“Clean, comfortable, convenient -- but maze-like” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel

You added Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel to your Saves list
Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2660 Woodley Road, NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
BOOK OUR ZOO PACKAGE
Ranked #99 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Bismarck, North Dakota
“Clean, comfortable, convenient -- but maze-like”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

First the good stuff: the room was *exceptionally* clean, the beds were comfortable, the atmosphere was rather quiet, and the front desk was very helpful. The metro is *right there* and truly couldn't be more convenient. There are many very nice restaurants directly across the street (as well as McDonalds and other fast food, if you just want something quick/cheap). It's easy to get to the hotel coming from the northeast; you don't have to go into the city. Now, the not so good: the parking garage is under construction, and it was difficult to figure out how to park (you have to go around the block to the back of the hotel). Once we parked, it was then equally difficult to find the front desk, and then to find the tower we needed to go to in order to get to our room. It literally was an hour from when we arrived at the hotel until we actually made it to our room. There's a cafe, which is supposed to be open at 6 am, but the morning I tried to get a coffee there, they didn't manage to open until after 6:30 and the staff wasn't terribly friendly. On checkout, they charged me for two days of valet parking, when we self-parked (though the front desk easily removed it from my bill), and then when we tried to leave the parking lot, the attendant tried to charge us an additional 93.00 for parking. I had to dig through my bags to find my bill to prove that it was already paid -- it was kind of annoying. Overall, and even though there were some minor complaints, this is a very nice hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Spent 6 nights during December 2010 while participating conference. For that, hotel was ok, wouldn't have paid own money for that. So-so location (didn't find any good restaurants nearby) and quite expensive.

Hotel has a nice gym and sleep was very good on the plus side. Wifi was slow.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

I've stayed at this property twice for conferences & I think of it as a conference hotel due to size. Rooms are fine - in-room safe that fits a pc & in-room coffee -- bathroom is a bit cramped. Friendly check-in. Long taxi line the two times I needed a taxi. Not near the main tourist attractions, however metro is easy to use. Arrived after 8pm so just wanted a light meal & enjoyed atmosphere & food at Harry's Bar (& they accomodated my use of pc & needing an outlet). Conference food was better than typical conference meals - especially considering size of event I was attending.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I debated on this choice but have to say was EXTREMELY pleased with the decision to stay here. Stayed for 3 nights with myself, husband, and two kids- 7 and 8 years old. The location was perfect for our quick sightseeing trip. I had hoped to keep the cost down on the hotel, but found that is very difficult to do in the DC area. But I found this hotel with a travelzoo weekend rate of $99. Clicking into this offer- I found the hotel's 'Escape Zoo Package' for $109 per night - and this included self-parking and kids eat free. As parking is usually over $30 per night, this was a great deal and kept me very close to the $100 per night with parking included I had been hoping to find.

The only negative point was the parking. I am not sure if they just are pushing the valet parking or what - but since self-park was included, this is what we attempted to do. Had just gotten there after 7 plus hours of driving and, needless to say, were anxious to get out of the car and into our room. The desk clerk who checked me in was very helpful, however, when we went to what appeared to be the self-park lot, the card she gave me would not open the gate for entry. So we had to back up and I had to go back inside and try again. A new clerk this time gave me another swipe card exactly the same as the first. I asked her repeatedly if she had done anything in the computer to 'trigger' this number - as I was certain that the card reader had read it and just denied entry. And obviously, if nothing was updated, the same exact thing was bound to happen - and lo and behold - the exact same thing happened again. Now I had to get the valet parking person to walk over and personally flip a switch to allow us entry. However, even after asking him if we were directed to the wrong spot - he assured us it was, but then when we got into that garage, we found it was NOT the one we were supposed to use. And, this part is great - had to get another valet person to get us OUT the out gate. All in all it took about an HOUR to actually park our car. The worst part is that it was not a single person who was misinformed and not knowledgeable - we had 4 different people helping us and not one of them knew what they were doing when it came to parking.

Saying all of that - I will tell you that I was still thrilled with our stay minus that one major issue. Our room was smaller than I thought, but very nice. Beds were comfortable. TV was flat screen and fine. Unfortunately the air conditioning didn't work really well - they only let you put the thermostat down to 60 - but no way was it 60 in there - it was a bit stuffy. It is true that the walk from the Park Tower to the rest of the hotel is farther - but honestly it was only about 4 or so minutes. As for the Center Tower if you want to be right in the lobby off the elevator.

