“Great Place for a Convention” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel

You added Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel to your Saves list
Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2660 Woodley Road, NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #95 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
New York
“Great Place for a Convention”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was the second time we've stayed here for a convention. About a 20 minute ride from Regan airport. Rooms are spacious and clean, staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Lots of restaurants within walking distance, and the zoo is about a 10 minute walk away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
cfrieday1
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is a huge hotel. It's is the 2nd time I have stayed here. The first was about 8 years ago. That visit was very nice this visit not so good. The rooms were fine. We were in the newer section of the property. Front end staff was great. Maid service was minimal. Basically beds made and towels given. No wiping sinks counters etc. I expect more from a Marriott. However the worst was the attitude by many of the bar and restaurant workers. The lobby bar was terrible. I actually had a bar tender take my beverage order, Bring it to me and walk away before payment to confront a co-bar tender regarding him taking away one of his customers. I waited then asked for some one to take my money. When I placed the tip on the bar he grabbed it and walked away no thank you said. The reason we went to the bar in the first place was because the wait staff was to busy chatting with each other. Once they realized we went to bar they came to see if we needed anything. I asked them tp put the Masters on one of the tvs because they had it on at the bar. I was told the tv was different and had different cable service. When I mentioned the manager said it could be put on we were told it couldn't be done. We put it on ourselves. There were several other situations that followed the same pattern. We travel a great deal and really enjoy staying at Marriotts, however I expect more

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I am breaking my longstanding rule not to write a negative online review of a business without addressing the issue with its management because the problem with this hotel is its management.

I pre-paid for 3 nights through Hotwire. I arrived the first night at 10:30 pm having flown through bad turbulence across the country and wanted to check in quickly so I could get dinner and get to sleep. I knew something was wrong when the front desk clerk greeted me, then asked me to wait a minute, and went into the back room for several minutes. She came back out with someone else who told me that there was a maintenance issue with "several" rooms and that I was being bumped to another hotel. I have been bumped before (seems to be a common thing in Washington, DC) and I know it is due to overselling. The cherry blossoms were in full bloom, the city was filled with tourists, and even though this hotel has a billion rooms, they oversold and then bumped people who arrive late.

Since I was being bumped, I wanted to have all 3 nights at the other hotel so that I wouldn't have to pack/unpack and move around the next day and what would be the guarantee I wouldn't be bumped again due to their supposed maintenance problem. Since I pre-paid and they bumped me, they are the ones who broke a contract and should be open to discussing options. The front desk clerk got a manager who only seemed to know the word "no" and certainly didn't know the words "I'm sorry" and definitely did not know how to discuss options other than she was sending me somewhere else for the night and I had to come back the following night. Unsmiling, humorless, no sense of customer service, and no understanding that she is a manager at business that failed to deliver a service to someone who pre-paid for it.

Because of my frustration with her attitude, I unfortunately let out a word I shouldn't have said. You would think I threatened her life. She called all the women front desk clerks into the back room and next thing I knew, there were 3 security guards behind me and she brought out a male manager to communicate with me, but continued to stand next to him and aggravate me with unhelpful comments, particularly when I was trying to tell the male manager that 3 security guards is unnecessary. Eventually I was sent in a cab (followed out by security) to the other hotel (which had excellent front desk service and I would have gladly stayed there all 3 nights).

Hotwire (also has great service) tried to get the Marriott to let me stay in the second hotel all 3 nights. But the Marriott is greedy, locks customers into a contract even though it has no problem breaking the contract itself, and has terrible management, so Hotwire was told no.

I went back the following night. The male manager from the night before came out to watch me while I was being checked in and made smarmy comments like "I see you're back with us" (as if I had a choice). A note was passed to the person checking me in, which I am guessing was some kind of warning note that a foul word might come out of my potty mouth. I was also asked for a receipt from Hotwire, which made no sense since I was clearly already in their system. When I got to my room (thankfully not escorted by 3 security guards), I called Hotwire who not only said I didn't need to provide a receipt to the hotel, but was able to make sure that this hotel is blocked when I search for hotels in DC again and will never show up in the results.

