Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Type: Religious Sites, Churches/ Cathedrals, Cultural
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Breathtaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Is the most beautiful church I ever seen. This time because the time I couldn't have the guide tour but I would absolutely come back and do the full tour experience.

Fredonia, Ny
31 attraction reviews
“Easter at the Basilica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

What a beautiful way for our family to celebrate Easter! While planning our visit to DC, this was at the top of our list.

Vancouver
22 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I wasn't certain I would have time for a visit to the National Shrine during my recent DC visit, but I was ultimately delighted that I made the time. The basilica is absolutely breathtaking, and I suspect one could spend an entire day wandering throughout. I will certainly recommend a visit to my colleagues and friends visiting DC, Catholics and non-Catholics alike.

Wellington, New Zealand
107 attraction reviews
“Absolutely gorgeous church”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We visited as a result of reading about it in Trip Advisor. It is a little out of town but easily found from the Brookland Metro station. It is very impressive from the outside with its blue dome. Inside, it has so many altars dedicated to Mary, all different and beautifully decorated. The ceilings are all mosaic which sparkle. Despite its busyness, it does retain a sense of serenity and holiness. There was a sung litany in one part of the church and exposition if the blessed sacrament in the crypt church. The guards were friendly and helpful. We had a pretty good lunch there as well.

Folkestone, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I am not a Catholic but was taken here by a relative who is, otherwise I doubt it would have been on my agenda whilst in Washington. But I'm so glad he did, this church is simply amazing, simply the most beautiful church I have ever been in. The mosaics are stunning, I guess Americans would say "awesome" [somewhat overused though so inadequate in this case!]. A bit out of the way but worth the short metro trip. Tip - if on the metro in the rush-hour, get near the train exit doors before you arrive at your station, they don't stay open long and two of our party once found themselves 'trapped' inside because people charging on didn't give them a chance to exit and they had to go to the next station and come back!

Visited April 2014

Travelers who viewed Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception also viewed

Been to Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.