“Nice property and location, restaurant can be better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Washington DC

Save Saved
You added The Fairmont Washington DC to your Saves list
The Fairmont Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2401 M St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Formerly The Monarch Hotel) (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #8 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco
“Nice property and location, restaurant can be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed over a weekend in mid-February 2013 and really loved the location and room. The lobby area was quaint but lovely and open and airy. We had an afternoon snack and drink there. Would love to see it here in warmer weather when the inner courtyard is open. The room was nicely appointed, very clean. The bed was super comfy. The location was in fast walking distance to the Georgetown shopping district, and also to the metro station (subway). The service/staff was very helpful. There was a wedding there that Saturday night, and I took a look around earlier in the day -- a beautiful circular room for the ceremony, and they have a LOT of meeting space at this hotel. The only issue is that the restaurant didn't seem totally up to par in terms of food. We each had a steak entree, mine was a Kobe-style beef that wasn't very flavorful and not really worth the high price (~$55). My tomato-basil soup was just kinda "meh." They didn't have any bread options for those like me with a nut allergy. So I think they would use some improvement there. One last comment is the very high price of their room service menu for breakfast -- I don't understand why hotels charge $20-$26 for eggs and toast or pancakes, because it just deters you from ordering from them at all. My husband instead just ran around the corner and got two breakfasts to go for $20 total. If they would reduce the prices by $3-$4 per breakfast, I suspect they'd get more revenue. But overall, would definitely recommend this hotel for leisure and business travelers alike.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontDC, Manager at The Fairmont Washington DC, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you kindly JenSF! We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed the location and room. We may be biased, but we totally agree—the beds are super comfy.

The circular room you saw was The Colonnade and it is an amazing asset to the property. We’re glad you stumbled upon it!

We’re sorry that the restaurant did not exceed your expectations. We strive to please guests in every aspect of their experience. We will certainly address the bread issue. We don’t want to leave anyone with nut allergies out!

Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

1,267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is a very beautiful hotel. My one complaint (and I don't expect a lot of sympathy) is their lack of smoking rooms. I was told they only have one guest room that allows smoking, which I find odd. Other hotels at least have a smoking floor. The truth is, 20% of the population smokes, and it would be nice to have the option to stay in a room, have a drink, have a smoke, and just relax. But, I know that smoking is out of fashion, and I am not surprised that they don't offer many smoking rooms. I just find it strange that they would offer one smoking room. Why not offer a few more? It is a deciding factor for a lot of hotel guests (one in five!)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
FairmontDC, Manager at The Fairmont Washington DC, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Vacationladymaine, thank you for complimenting the beauty of our hotel! We're glad to have had you stay with us and hope to have you back again soon!
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed 2 nights over the Presidents' Day weekend at this particular Fairmont Hotel. The room and service were excellent as I expected. When we made the reservations, I said we would be there about 1 pm, but called the next day and said I would be there about 10 am and they were very agreeable and said they would do their best to get us a room at that hour...which they did. We did not pay the $45/day parking but parked at a garage on New Hampshire about 2 blocks from the hotel and paid $22 for overnight parking (but with no in/out privileges, which was fine with us). The amenities in the hotel are really very nice, including bathrobes to use while there, 2 small bottles of water with the turndown service at night, coffee and tea in the room, and the NY Times outside our door in the morning (not the local Washington DC paper or USA Today). I assume we got the NY Times because they knew we were from NYC. Both the bedroom and bathroom are decorated very elegantly. While it is an expensive hotel, it is a great experience. My only negative comment was that one of the concierges gave us a roundabout way of getting some place when I would have preferred a shorter route.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MMF326, we’re glad you had such a pleasant stay! And we appreciate you taking the time to review.

Personalization is the foundation of our service offerings, so you guessed correctly on the NY Times. We hope it’s what you would have chosen! If not, we encourage guests to sign up for Fairmont President’s Club and specify their newspaper preference there.

We’re sorry about the roundabout directions—when you live in DC, you come up with all sorts of driving routes to get around traffic. We hope you got where you were going in time and that you will be back to visit us again soon. Thank you again!

Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

A beautiful hotel with elegant public space The rooms are spacious with very nice service. Restaurant for breakfast was good but not cheap. Health club was under renovation during our stay but a smaller fitness center was open.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you leven4all for taking the time to review. We love each and every review; it gives our future guests the ability to hear from a wide range of voices. The health club will re-open on March 1st. We hope you are able to take another weekend getaway and see all the improvements!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Took my husband here for his birthday weekend. Very nice and romantic. We had dinner at the Juniper restaurant inside the hotel. Everything was delicious! The whole stay cost a bit more than I expected though - $450 for a one night's stay. We did not have an executive room. Just a regular king room. We ordered from the price fixed menu, and only had one alcoholic drink and the meal totaled $160. Parking was $40 for one night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontDC, Manager at The Fairmont Washington DC, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
SerenityR88 we are so pleased to have hosted your romantic getaway! We love making happy couples even happier.

We’re sorry that the cost of the stay exceeded your expectations. We recommend signing up for our email newsletters so we can let you know about some of our great specials. If you are interested in signing up, please email keely.carney@fairmont.com. She is our Internet Marketing Manager and will get you on the list.

Thanks again for reviewing, and happy belated birthday to your husband!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Overall this is a very nice hotel. A solid 5 star hotel. Rooms were tastefully furnished and fairly spacious. The shower was so good I wanted to take showers when I didnt need to just to feel the pleasant spray of it....sometimes it is the littly things that matter most.

Only one negative they charge $45 per night to park overnight. I have been to plenty luxury hotels that charge for parking. However $45 seems to be abusive to me. It makes me feel like I was being hussled. I may stay elsewhere next time to save on parking. There are plenty of other hotels in DC that are comparable in quality and charge half of what Fairmont charges for parking.

Room Tip: Try to avoid parking at the hotel. They charge $45 per night.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rudoinfo, thank you for taking the time to review our property! We’re glad you enjoyed the hotel, your room and the shower. We agree that it is the little things that matter most!

We’re sorry that you found the parking too expensive. The Ritz, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt and other properties in our area have comparable rates, we promise. One of the few downsides to having a great location!

Thanks again and we hope to have you back.

Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I get the pleasure of staying at this hotel every year at the same week for the same meeting. And it never let's me down. The staff are lovely people who go out of their way to make their guests comfortable. This year my husband forgot his cufflinks and the concierge lent him his. Serious, his! Off of his shirt! I wish I recalled the persons name but he was so nice and trusting of us to bring them back to him. We love this hotel for so many reasons but I have decided the staff is the main reason. They see me running and then check on me after and also ask when I try to skip my run! The only reason I gave the value 4 stars is because they usually have a great gym which is why we love this hotel. But this year the gym is under construction and we were not aware of this. The pathetic gym they made is stuffy and awful with crap equipment compared to what we have come to expect at this usually awesome gym at this hotel. So if you like their gym call ahead to ask if the repairs are done!

• Stayed February 2013
Martha G, what a great story about our concierge! Thank you for sharing. We’ll ask the staff to find out who it was. He will certainly be recognized for providing exemplary service.

We’re sorry that your visit coincided with our gym renovation. We’re pleased to announce that the new and improved health club facility will open on March 1st. Let us know what you think next year!

Hotel Manager

Been to The Fairmont Washington DC? Share your experiences!