On a positive note, the front line staff at this hotel is friendly helpful. Managers could learn from them.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Long Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stay here every so often for a convention. No choice. I usually like Marriott properties. This one just doesn't hit the mark.
Pros:
Staff is very helpful and professional. Requests are honored - no problem.
Wardman Tower rooms are spacious and comfortable. Never stayed in the other building.
Beds are comfy.
Lots of lighting.
Lobby is large with lots of couches.
Breakfast room service arrived on time and hot. But...see below.
Cons:
The Internet...OMG...the Internet. This is a business hotel. I think it's the height of arrogance to charge $300 for a hotel room and then charge $13. PER NIGHT for in-room wireless! That was the first topic of conversation of my first meeting here yesterday. How silly to start off that way. There is free wireless in some public areas. BUT every time you move around the hotel you have to reset your settings on your phone. It doesn't search and pick-up the signal. As I said, I was here for business and I spent way too much time fiddling with my phone. And the $13. wifi that I paid for in my room doesn't work on my phone...only on my computer.
Room service menu is one page. Meh.
TV signal goes out constantly...more Internet problems?
The large convention venue...we were 2000 people...goes sideways..the "long" way. Most of the attendees can't see the stage. Relying on "Jumbo-trons".
No make-up mirror.
Not crazy about the shampoos etc. Can't get them out of the hard, plastic bottles.

Wouldn't stay here if I didn't have to.

Room Tip: Lower floors look out on industrial a/c. Go for a higher floor.
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a huge hotel and nothing special. Pretty good location - a few feet from a red line Metro stop, couple of blocks to the National Zoo, walking distance to many restaurants - I like Open City (1/2 block out the back door) and Lillie's Restaurant and Bar (a few blocks up Conn. Ave.) and their outdoor patio seating. We stayed in the older Wardman tower. Our room reportedly had a bit more space and "character" (read - old, dusty, very creaky floors). It had a large bathroom (no vanity) and large closets. Not a great bed - hard time sleeping. The best price we found was high at $279 + $40 tax, yes $40 (including breakfast buffet). Honestly, at that price I expect wi-fi in my room for FREE not $12.95 - $16.95/day. Makes me feel nickel and dimed. Parking is over $40/day - so avoid if possible. Not happy with housekeeping skipping us one day (had to call at 6:30PM after a long day, and showing up after 3PM the next (front desk not particularly interested in this). Restaurant staff were very friendly.

Humble
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

As said in the 2011 review, I'm forced to go to this hotel every year in March. I want to like this hotel, due to its employees: dedicated, and professional. But the upper management is not paying attention to customer needs, as you'll see in this description below.

This time I stayed in the Wardman Tower, which alleviated the 'boring and noisy' problem I had in 2011. Room was very quiet, spacious, airy, charming. Beds wonderful. Wish I could buy the little pillows. First-class staff, very friendly and helpful. Check-in was 4pm, check-out is 12 noon. (You can't find this information in the room!) They will keep your bags for you after you check out, if your meeting goes on longer (as mine always does).

The hotel's Stone's Throw Restaurant is uncomfortable, but food is good. Go for the breakfast buffet (everything in that area is $16-35 per meal, so the restaurant is not out-of-range). The buffet is $22, served from 6am-11:30am, worth it. Hope they keep it next year. I had their lunch steak special (they no longer offer ribeye regularly), which was NY strip, tasty.

The Wardman Fitness room is good, focuses on the big muscle machines, but also has freeweights. Even includes those huge rolling balls, and a nice sauna. It's 24/7 (you need to use your key to open the Center between 11pm and 6am).

There's a nice patio by the Wardman Tower which you can use, black iron patio furniture, a visitor favorite. The pool opens mid-May.

As for the meeting facilities, bear in mind that I've never seen a hotel which offered good food en masse (group servings), but they do try. Next, the actual meeting rooms are pretty typical, even a bit on the nice side, with good maps so you can find the rooms. The seating is typical, acoustics typical. Even so, you should arrive a day early with your itinerary in hand, and walk the rooms you'll have to visit, so you know where you're going.

There's an 'Abe's Transportation' airport bus which takes you to the airport for about the same price as the taxi, but you don't have to tip, and it's kinda fun. The firm is not related to Marriott.

You can print your boarding passes there, also.

Shopping in the area is slim; there is a small 'market' and a CVS pharmacy, Ace Hardware. Many different restaurants to choose from, within quick walking distance, and the Metro is at the bottom of the hotel (it's on a hill). Area is safe.

