“One of the best hotels in DC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Washington DC

Save Saved
You added The Fairmont Washington DC to your Saves list
The Fairmont Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2401 M St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Formerly The Monarch Hotel) (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #8 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“One of the best hotels in DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I get the pleasure of staying at this hotel every year at the same week for the same meeting. And it never let's me down. The staff are lovely people who go out of their way to make their guests comfortable. This year my husband forgot his cufflinks and the concierge lent him his. Serious, his! Off of his shirt! I wish I recalled the persons name but he was so nice and trusting of us to bring them back to him. We love this hotel for so many reasons but I have decided the staff is the main reason. They see me running and then check on me after and also ask when I try to skip my run! The only reason I gave the value 4 stars is because they usually have a great gym which is why we love this hotel. But this year the gym is under construction and we were not aware of this. The pathetic gym they made is stuffy and awful with crap equipment compared to what we have come to expect at this usually awesome gym at this hotel. So if you like their gym call ahead to ask if the repairs are done!

• Stayed February 2013
FairmontDC, Manager at The Fairmont Washington DC, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Martha G, what a great story about our concierge! Thank you for sharing. We’ll ask the staff to find out who it was. He will certainly be recognized for providing exemplary service.

We’re sorry that your visit coincided with our gym renovation. We’re pleased to announce that the new and improved health club facility will open on March 1st. Let us know what you think next year!

1,267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel in the Embassies area. The service is prompt and kind, the location is perfect and the environment beautiful. A note of criticism is that for a hotel of this level, things such as free Internet, free water bottle in the room, some free coffee in the lobby should be granted.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the kind review LuisaColorado. We love words like classy, perfect and beautiful when describing our property!

Next time you visit, we highly recommend signing up for Fairmont President’s Club. One of the perks of membership is complimentary Internet. You can also save preferences on your profile, so if you would like a certain kind of coffee for the in-room Keurig, we’d make sure to have it available. At the Fairmont, we strive to be as environmentally friendly as possible and try to limit the use of disposable water bottles. However, we have filtered still and sparkling water offered in glass bottles available for no charge in all of our dining areas. Feel free to call our Royal Service department any time you’re feeling parched—and let us know before you visit next, we’ll make sure to stock your room.

Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

Breinigsville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

i stay there twice a year after my first stay the doormen remember your face and greet you with a smile and a welcome back. the hotel is well located in the georgetown area, also many excellent places to have a fine dinner in the general area, many can be walked to

Room Tip: the times that i have been there i have found all of the rooms great
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much George M! We’re delighted that you feel at home in our hotel. We’ll pass your compliments on to our doormen—they have memories that blow us away. We appreciate you taking the time to review and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Windsor, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've been helping with a conference that has been held at this hotel for the past 3 years. After three visits, I've only found one thing I didn't like, and its pretty petty. The staff were great to work with. The food for the conference was excellent. The young lady that checked me in went above and beyond. I believe her name was Sarah. She got me a great room with an adjoining room for my son. Here's my only petty complaint...the TV in my room was on a center dresser and rotated 180 degrees to be viewed from the bed or the couch (like I said, she got me a great room), but it only rotated towards the hall to the bathroom and you couldn't see the TV from the desk. I like watching TV in the evening while I'm catching up on work and I could sit at the desk and see the TV. I told you it was petty. I did, however, have a nice window above the desk that looked right down M street. But I would rate this hotel 5 stars anytime.

Room Tip: Getting a room right on M street gives you something to view. If you want a good suite, a room on t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
FairmontDC, Manager at The Fairmont Washington DC, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you RLMartin for being such a loyal guest! We truly appreciate it. We will pass your compliments on to Sarah. She’s great and we’re lucky to have her!

Our Director of Engineering will look into the TV situation and see what he can do to improve the experience.

Thank you again for taking the time to review and for giving us five stars!

Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Sometimes you simply need a way station that is a simple respite from a long travel schedule. While I was not able to truly take advantage of all this property has to offer, the friendly staff, the well appointed room, the bed that was to die for, the nice little slippers and the fact that I could take a real bath and soak the aches and pains of the day away made all the difference. It was an exemplary in room experience.

I would especially like to acknowledge front staff- Two doorman quickly pointed me in the right direction for both my dinner date, and a hot bowl of oatmeal at a nearby Starbucks. In both cases they walked me to the curb and pointed out landmarks to make my walk easier. Along the way I also realised that it was in a GREAT location in G'Town.

I was also impressed with the check out process. A young woman greeted me in the lobby, checked me out on an iPad, directed me to an ATM and looked after getting my bags to cab while I got my cash.

Room Tip: My corner mini suite was especially nice and easy to see how spending a week there would be very com...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Tony C for such a kind review! It sounds like you had exactly the experience we want out guests to have. We couldn’t be happier!

We hope that you’ll be able to stay longer next time and truly experience all that the hotel and location have to offer. Thank you again. We look forward to having you back!

Planet Earth Wannabe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Not impressed with staff and room service; the front desk staff were not helpful until the manager had to intervene and don't even bother with room service - over an hour to get uncooked cold food. The hotel has a beautiful courtyard and the rooms are spacious but that's about all it has to offer.

Room Tip: Stay away from street view rooms - can get quite noisy
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
SuzyPoo, we are terribly sorry you had a negative experience with us. We are unwilling let any guest be disappointed; please call us at (202) 429-2400 and ask for Adam Knight, Hotel Manager. We would like to make our amends and correct the situation.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Washington Fairmont Hotel is the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at by far. From the minute you come to the front entrance it is pure elegance. Inside is marble and glass, the rear courtyard is just stunning. The restaurants are outstanding, the rooms are beautiful and a very, very nice spa as well. The location right on M street, and a short walk to Georgetown is also wonderful for those people without a car.
THIS is the hotel to stay at in Washington DC

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
FairmontDC, Manager at The Fairmont Washington DC, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
281bob, we are flattered! From the “stunning” courtyard to the elegant entrance, we are so pleased that you had an impeccable Fairmont Washington D.C., Georgetown experience. It’s what we strive for!

We appreciate you taking the time to review and helping future guests with their travel decisions. The power of guest-to-guest reviews is undeniable. Please come back and stay again soon; we will be waiting to wow you some more!

Hotel Manager

Been to The Fairmont Washington DC? Share your experiences!