“Not impressed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel

You added Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel to your Saves list
Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2660 Woodley Road, NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #95 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Lake Mary fl
“Not impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We are loyal Marriott members. However after our stay here I will reconsider Marriotts in the future. I booked through Priceline to save some money. Th minute we checked in we were treated like second class citizens. Won't be staying here again nor recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Request to stay in the older section less busy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Gina H,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I genuinely apologize that your experience was not one that you have come to expect of the Marriott brand. We appreciate all of our guests regardless of how they booked. A member of our Front Office Management team will be in touch with you very soon.

Yours in hospitality,
Dan Nadeau

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The Marriott Wardman Park is a huge hotel. The staff are very helpful though. Check-in was very quick. They have a pub onsite which is very reasonable and the staff are very pleasant. It is a little too far out for me, but one of the sightseeing loops stops less than a 5 minute walk away. However, you do have to change at the Hilton to join one of the main sightseeing tours. There are quite a few restaurants in the general vicinity. The room is large and nice and clean with a small fridge and complementary tea and coffee.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear ginger_tulip2000,

Thank you for your kind review of the Marriott Wardman Park hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We invite you to come back during your next visit to D.C. so that we may further exceed your expectations.

North Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I am thoroughly happy with our stay here. We were there for the Anime USA convention, which had just relocated to this hotel after years at the Marriott Crystal City. The hotel is an easy, although uphill, walk from the Woodley Park Metro station. It is a lovely older building which has kept much of its historic decor and style. When we checked in we asked for two twin beds instead of one king-size, and were floored when the desk clerk offered us a free upgrade to a full suite with two separate bedrooms, each with twin bed and full bath! We loved the suite, which was not only pretty (it even had a balcony and piano) but very comfortable. Mattresses were firm but not too much, and each bed had abundant pillows (six apiece) of different firmnesses - easy to get a good combination. The landscaping is beautiful even in November and the inside decor is regal and elegant (gilding, columns, mirrors). Every staff member we dealt with was cheerful, helpful and friendly. The on-line checkout - accessed through the room TV - is a cool innovation and saves considerable hassle and time.

We ate at two of the hotel restaurants, Harry's Pub (casual) for dinners and Stone's Throw (upscale) for the breakfast buffet. Dinners averaged $16-18, the buffet is $20 and very well stocked. Food was nothing breathtaking, but perfectly good and convenient. My only complaint of the dining options is that the Illy coffee bar (Wardman Market) closes at 8 PM, ridiculous when a fan convention is being held as fans keep late hours and will drink coffee and buy food far into the night. Apparently they weren't warned of this, but should consider it in future.

As far as I could tell, the hotel took the unusual conditions of an anime convention in stride, and was not rude or unfair to fans. I witnessed only one incident of security people asking fans to take down a photography set-up in the common space, and this was reasonable as the arrangement was blocking traffic (photographers with less apparatus were left alone even in walkways).

My only complaints: (1) $39/day to park. We were advised of this and used Metro instead, which I also advise as the hotel is so close to the station. (2) Extra charge for Internet access in rooms - however there is free wireless in cafe areas.

I hope the Wardman Park wasn't overwhelmed by us and allows Anime USA to return in 2013, as I had a very pleasant stay and a great time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Angelynx,

Thank you for your kind words about our property. We were so glad Anime U.S.A. could join us this year and it was a blast to have you all with us! I am so glad we were able to accommodate you and your friends for such and exciting and enjoyable time. We are very glad you all have decided to join us next year and we are already making plans on how we can improve for 2013.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

After staying here several times a year for the last several years, I have found this hotel to be consistently clean, with a professional staff, and it has all the assets that a business traveler needs. Great location for conferences and on the Metro's Red Line.

Room Tip: I've stayed in several different rooms of this very large conference center. I most enjoy stayi...
Dear Melissa T,

Thank you for your wonderful review and loyalty to our hotel. We are glad to hear our staff and property continue to keep you coming back to us. Please let us know if there is anything else we can improve on for your next stay to exceed expectation, and see you on your next visit!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Some reviewers didn't find the location convenient, however, it literally had the elevator of the metro almost located on the property. If you're willing to walk and take public transport, it is convenient. Georgetown is not "convenient" as it has no metro stops that I could find so I'm glad I didn't stay there as originally researched!!

Really, not much to say. It was a Marriott and delivered as a Marriott. Clean, comfortable, good service.

One thing thought that made me less enthusiastic. We showed up Friday night after a long wait at customs followed by a rush to get to our dinner reservations to walk into a lobby full of people in various costumes. When asking the gentleman checking us in about the costumes we were informed that it was the national Anime conference. Wow...Had I known, I wouldn't have booked there. When I was told this, I then asked if any of this would disturb my sleep and assured that we were being put on the 10th floor (the "club floor") and that they were taking the most precautions to avoid having non-conference guests being disturbed. This wasn't the case Saturday night (rather early Sunday morning) when awoken at 3:11 am to very loud bass. My travelling companion was sleeping with ear plugs and was also awake (because earplugs really don't block heavy bass). When I called down to the front desk I was told "the rave was supposed to be over by now. We suspect it is a guest room and we have an officer walking the floors looking for it". The noise continued for another 45 minutes so needless to say we were tired the next day and I was not feeling very warm and fuzzy towards the hung over costumed anime fans the next day while having to encounter them in the common areas.

