“Excellent Property, Friendly Staff, Great Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Washington DC

You added The Fairmont Washington DC to your Saves list
The Fairmont Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2401 M St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Formerly The Monarch Hotel) (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Special Offer
Stay for 3, pay for 2
Ranked #8 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent Property, Friendly Staff, Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We were in Washington D.C. in April 2012 for a few days vacation. We were fortunate enough to get an upgrade of a room at the Fairmont. It is a modern hotel with an historic feel. The lounge in the lobby is a great spot for a night cap and a quick bite of some locally produced food. The Juniper Restaurant has a great menu and you can dine outside in the quadrangle or in the nicely decorated dining room. The hotel is an easy walk to the Foggy Bottom subway stop. The subway is a great way to get around pretty much anywhere in the city. You can easily get to the Fairmont from the Reagan International Airport by subway. The hotel is near a neat little breakfast place just a half block south. There is a grocery store about a block and a half away called Trader Joe's where you can pick up a little something for the room.

Fairmont Hotels are great choices when you travel. I recommend that you join the Fairmont President's Club so that you can take advantage of the extras available. It doesn't take many stays before you make your way to the higher tiers of the programme.

Room Tip: I don't know as there are any bad room locations. We had a room looking into the interior courty...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
lv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

First trip to DC, perfect place to stay!. The staff is hospitable, friendly and exceptional customer service. The lobby bar is wonderful, feels like you've come home after a long day of sightseeing. Three blocks to the metro and easy walking distance to many restaurants in Georgetown. We'd like to say "Thank You' to the following employees, Jawed, the lobby bartender, makes a fabulous chocolate martini, knows how to take care of his guests! Sarah, Donte, Christine, & Wanda Sykes, keep up the good work! Kevin & Robin at Concierge were extremely helpful with our daily touring tips. Fairmount should be proud to have a terrific staff, everyone was great from Housekeeping, Front desk and Doormen.

We had a great visit to our Nation"s Capitol. There are so many things that will remain in our memories. Thank you Fairmont...We will be back

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

My room was very nice; the lobby is beautiful; the location is great (only 4 blocks from Georgetown). My only complaint is that most hotels of this class (and price) offer free water in the room, and sometimes also have complimentary computers to check email, etc...

Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I visited this hotel on business for 2.5 days. I travel rather often globally and have to say that the customer facing staff is ideal. Everything that you would expect from the Fairmont brand. The maid service was absolutely spectacular. I would like to specially call out Jean in banquets as being a key team member. He was wonderful and extremely helpful.

I do have to comment though that if you are looking for world class room service cusine or catering for an event, please reconsider and double check the quality and expectations of the food for your event. During our event, this luxurious hotel cut back on the food so much that chicken and fish were cut into small slivers of portions. For example, it appeared as if a chicken breast was fileted and cut into eights to make it go father. It was obviously done very poorly by the kitchen as it really just appeared cheap and tacky. The breakfast was also another example of the kitchen being rather sparing about letting any food out. Eggs Benedict was embarassing. The english muffin was so hard one could not cut it, the ham was sliced wafer thin, the poached eggs were dry and the holandaise sauce probably ammounted to a half of a tea spoon. I would never serve anyone anything like that at my home, nevermind a luxury hotel.
Deserts were lovely.

Not all of the waitstaff appeared educated as to proper ettiqute signals and table manners (position of flatware and napkins). I would expect more from the Fairmont. I had people take away my place settings despite the fact I was still eating. I did not even receive coffee with desert. Our event lasted until 8PM, however the waitstaff seemed very rushed to take plates away before the meal and deserts were finished. This was not a multi-course meal situation either, this was a buffet style dinner. It just made for an ackward situation. I really hope the hotel can learn fom this comment and fix the issue.

Room service was excellent,. The menu was average as far as selections go. The French Onion soup was not very tasty and the bread pudding a bit dry. You might want to try a bread and butter pudding recipe. The crab cakes were delicious. The cheese trays were extremely good.

Internet in rooms is rather fast.

This hotel is located in Georgetown and is not near anything if you are looking to stay near monuments.

I visited this hotel on business. The business center is great, however the internet was slower than dialup speeds at the business center. It took me 15 minutes to print a boarding pass.

On site gift shop has some nice things.

The gym is very nice and the athletic clothes program is outstanding.

Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed in room 435 with windows facing the Park Hyatt on 24th St NW. The room was absolutely quiet and the view was generally nice for the 4th floor. The hotel location is really good since it's about a 3/4 of a mile walk to the White House and another 3/4 of a mile walk in the opposite direction to Georgetown. You get the best of both between sightseeing on the former and shopping and restaurants on the latter.

The hotel rooms are VERY expensive but everything is perfectly clean and well taken care of. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant just because of price, but fortunately there were other options close by.

Hotel parking is Valet only at $45 per night. I believe this is just a little more expensive than other options around the city. Street parking is available in the area if you can find it.

It's probably more of a personal thing, but neither of us liked the pillows. They're just too soft. Maybe the hotel offers other pillows? We did not ask since we were there for just one night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hendersonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I had a one night stay to use here. It was five star all the way. The front desk had my info from my reservation. My preferences were stored in the computer, I had work-out clothes wating in my sizes. The next morning my preferred newpaper was waiting for me. It was my wifes first stay. It reminded her of our vacations on cruise ships. The breakfast was the utimate topper. It was better than a cruise ship,or any other breakfast. If the chance ever comes to redeen poits from a club,this is the place to go.Georgetown is only a five minute walk away.

Room Tip: There are no bad sides to this place. I was given the city view. It had a virw of the starbucks acro...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I was ready to give this hotel a 5 star until I had to print my airline boarding pass the last night of my stay. The concierge directed me to the lobby where a boarding pass printing booth is located; the connection was very slow and I could not get to the site that would print my ticket. I brought it to the attention of the front desk attendant (immediately next to the booth) three times during the 20 mn it took me to realize that that booth was not going to help and three times, the attendant did not volunteer (and even refused) to print me a boarding pass on his apparently better working PC station (not a single person was waiting in line at the front desk to justify this request refusal and poor service). I was then directed to another boarding pass printing station in the lower floor (under the lobby) where all the PCs available were either not functioning or did not have an icon specific to my airline company (you could not access the main screen of the browser in any other way).
I spent two nights in that hotel for a meeting and truly enjoyed the cleanliness and spaciousness of the rooms and meeting facilities. I also enjoyed the proximity of the hotel to major Georgetown shopping and cultural attractions. It is pricey but worth staying in it ... if somebody else is paying the bill.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
FWDC, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Washington DC, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
We very much appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. It lets us know where we are succeeding in guest satisfaction and where we need to keep improving. Mark Andrew, regional vice president and general manager would like to invite you to reach out to him directly during your next visit to Washington, D.C.

Been to The Fairmont Washington DC? Share your experiences!