“Great stay and surroundings” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel

You added Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel to your Saves list
Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2660 Woodley Road, NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #97 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Thousand Oaks, California
“Great stay and surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I will start by saying the hotel is located less than 1/2 block from the Metro station. Traffic around DC is terrible so I try not to rent a car. I also try to avoid taxis for the same reason I don't rent a car when in DC business. The nice thing about about the DC metro is that there are many people with suits and ties riding the train. And yes there are other folks with carry-on luggage riding the train. I get to/from the airport or the Amtrak quite quickly. The convenience of the hotel being close to the metro is great. . When entering the hotel the one feels ambiance and magnitude of the hotel. It is an up to date hotel. This hotel is much better than ones closer to Pennsylvania Avenue that show their age significantly and charge $500+ per night (with discount). The hotel has all the amenities expected. The wi-fi worked well. The gym was good (there is a pool too). If one likes to jog/run, there is a terrific path just down the block that is part of the park system. Many joggers, walkers, and bikers of all ages - males and females. So after the run, there is a nice tavern close to the hotel to have a beer. As a matter of fact there a quite a few restaurants in the vicinity. There was much to choose from. For families there is the zoo close by. The rooms were as expected - up-to-date with all the amenities, The hotel had areas where one can work on their computer and have a drink, or if you like drink at the bar. There were enough elevators to make the wait short which is a terrific plus. An enjoyable hotel for business stays.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

It was my husband's convention. So we went here for business and I tagged along so as to see DC. The rooms were not so big but it is very neat and clean. The comfort room is quite big. The were supplied generously. However my disappointment is that the mineral water are not free. We rented a car to go around different places, however the parking is not free. Might as well not rent a car and take subway since the parking fee is more expensive than renting a car per day. Never miss the Segway tour! That was the best thing we did there.

Room Tip: Do not get rooms in front of the vending machine and the ice maker.
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I've stayed at the Wardman numerous times over the past 6 years for conferences. Each stay at this hotel is hit or miss. The check-in process was better than usual. More often than not my room isn't available when I arrive, but this time I was pleasantly surprised that it was. The clerk recognized my Marriott Gold Elite status and upgraded me to a suite.

The Wardman has three towers. The quality of the room is highly dependent on which tower you're in. This time I was put in the tower closest to the Metro. I was happy because I've had problems in the others (e.g., an ant infestation in my room!).

The suite was incredibly spacious. The Wardman's biggest problem is that it is OLD--not just the building, but also the furniture. The sofa was so old and gross that I refused to sit on it. The wallpaper, paint scheme, and artwork were all drab. The only good aspect of the room aside from its size was the bed. Needless to say I spent as little time in the room as possible.

I ate several breakfasts and lunches in the hotel restaurant. The breakfast buffet is bountiful--which is what I've come to expect from a Marriott. Lunch service was very slow. The restaurant staff was fairly courteous.

The gym is adequate but nothing to write home about.

The hotel is massive, but to me that's not necessarily a bad thing. A massive hotel can be run properly (like those on the Vegas strip). The Wardman's problem is that it is not up to Marriott standards. I understand that Marriott bought the hotel way back when. It's been my experience that "bought" Marriotts are never run as well as those built by Marriott. Aside from the restaurant and lounge, my feeling is that the property is in huge need of a renovation. The doors, carpet, and furnishings in certain parts of the hotel are so old that it should be an embarrassment for Marriott. And I do not buy the argument that the old look adds charm.

I only stay at the Wardman for conferences. I would never choose this hotel for a personal stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was not impressed with my stay here. First off, I check in, give my luggage to the bell hop, and then it's gone for an hour. Keep in mind when I checked in I was the only person in the lobby. I had to call down to ask where my luggage was when I all wanted to do was sleep, and the guy acted like it was sitting there waiting for me to claim it. Next night, waiter in main bar had no knowledge of what liquor brands they carried. If you are going to charge $5.50 for a domestic macro brew, the server should know what is behind the bar. Bartender did not want to be bothered with amateur waitstaff, much less customers. He really seemed like he didn't want to be there. Finally, apparently taxis have no interest in service to this location as well, waited 5 minutes (only patron), no taxi, 9 PM. A Marriott branded property in a major city should have a line of taxis 24/7, in my opinion, if not, that's a red flag. On a good note, the breakfast options were very good.

