“An Intimate Escape” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Leesburg, Virginia
“An Intimate Escape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Churchill took good care of us. The Chartwell Lounge and Restaurant was very inviting and friendly with great food and drinks. The beds were comfortable and inviting. The rooms were big and well appointed. The room darkener shades were hidden, but when I figured them out, they conveniently allowed us to control the light coming in.

The location was great being a few blocks north of DuPont Circle. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MMenase, Front Office Manager at The Churchill Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
JoeLouise45, thank you for taking time to write a review about the Churchill Hotel Embassy Row and how pleasantly you enjoyed the Chartwell Lounge and Restaurant. I agree with you our property is located in a great neighborhood within walking distance to attractions, DuPont Metro, restaurants, bars and wonderful boutiques. Next time you are in the area, please make sure you come and visit us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,
MMenase

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I celebrated my birthday at the Churchill and had a great experience. The hotel has a great location in the heart of DuPont Circle activities. It is very charming, historic, clean and well appointed. Every thing worked well and had not one single issue in during our stay. What will make the experience most memorable was the staff. From arrival to departure the entire staff including: front desk, valets, bartenders and housekeeping were some of the nicest most accommodating staff I have experienced lately. Thank you to the entire team at the Churchill. I'm sure we will return.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MMenase, Front Office Manager at The Churchill Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Gerrit B,

Happy belated birthday and thank you for the glowing review! We truly appreciate that you took the time to share some thoughts about your recent experience with us. I hope we can expect to welcome you back again, perhaps next time for your wife's birthday.

Best Regards
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I found a great deal on Travelzoo to stay at the Churchill Hotel which included parking and breakfast - so glad that I came across the deal that introduced me to this great boutique hotel. The Churchill Hotel is right near Embassy Row and pretty convenient to everywhere we wanted to go. We managed to luck out and get upgraded to a junior suite which was had a fridge in the room as well. The bed was very comfortable and the room had plenty of space. Everyone that we spoke to at the hotel was helpful and friendly. The breakfast was yummy and they also have a daily happy hour at the bar as well. Overall I will come back here if we travel back to DC.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Connecticut Ave can be a bit noisy at times with all the traffic.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LynnS1,

We truly appreciate your taking the time to convey your great impression of the Churchill Embassy Row Hotel after your recent stay during your anniversary! I’m delighted you were able to take advantage of our Travel Zoo promotion, and hope we’ll have the privilege of welcoming you back in the future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Churchill Hotel was definitely a good experience, but nothing to rave about. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was lovely. However, the fridge was empty and there was no milk for the coffee in the morning. The windows did not have blackout shades, in fact the thick drapes/curtains didn't even pull across the window so there was no way to block out the sun in the mornings.
The hotel receptionists were very nice, but not the most knowledgeable. When we asked about making our way back to Dulles airport they said a taxi was the only way to get there which is untrue. When we told them about the Metro bus that goes to the airport, rather than helping us look up which station it departs from they would agree with whichever station we said...

Again though, the experience was good, comfortable and everyone was very friendly. I would definitely recommend it to friends

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MMenase, Front Office Manager at The Churchill Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Jenn I

Thank you for joining us here at the Churchill Embassy Row Hotel and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Am happy you found the beds to be comfortable, but am terribly sorry you were not able to pull the black out shades which are located behind the front decor shades that you mentioned would not pull . We would have been honored to assist you. All of our rooms are equipped with refrigerators and come empty as we do not stock them with mini bar munchies. Jen I , I will make sure I share your concerns with my staff so they will be knowledgeable about the transportation options to Dulles Airport from the Churchill Embassy Row Hotel. We look forward to your next visit .

Warmest Regards,
Wayne, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Location, Location, Location! First timers to the Washington DC area, our main reson for spending the weekend was going to a Mets/Nationals game. This lovely boutique hotel is close to Dupont Circle and the Metro within the Embassy Area. Easy access to Smithsonian, monuments and an easy Metro ride to Nationals Park. This hotel will be added to our list of boutique hotels (much better than chain hotels!). I love that this hotel is on the national register of historic hotels. The rooms were small but comfortable. Commenting on a prior review, the very clean bathroom was spacious and actually did seem bigger than the room itself. The staff was friendly and very accomodating. We will definitely stay here again when we return to see more of this city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear LindaN1960

Your positive remarks are very welcomed and appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about our hotel , and its prime location.

Warm regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Spent three days at Churchill and it is by far the best boutique hotel in DC. The Churchill staff are very friendly and so helpful. I personally had a wonderful experience with Milen Menase, the manager at Churchill. I stayed in a Junior Suite and I was lucky enough to obtain this as a complimentary upgrade with a great rate. The Junior Suite faced Connecticut Avenue and the views were gorgeous. There were large windows and Parisian like balconies. The bedding is exquisite along with the Tarocco amenities. The food at the restaurant is also excellent especially their dulce de leche cheesecake. I truly enjoyed! I felt like I was in Paris waking up in the morning. You are also just a walk away from boutique shops, a variety of restaurants, and mid to upscale salon/nail places. The Churchill is very comforting, relaxing, and peaceful, indeed. I will be back to stay again and recommend visitors to book their stay here.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny :)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
MMenase, Manager at The Churchill Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Rikka,

I am absolutely thrilled by the positive impression you have taken the time to express. When a guest recognizes and appreciates our commitment to deliver a wonderful experience, it is truly a rewarding feeling. I have taken the liberty of sharing your wonderful feedback with all involved, and am certain it will make everyone’s day. I am very much looking forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards,
Noida, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

As I entered the Lobby of the hotel, I felt really welcome. Churchill has the warmest staff. Located close to the Dupont Circle, the Hotel is close to Metro, fine restaurants and good shopping. Add to it their charmingly decorated huge rooms and large bathrooms. Not only are the rooms big but they also have a small ante room for working. The beds in the hotel were really comfortable. We could walk to the Adam's Morgan or Dupont circle for shopping/eating. The beautiful room key with the print of the famous Renoir painting from the Philips Collection, allows you to visit the Philips Collection without a fee. What I liked most about the hotel was its informality and the warmth of the staff which I have missed in most US Hotels. Its a lovely place to stay and I would certainly recommend this and would love to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MMenase, Front Office Manager at The Churchill Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear VTripathi,

I am elated by your praise! Thank you for conveying your impression of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am sure that the team here will be very encouraged by your compliments. The Churchill Embassy Row Hotel awaits you the next time you vacation in Washington DC.