“Always in focus” 5 of 5 stars

$89*
and up
Activities: Group tours/city tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Washington Photo Safari is one of the country's leading providers of amateur photographer instruction. Established in 1999, it was the first program of regularly scheduled local photo safaris in the nation. It teaches the techniques of photography by taking visitors and local residents on half-day and full-day photo shoots around key sites of the nation's capital and other cities, while an accompanying professional photographer offers participants extensive tips in the use of several camera models, image composition and design, proper exposure and lighting, and posing "models" to the best effect. Washington Photo Safari provides hands-on photography training field trips with a team of 11 professional photographers giving instruction to hundreds of clients every month on local and domestic itineraries. Since 1999, over 32,800 amateur photographers have been trained on 4,500 safaris by Washington Photo Safari, 9,000 of them as repeat clients returning for two or more of the 140 safari itineraries that we offer. Due to favorable customer reviews. Washington Photo Safari has received three certificates of Excellence from Trip Advisor in 2013, 2014 and again in 2015, and was recently featured in a full page article in the Sunday Travel Section of the Chicago Tribune. Its founder and director is E.David Luria, an architectural photographer whose work has appeared in over 100 publications and calendars. Fluent in Spanish, French, German and English, Mr Luria is a US Army veteran, an honors graduate of Amherst College, and received his photography training in Paris at the Parson School of Design with a protege of Henri Cartier Bresson.
philadelphia
“Always in focus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Second time around with David and there is nothing but superlatives to describe the man and his teaching. Whether you're a novice like my dad, or a bit more seasoned like me, he makes you feel comfortable and teaches to your level. He always makes things interesting and his knowledge is impeccable. If your looking for a fun, stress-free class that guides you through the steps of competent photography as well as the scenery around you, look no further. Each time I spend time with him I learn something new. Cheers David, keep up the good work
Phillydave

Quito, Ecuador
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“The Cherry Blossoms are awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Unfortunately they only last less than a week! but in Spring the whole city gives birth to all kinds of flower trees (dogwoods, tulip magnolia, etc) tulips, azaleas, daffodils, forsythia throughout the spring, followed by festivals and all kinds of interesting and grand events!
DC is the Nation's capital and of course every American must come and see it's splendid monuments, making it sometimes impossible to walk easily without bumping into tourists.
Most of the museums are free as are the monuments..and there is good public transportation.

Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Re-ignited the photo fire”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I truley didn't know what to expect. Melanie made the learning more about my camera jsust too enjoyable. I remembered shots I had taken decades ago, applied what she had shown us and wished I could go back in time to retake teh shot. Though digital didn't exist back then, I tapped into teh old fire I had for photography. I still have much to learn and will retake my basic camera course for reinforcement and others to expand knowledge. Washington Photo Safari has a gem in Melanie and I look forward to taking other classes.

Visited March 2014
PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
We were delighted to hear that the photo safari with instructor Melanie Otto reignited this client's passion for photography. We see that as our job: helping people discover - or rediscover - the joy of photography by removing mystery from the camera.
Reston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Washington Cherry Blossoms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I had been with David Luria on a previous outing to Washington buildings and monuments so when we were offered a 2 for 1 on Groupon, I got my wife to come along. She's the artistic photographer and she got coached on a lot of technical details. I got coaching on composition and posing people to make great travel photos. Super outing - go if you can.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Cherry Blossom Photo Safari”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife got me the Cherry Blossom Photo Safari as a gift. This was at least the 5th outing I have done with Washington Photo Safari. They are always instructive and enjoyable. We had reserved this one months in advance, and as it turned out, the weather was cool and cloudy and the cherry blossoms had not bloomed yet. Still, it was very worthwhile, and I got some good photography pointers from this.