Mainer
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel is huge and much more of a conference facility than a standard hotel. We stayed on 10TH floor (concierge level) in the new(er) building. The room was at the very end of the corridor. As soon as we opened the door to our room we were struck by a very strong odor that smelled like car exhaust. We contacted the front desk and they immediately assigned us a new room.
The second room seemed fine, if a bit small. However on our first night the smoke alarm directly over the bed went off at 4 am. After being shocked awake, we had to clamor around to locate, reach, and finally remove the alarm to get it to stop. We didn’t report it right away as we didn’t want repair people in the room at that hour. After trying unsuccessfully to fall back to sleep we decided to turn on TV to watch early morning news. The TV did not work! Getting more frustrated by the minute, we picked up the phone by the bed to report the problems, and the phone did not work!! Not a good start to our stay.
I will say that once we spoke with someone at the desk they were very responsive and an engineer came to the room very quickly and fixed the fire alarm & TV. They thought they fixed the phone, but it never did work. That wasn’t a problem, since there was another phone in the room.
Overall the overnight rooms are a bit tired but clean. The bath is small. There was some mold on shower curtain, but I left a note and housekeeping replaced it. The bath towels were pretty thin, but they did leave a sufficient supply of bath linens each day. Since this is a very large conference hotel, I am surprised there was no makeup mirror. Wireless was OK, but I did have to sign on several times even though we had signed up to have wireless for our whole stay.
Now for the good. The bed was comfortable and double sheeted (although blanket was extremely thin). Room also had a small refrigerator. The breakfast in the concierge lounge was excellent with lots of healthy options including fresh fruit (with various types of berries, melon, oranges, etc), cold cereals, yogurt, oatmeal, hot dish was scrambled eggs. Was very happy one morning to see smoked salmon complete with capers, chopped onions and tomatoes. Cookies and cold drinks were available all day. Appreciated that evening snack was also fresh and healthy: veggies, hummus, tzatziki dip, edamame bean salad, and lentil salad. Concierge lounge has computer & printer that we used (free) for boarding passes; I understand the business center in the lobby charges even to print boarding passes. Housekeeping did a good job and both housekeeping and concierge lounge staff were unfailingly cordial and polite. The food in the bar/lounge off the lobby was surprisingly good and very reasonably priced. We ate there twice for lunch and it was excellent. Another positive was that although the hotel is huge, we never waited more than a minute or two for the elevator.
Overall, the rooms are average, and a bit smaller than most Marriotts at which we’ve stayed. Both the service and the location are excellent. The hotel is very close to zoo, abuts a nice residential area and is within walking distance of restaurants and parks. The metro stop is right in front of the hotel and the metro system is very easy to navigate. The hotel is so large that there are always taxi cabs available right at the hotel entrance. I would probably stay again, but only if I was attending a conference at the hotel, and could stay again on concierge floor.

Room Tip: Might be worth upgrading to concierge floor, if it's not too expensive. Breakfast and evening s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WardmanPark, General Manager at Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Mainers,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of the Marriott Wardman Park hotel. I apologize for the inconveniences that arose your first night and hope the rest of your stay was pleasurable. We appreciate detailed feedback like yours and use it as an opportunity to improve. We invite you to return so that we may exceed your expectations on your next visit.

Yours in hospitality,
cardiff, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed for one night during a business trip. The hotel is massive which makes getting around something of a orienteering exercise. Personally I prefer smaller hotels however I have to say that the staff service was excellent. The gym seemed a little small for the size of hotel and the machines were showing signs of age. If you are like me - a real gym junkie then this is probably not going to be somewhere you stay for 4 or 5 nights.

One thing to note at the moment. There was a large construction site on one side of the hotel which started early in the morning so if you are looking to sleep in avoid this side of the hotel for the present moment.

Overall I good hotel in a good locality.

Dear wilko51,

We appreciate your feedback of our Marriott Wardman Park hotel. I am always pleased to hear of our staff's performance and will be sure to pass along your wonderful comments. I apologize for the inconvenience of nearby construction. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Washington D.C.

Safe Travels,
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is a huge hotel given to many onsite conventions. I was given a room in the central tower which was done in a modern contemporary style and since I am a Platinum member, I was upgraded to a junior suite with a dining table in an alcove off of the bedroom with overhead contemporary track lighting. Only overnight stay but the Concierge Lounge was not packed on the morning I was there -- perhaps because a major convention was not taking place -- and morning offerings were fine if standard, although sliced turkey was also available.

One final thing, the flat screen TV actually had many HD channels!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear OFTEN_HOMEBOUND,

As always, we appreciate the loyalty of our Platinum Elite members and like to show said appreciation by offering upgraded rooms whenever possible. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of the Marriott Wardman Park hotel and we look forward to seeing you during your next stay.

Safe Travels,