“Great location!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sumgait
“Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in late September 2012. Though it need renovation, I was satisfied with the hotel. However there were some flaws in the operation of the hotel. For example I arrived on Saturday and had a meeting on Monday, I asked the staff for ironing my suit and dress shirt, but they told me that they do not provide the service on weekends. Of course I did not like the answer. But the location is good and safe, I was walking around the blocks near the hotel in the night, but never had a trouble. In the night there was not so much noise outside and I could have a good sleep.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Groningen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Large and lovely room with comfortable beds. Situated in the lively Dupond neighborhood within walking distance of the metro.
The only downside was the expensive internet access and difficult to hear desk clerk.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel itself is in a great area, within walking distance to several restaurants. I thought the service within the bar area for drinks and dinner was pretty good, though didn't appreciate the server standing with his back to the bar, watching the tv until I cleared my throat.

We had problems with the valet service. Each day, it was an adventure to see if they could find the car, and it often took 10 minutes. On the last day, my colleague thought he'd "beat the system", and called down 15 minutes before we ready to leave and asked for the car to be brought down. They called back and alerted him it was ready (which was great). When he arrived downstairs, it was the WRONG car. So, more waiting and waiting.

Room was clean. Beds were comfortable. The bathroom layout was a bit wonky with the doors to the sink/vanity part of the bathroom opening into the doors to the toilet/shower part of the bathroom. I did appreciate the extra nook in my room that gave me a full desk to work at, but wish the mini-fridge had power (I didn't call about it, as I just wanted to keep my Diet Coke cold).

Lastly, I stayed on the 2nd floor, and wished the heavier drapes weren't just vanity drapes, and could completely cover the sheers over the whole window. I faced a street, and could see pedestrians walking by. I'd like a little more privacy.

Overall, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here in room 922 for 3 nights , 7th, 8th, 9th of Oct. A nice hotel, quiet, clean rooms with comfortable beds. The monuments are "walkable", cabs are cheap. Friendly staff in a value for money hotel.

Room Tip: Try for a room out the back
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ct
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked 2 rooms in this hotel on booking.com. I had only one request from the hotel that we be on the highest floor possible. This helps to block out the street sounds. We were put on the second floor. Ok I can deal with that but starting at check in we were treated as if we were an inconvenience. We parked our car with the hotel valet service which was actually the only option we found at the hotel. When we came back out later they had lost our keys and it took 30 minutes to find them. We returned and parked with them again. We spent a sleepless night in the hotel due to sirens all night outside the window. The next morning we went out and had a very full day and returned exhausted only to find 2 dirty rooms. We called and asked why the rooms weren't clean and clean towels left and we were told they don't clean rooms every day. What the heck???? No clean room and no clean towels? They did send someone to clean the room and she said they do clean the rooms every day and she didn't know why they didn't clean ours.
To further demonstrate the lack of regular cleaning 2 doors down dirty trays set in the hall for our intire stay. Finally we checked out and asked for the car. This time they didn't lose the keys they had lost the car. I kid you not it took them forever to figure out where they parked our car. During all of the above we were being taken care of by kids who tried to run and do what needed to be done but obviously didn't have the experience or knowledge. Meanwhile some older and obviously more experienced staff stood around and chatted and yelled at the younger staff to do this and do that. These more experienced staff also talked down to us and behaved as if we were an anoyance and did the same to other clients we saw. I will never go back.
I have to say the waiter in the restraunt each morning was lovely and couldn't have been more attentive. I also have to say when we checked in the room appeared to be clean.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Room and location were good but service was bad. The receptionist Steven was unpleasant and rude. No complimentary water was placed in the ref. it took an hour and 3 follow ups before it arrived. Because of this type of service, we probably won't come back.

• Stayed October 2012
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was my first visit to Washington, DC and found a nice deal on this hotel. The staff were all friendly although not necessarily helpful when it came to tourist questions, they handed me one brochure from a sightseeing company. I was in a king suite which was very spacious and very clean. My only complaint on the room was the size of the bathroom. The Metro station is a half mile downhill from the hotel which is great in the morning; however the walk is a bit much after a long day of sightseeing and standing on your feet all day long. There are many dining establishments between the Metro Station and the hotel that you can stop in. The doorman will help you with a taxi but the one morning I needed one, it was raining and the taxi's were few and far between. I ended up running into a private car driver who helped me out at a significantly increased price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Churchill Hotel? Share your experiences!