That's the good stuff, for the two stars. Rest is still way subpar, for the allegedly 'discounted' $300 per night rate paid (pre-tax).

* The phone didn't work, but I did report it. They fixed it.
* The TV is a joke (I reported that too), in Wardman Tower -- you can't even get a TV guide channel to know what is on. They have HBO, and the rest are the junk channels which come with basic cable. Since you can't know even the information about what program is on the air, much less what's scheduled, you'll have to look it up online. They have free internet in the bar, if a machine is free.
* Air Conditioning works, as does heat, but it's very loud and very slow to take effect, in the Wardman Tower. (Two years ago, the heating and air were fine in the Central Tower.)

* There was only one vending machine in the entire Tower, and it was 'sold out' for the 3 days I had to be there. A 20oz vending pepsi is $2.50, so buy at the market or CVS, and store the stuff in the room's refrigerator.

* There was no safe in the room.

* The hand lotion, shampoo and conditioner provided are nice, but the bottle tops are SHARP enough to cut your fingers. Open with a washcloth. You also can't squeeze the bottles well. Someone should tell the manufacturer to change the bottle design to something safer and easier to use. Soap is standard, hair dryer was pistol-style, 1600 watts with a cold air setting, worked well. Toilet paper is the cheap Scott stuff which makes you use 3x as much. False economy.

* Room service menu items are not as good as before, so this time I didn't order room service. You can still put out your breakfast order the night before, to get a scheduled breakfast. No ribeye. But they say you can order off the menu; idea that you can say what you want and they will try to get it. Suggest instead, that you get your stuff to-go from a local restaurant, since just about every type of food you could want, is five-minutes' walk away.

* No bathrobe in the room. (They had bathrobes in Central Tower.) You do get an ironing board and iron. Walk-in closet, in Wardman Tower.

* Lighting in the bathroom is 20-40 watts. You can barely see yourself. Room lighting is okay, soft, low wattage but many lamps.

* The only room clock was for an iphone, and you can't even read the dial to tell the time, nor figure out how to work the thing to wake you up. But you can still schedule a wakeup call.

* STUPID one-cup coffeemaker. There is 1" between the cup and the filter, so if you don't place the cup exactly right (and you know we humans won't pay attention), the filter basket will pour its contents onto the end table. However, in its defense, the coffee is good, and you can always ask for more at the front desk.

* Shower was awful. Although the showerhead was a high-quality Speakman (the best showerhead you can buy), it was WAY TOO SHORT, and there was NO WATER PRESSURE from the shower. Water pressure for bath, was good. Marriott could and should change this showerhead to handheld with a dock, and charge more for that, increasing the water pressure. We the customer would appreciate that. I would gladly pay more for it.

Grounds are huge, nice.

In short, were this Motel 6, the problems cited above would be expected. But it's supposed to be a Marriott. So this is unacceptable, especially at this price, which is supposed to be a 'discount' for a huge (800) group already committed to booking there every year. UNACCEPTABLE, and unfair to the employees who are working hard to compensate for the shortfall. My complaint is NOT about the price, but about what you GET for that price. (The price is standard for the area.)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I wish that we could assign half stars for ratings. A 3.5 might be more accurate than a rating of four for this property.

There is much about this hotel that works. With easy access to the Metro, many good restaurants nearby, and proximity to the National Cathedral and other sites, the location is excellent. The staff were friendly, especially those who work with arriving guests at the entry. The staff who welcomed guests at the desk were friendly as well, but the service did not go beyond what one would expect as being basic for such a hotel.

The hotel seems to focus on "front of house" things such as landscaping. That is as it should be! The conference facilities are very good. That also is as it should be.

The hotel does not meet expectations once one leaves the public areas of the hotel. For example, at 8:30 one night I noticed that a guest had left a plate (probably from a reception) on a trash can near the elevators. The plate was in the same place at 10:00 the next morning. That might seem to be a small matter, but it is the kind of thing that sets the tone for a facility. "The devil is in the details."

Other guests have mentioned sound as an issue. I heard guests in adjoining rooms (and in their bathrooms) throughout my multi-night stay. The sound did not keep me awake, but light sleepers probably would have some problems. (Be aware that the bathrooms are small.)

Overall, if you can get a room at a good rate, don't hesitate to stay at this property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel? Share your experiences!