“Delicious small plates” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Graffiato

Graffiato
707 6th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)
202-289-3600
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Graffiato is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #302 of 2,562 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Mediterranean, Spanish, Tapas
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Jacksonville, Florida
“Delicious small plates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were excited to try Mike Isabella's restaurant while we were on our DC Thanksgiving getaway. We went on Tuesday evening around 6:30 and had no trouble getting a table upstairs without a reservation. Our waiter was a bit disappointing and not very forthcoming with information about the small plates or portion sizes. My husband and I shared a Hobbit pizza which was delicious. We also got the Chinese ribs which were very tender and tasty, and the chicken thigh in pepperoni sauce, also very good..I loved the crispy skin and juicy chicken. We also had the Chocolate Budino for dessert and just loved it. We can't wait to go back on our next trip. I gave the service a 3 because I didn't love the waiter and felt uncomfortable after ordering dessert when another waiter asked why we were still there. I will say our water glasses never ran dry. I also gave a 3 for atmosphere mostly because we were so close to the people sitting behind us we couldn't move the chair out any further, and would get knocked every time the person behind us would get up. This got to be rather uncomfortable. With that said, it's the food that will bring us back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Greensboro, North Carolina
“great lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Having discovered Mike Isabella's wonderful cookbook, we wanted to try the restaurant. It did not disappoint. We had a series of small plates, each of wish were delicious. My only advice is to temper choices with something like a salad-- the food is very rich, We sat downstairs, which we preferred to upstairs, and we also enjoyed any array of cocktails.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Havre de Grace, Maryland
“I wish I had room to eat more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I dined here during an "off hours" time and it was very quiet. I sat at the bar and the service was efficient and perfunctory.

The plates have a decent serving of food for a tapas-style restaurant. Usually I can get 5 or 6 dishes at a place and still leave a little hungry but I could only eat 3 dishes here before I was full. Definitely going back with friends so I can share, and therefore eat more.

I started off with the charred Brussels sprouts with maple yogurt. These were so addicting, I could have brought a bag of them to the movies and just popped them while watching. Nice and a bit sweet but not cloyingly so. There was crispy pancetta and what seemed to be hard boiled egg crumbled over them.

The charred octopus was just as amazing as I hoped it would be! This dish was the main reason I went. It did not disappoint. The octopus was tender, which is hard to get! Most places overcook it and make it chewy. The char was subtle and the oils/dressings/extra bits on the dish all worked in amazing harmony.

I rarely get dessert but decided to try this time - I got the chocolate budino. This came with a scoop of gentle and creamy olive oil gelato, and was sprinkled with sautéed cherries, pine nuts, and sea salt flakes. I loved this so much that I can't wait to go back and get it again (and the octopus).

As for drinks: I tried the Champagne Supernova and the Get Lucky. The layers of flavors hit in succession, almost like there are flavor striations in the drink that translate to the palate.

The atmosphere was young and trendy. There is a pizza oven bar area and then an open kitchen area to the rear. I was seated downstairs so I don't know what the upstairs is like. Numerous other single diners came in to eat/drink at the bar. It was a nice, relaxed vibe with contemporary music playing over the speakers. I can't wait to return!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Really good food, okay service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We didn't realize the was yet another shared plate kind of place, but it ended up being a great meal from one the biggest characters of Top Chef. We had a meat and cheese plate plus some shared pizzas then everyone had their own entree. Its not your typical Italian joint, the combinations of flavors can sound a bit unusual, but trust the chef, they are amazing! The brussels sprout and sweet potato pizza was outstanding! Great flavors! Probably not a great place for your picky eater, so tread carefully.

The atmosphere is young and lively. Very clever cocktail program as well. Lots of fun.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nevada
“Unique Eats, Very Tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We showed up for dinner without a reservation and the hostess went above the call to get us in. This restaurant seems suited for gathering with friends since sharing the dishes makes the dinner more fun. We sampled a large variety of the dishes, including the pizzas, and all were very good. The combination of ingredients were unique and worked very well together. We were seated back by the kitchen so it was a little loud but then so were we.