I signed up for the Marriott rewards prior to our trip and got Internet in the room for free with it. This was nice.

The Metro is right next to this hotel (go out the door to the tour bus loop) - only about a 2 minute walk from the door. We took the metro in for our Museum/Capitol day. The day pass for the metro (which we had planned on) doesn't start until after 9:30. So it ended up not making sense to do so, since we started at 8:00. We spent $20 on 4 $5.00 fare cards for us. Made the change at Metro Center to get to the Smithsonian Stop. Quick, easy - did have to stand for one or two stops, but it wasn't bad.

On the way back to the room at 7:00pm, tons of space on the trains. The plaza right next to the metro at the Wardman has a ton of nice restaurants. We got takeout from Chipolte and a Chinese place.

The next day was our Zoo day. It is walking distance to the hotel and probably took us about 10 minutes to walk there. We enjoyed the zoo and the kids loved the pandas. We rested in the room for a couple hours then did a Monuments By Moonlight tour (D&C tour company). We had thought about doing this and almost booked one online but was happy we waited. We booked this through the concierge desk and the nice thing was that they picked up and dropped off right at the hotel.

We also used the Kids Eat Free option on our package (we were told it was at any of the restaurants, but we only used it at Stone's Throw). We had dinner the first night and breakfast buffet another day. This was a nice savings and the food was great there.

On Sunday we had tickets to go to the top of the Washington Memorial (get them online -the lines are long - very worth the small fee online). It was our check out day anyway (and no, the gates did not open for us - had to get someone to do it manually again). Since parking is free on Sundays - we drove down the few miles to the memorial (easy drive on a Sunday morning). We got there about 9;30 and beat the rush for street parking. We were easily able to park right next to the memorial. I recommend this for Sunday sightseeing, especially if you'll be there pretty early to secure your spot.

Even with the couple of complaints, the location of this hotel and the ease of using the Metro here make it very worthwhile and I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for Center Tower
Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Went for 2 nights with wife and 3 kids 11,10,6.Got a deal through Marriott website,$109 a night included FREE parking and FREE Kids meals..all meals..what a deal.and FREE internet as I'm a Marriott rewards member.Hotel is very pretty with thousands of tulips in full bloom..Stayed in 4th floor Wardman tower.Good size room ,only downer was low water pressure in shower...nice neighborhood.1 block to Metro Red line.3 blocks to Zoo entrance.Hotel seemed pretty empty as no conventions w/ Easter week? Would return again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

We really liked the location of this hotel: decent Washingtonian neighborhoods. There is a metro stop in front of the hotel. Many neighborhood type shops and restaurants in front of the hotel grounds. Good area to walk around. It is not near the monuments, but we knew that. It is near the Zoo. Good location for college tours of Georgetown. It is a HUGE conference hotel. And, the grounds are correspondingly immense. The metro stop isn’t exactly ‘just outside’ the front door. If this is not what you’re looking for, go elsewhere. The lobby is immense.

Easy enough to drive to/from. We had no issues finding parking on the outside lot. We thought the overnight parking fee a bit steep and worse if you use the valet. There is an Illy coffee shop in the hotel, plus other shops. Our room was on the small side and could use an update. Wifi free in the hotel lobby but you’d have to pay in the rooms. Staff could be a touch friendlier, but normal for what can be expected from a conference hotel [several conferences happening at the same time]. I don't think this hotel is worth anywhere near the 'regular' booking rate, but we got a really good price through one of the online website; under $100/night.

Room Tip: Book through an online website last minute
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Hamilton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

Visited DC with young kids. Great location to Metro and zoo. The hotel is primarily for conferences but that was not a detractor. There are two issues I had that would prevent me from returning. The first is that I witnessed one of the staff leave the toliet stall then bathroom without washing his hands. I called him on it but just got a blank stare. The other incident involve the loss or theft of personal belongings. After checking out I left some personal property in the room. I called the front desk and was told someone would go to room and it would be retrieved and held. Upon return they informed me that no one went to room and my property was gone, they could do nothing.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel? Share your experiences!