-clean, quiet, good gym. Marriott’s wired internet worked well and the $9.95 fee included free long-distance, invaluable since both my co-presenters had out-of-state cell phones. Room refrigerator a nice touch & Starbucks as well as small market less costly than restaurants or room service. Only real objection-the hotel does not cater to self-parkers such as myself who wished to save on valet parking fees (if one can call $31.96/day for self-parking an economy). Access to main hotel from a cavernous garage is via a freight elevator and long corridor with rather aged furniture. Real problem-no ramp to get to elevators, necessitating dragging my 50 Pound suitcase up a short flight of stairs. Also, was told I’d be called on cell phone when room ready, never happened. Big, busy place but overall a good stay.

• Liked — clean & quiet, good gym & internet
  • Disliked — parking
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

My husband and I had a wedding (and related festivities) in DC this past weekend. It was really important that we be comfortable, and well taken care of, because we were integral members of the wedding party and therefore expected a stressful weekend. We booked one night with my upgraded points (cost: $62.50), and the second night we got a sale price from a Marriott e-mail (cost: $164.00). When I called, I told them I needed early check-in, and that it was very important that we get in as early as possible after we arrived in town, because we had a rehearsal dinner to get ready for.

We got in around 11:30 AM. We went to the front desk and told them we were there. I mentioned that I had read some disturbing reviews on TripAdvisor about the size of their bathrooms -- that some were so small that the door had to be shut in order to get into the shower. I asked them to _please_ not give us a room that had one of the small bathrooms. The clerk said okay, but they couldn't put us in a room now. And they couldn't upgrade us. But she assured us that she could get us into a room by early afternoon. I left my husband doing work in the hotel lobby, and went off to an appointment with the bride. I got back to the hotel at 3:15 PM -- which is ordinary check-in time
(check-in starts at 3)...and found that my husband was _still_ sitting in the lobby. I was very angry, and we went up to the front desk. I reminded them that I'd asked for early check-in, and it was now _late_ check-in. The same clerk who helped us four hours earlier told us that the delay was because I requested a bigger bathroom. I reminded her that she told me "early afternoon," and she kept denying that she'd said that. Eventually, a manager came over and we explained the situation to him. He was unmoved, and sided with the clerk (figuring that our "special" request -- for a bathroom fit for human beings of average size -- is what caused the delay). I told him I was very angry, I was a Silver Elite Marriott member, and what was he going to do to make me happy? He offered to give us concierge privileges. This was Friday afternoon, so I asked him if the concierge lounge was even open on weekends. He said, "Yes, the concierge lounge is open this weekend." Imagine my surprise when we were only able to get breakfast on Saturday -- the lounge closes on Saturday at noon and doesn't open again until Sunday at 5 PM, when we'd already have checked out.

Now we get to the room. I was pleased to see that it was very well appointed, brand new carpeting, pictures, widescreen flat screen tv, the nice new Marriott bedding, etc. An especially nice touch was two small LED book lights attached to the headboard, one for each of us.

At this point, we were in a rush to get ready for the (early) rehearsal dinner. I threw my shoes off and walked across the room...only to find the (brand new, very clean) carpet SOAKING WET in a spot. I'd seen the maids just a few doors down, so I quickly went out and asked them if something horrible had happened in our room. They assured me that it was only the air freshener they use. They must have spilled half a bottle of it out on our carpet...

The bathroom, which they assured me was their _largest_ style bathroom outside of a suite, was ridiculously small. We were in the central tower, their newest building. I'm astonished that anyone would build a hotel with bathrooms that small. This place normally goes for about $429 a night; it's just absolutely unacceptable that the bathrooms are this small.

Another minus, which is a Marriott-wide problem: free wireless in the lobbies, but not in the rooms. If you're paying $429 a night, you really ought to get free wireless. It's just stupid that someone can walk in off the street and have free wireless, but not a paying customer.

The walls are VERY thin. I am not a light sleeper -- but I had two terrible nights there thanks to the thin walls plus a convention of realtor legislators who were loud and kept late hours.

Whoever set up the brand new LG widescreen televisions didn't know what they were doing. They were set to a default of widescreen, which meant that EVERYTHING that you watched, whether it was a widescreen movie or a standard (4:3) television program, was stretched to widescreen. This was really disconcerting as most of what we watched while we were there was CNN and the Weather Channel. Everyone looked fat and out of proportion.

The smoke/fire alarm was placed weirdly. It was right over the head of the bed, which would have been fine if it was a standard residential smoke alarm, with a teeny little green light. It wasn't. It was a hotel 'safety' style model, with a pretty large and prominent light on it. I'm not sure why over the head of the bed was the chosen spot; if there were a fire in the room, you'd think you'd want the safety lights placed to illuminate your way out of the room -- something on the way to the door. In any case, if the noise caused by the thin walls hadn't kept me up, probably this light right over my face wouldn't have bothered me so much.

The fridge had a strange problem. Don't get me wrong; I was thrilled to _have_ a fridge, reading so many reviews of guests who _didn't_. But we turned the fridge on, put some sodas in it, and went to sleep. On Saturday morning, we opened up the cabinet containing the fridge...
and it was as hot as a wall oven set to "warm." Obviously no one put any kind of ventilation; they just put a cabinet in the alcove, and stuck a fridge inside it. The fridge compressor (or whatever it's called that makes it work) would heat up, the cabinet would contain the heat, making the fridge hot, and making the fridge have to work pretty hard to stay cool inside. I daresay that if we were there for a few more days, that fridge would have started a fire inside that cabinet!

And the final negative I have is about the hotel's "welcome to the hotel" courtesy call. When we got into the room late on Saturday afternoon, there was a blinking light, so we checked, and it was the front desk thanking us for being Silver Elite members and choosing Marriott. Great, fine. We deleted it. Then we went to the wedding on Saturday night, and we got back to the room around midnight...to see the message light blinking again. Worried that someone at home had died or worse, I quickly checked the message...and it was another, identical "welcome to the hotel" calls. Why would they need to do that on every day of my stay?

Positives are few and far between, but significant: the hotel was large, clean and comfortable (lobbies, concierge lounge, elevators, shops, etc.). The room was very nice looking, comfortable (except for the bathroom!) and definitely very clean. It's walking distance to the Metro, and the National Zoo, and a few really good restaurants right there on Connecticut Ave. (we didn't get to Lebanese Taverna this time, but Medeterra did not disappoint!). Most disappointing was the lack of good service with regard to early check in, the 'bait and switch' with regard to upgrading us to concierge privileges (ha!), and the Lilliputian bathroom.
<P>
A better choice if you're in DC is Marriott's new Renaissance downtown, by the Verizon Center. Since the wedding we were in town for was right across the zoo from us, we decided to try the Wardman Park, but next time we're in town, it'll be either the Renaissance or another chain entirely.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — Infinitesimally small bathroom
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

Well firstly its a very large hotel. Big enough to hold a conference that I was attending. The facilities were good. The room was a large room with a kitchenette. However very small bathroom and shower over the bath which is always a bit awkward. The problem was the terrible service. It took me 15 minutes to order some room service ice cream. The bell captain made me get my own luggage and generally the staff were uninterested in giving any level of service. If your traveling for business it may be okay, as long as you aren't expecting to be treated well.

Stayed May 2008

Been to Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel? Share your experiences!