Other things that could be better: the coffee in the room. Yuck. Granted, it was a Keurig but the coffee was terribly strong and the number of creamers, sugar packets or stir sticks seemed to depend daily on housekeeping's mood. $10 for a medium cappucino and small Americano in the lobby espresso bar seems a little steep when the scatter-brained (albeit kind) ladies forget half your order 2/3 of the time you placed one. And finally, we didn't order room service because, seriously?! 22% service charge PLUS a $4 delivery charge PLUS tax and likely an expected tip at the end??!! No thank you. Free WIFI would also be nice in a room since places like the Holiday Inn, Accent Inn and other "budget" hotels offer the amenity.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Truaii,

Thank you very much for your constructive and helpful feedback. We do apologize for the issues you encountered on your stay. With the large groups we accommodate we try hard to make sure everyone on property is happy and comfortable, and I am sorry this was not the case for you. We are always working on exceeding guest expectations and reviews like yours are great help to us! Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you on your next visit to Washington D.C.

Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed for a convention over 3 days at this hotel. From the moment I stepped out of the car out front until the moment I left the parking deck I was treated very rudely. I had called a few days ahead about parking to make sure that we would have space when we arrived around 8 the morning of the con. We were told that parking was full and we had to find it elsewhere, possibly with directions from valet. We step outside and speak to them, only to be shrugged at and told "Maybe UDC. Take a right, then a left, then another left" and that was it. Being out of state, these were not the best directions so we decided to unload and try again. We grabbed a cart only to be whistled at by some valet attendant and then stared at. We asked what the problem was and he mumbled at us so we had to ask again. Another man approached and explained we couldn't use the carts, that they had to help us in order to use them so he proceeded to help us unload the car (this was an anime convention so we had a ton of costuming stuff etc that we didn't like to be touched as we really are the only ones who know how to handle them) which only took a few minutes really. After we got everything loaded onto the cart he directed us inside to the bell attendant. He stood there staring as us for a moment so we asked him if we could go up and he proceeds with "What room?" so we kind of look at him confused being that he should have asked this before we had to ask why he was staring and also in a much nicer manner. We told him and he said he would meet us there. We get back to the room and some of us go to park the car and he eventually shows up practically throwing out items on the floor and beds and then stands there. I feel like a tip is completely dependent on satisfaction with services provided so I was not offering. As he left he proceeded to very loudly blast my sister and I for not tipping. Right after this happened a phone call came in from a friend that said the valet attendant let him into the deck to check for parking and that there were multiple spots. I felt as if they wanted us to valet park to spend more money as our self park for the con was discounted. We went down and spoke to a manager. This should have been the end of it but alas I was woken around 6 in the morning with the maid service door buzzing across the hall as well as them screaming at each other down the hall and laughing extremely loudly. Thankfully another guest asked them to quiet down. When we requested toilet paper we where met with a shrewd "Fine, ok" and then when we requested more coffee and towels it took hours for them to arrive. Finally, when we where leaving the parking deck, after paying for parking and the bill, the card wouldn't swipe. The man came over and when we told him he shrugged. We sat there a moment until he finally asked where our bill was which we stated had been packed in the back of the car with everything else and alas, another shrug. We sat there trying to discuss backing up to unpack while other cars where behind us when he stated if we gave him $20 in cash we could leave, which we did in order to get out! The rest of our close group, who stayed in another room because there are 11 of us, signed up for a double room with 6 guests and was given a single room in the old ugly part of the hotel with no fridge and a toilet you could barely fit on. Not to mention that I collected a HUGE wad of dog/human hair from the middle of the floor and kept it to show the front desk the uncleanliness. We have also met other con-goers in the same hotel with the same experiences. So ultimately, none of us will be returning to his hotel or this convention as long as it is held on the premises and I am completely and UTTERLY disappointed as being treated this way. We have been doing this for 6-10 years and doing multiple cons a year and have NEVER been treated as third class citizens. Service should always be provided with a smile and to the best of ones ability and that is NOT what you get at this hotel.

Dear DrG3n3,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay. I express my deepest apologies to you for the unpleasant experience you had with us over the weekend. One of the members of our front office management staff will be in touch with you very soon. Anime U.S.A. is returning to our property next year and we hope you will join us again next year and let us makeup for your recent stay.
Best Regards,
College Station, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

A very large hotel that has an eclectic mix of rooms. Very comfortable. The downside is that it is a distance from the downtown DC action. The upside is that it is right on the Metro Red Line. Rooms are very spacious with large windows. If you are lucky you might have a view of the downtown skyline. The food and restaurants are typical Marriott food. If you are planning a convention, this would be a great location. Large spaces make moving around and hosting very easy.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the downtown DC skyline.
Dear Kingjn,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our property and staff. We work had to accommodate all types of travelers and are happy our location was both enjoyable and convenient for you. We look forward to having you stay with us whenever you are in the area, and a pleasant view of the city will be waiting!

Safe Travels
Dan Nadeau

Been to Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel? Share your experiences!